Photo

TI99 and Tomy Tutor similarities

58 replies to this topic

#51 fabrice montupet OFFLINE  

fabrice montupet

Moonsweeper

• 384 posts

Posted Wed May 23, 2018 1:13 PM

The Mark 2 was a commercial failure, sold some months before Tomy decided to pull out of the Home Computer market. Very few people used it. The MKII has a better keyboard (however lower than the 99/4A, /5 and /8 keyboards) but Tomy shot itself in the foot making a stupid choice by killing the video composite and audio connectors. Using the computer on a TV set via the RF signal, in 1984, is an abomination.  TI made the same choice with its 99/2 Basic Computer.  As soon as, I received mine, I modified it to get a composite signal, much better.

Edited by fabrice montupet, Wed May 23, 2018 1:46 PM.

#52 ColorComputerStore OFFLINE  

ColorComputerStore

Chopper Commander

• 113 posts

Posted Wed Jun 6, 2018 3:55 PM

Hi

I've made RAM & ROM Cartridge for Original Pyuuta. You can play on ePyuta now.

http://d.hatena.ne.j...1230/1514598212

TINY BASIC

Pitfall!

Door Door

tanam

Subarashii.

#53 tanam1972 ONLINE  

tanam1972

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:14 PM

Thanks Ksarul, sounds like a plan. I'll contact you when the Pyuuta has arrived.  ;)

Did you play PITFALL! on Pyuuta? If no, then I can send you one ; )

http://d.hatena.ne.j...0305/1488681650

Thanks,

tanam

#54 retroclouds OFFLINE  

retroclouds

Stargunner

• 1,621 posts

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:03 PM

Did you play PITFALL! on Pyuuta? If no, then I can send you one ; )
http://d.hatena.ne.j...0305/1488681650

Thanks,
tanam

Yes please, I am interested. Would love to play it. Have a special relationship with Pitfall. ;-)

#55 retroclouds OFFLINE  

retroclouds

Stargunner

• 1,621 posts

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2018 2:18 PM

Hi people,

today I bought a Tomy Pyuuta Tutor (japanese version) for cheap (118 USD including shipping) 

Normally they are a lot more expensive, I've been watching ebay for more than a year now.

The idea is to tinker with it and I would at least like to see my Pitfall version running on it  ;-)

So the question is, can someone point me to the direction where I can get a homebrew cartridge board?

Also does anyone know, if it would be possible to turn a japanese Tutor into the american version by swapping ROM's ?

Ofcourse would be great if I can swap keyboard too, but I guess that won't be so easy.

Also have been wondering; what is the TI machine that comes closest to the Tutor? Would that be the TI-99/4a, TI-99/5 or TI-99/8 ?  :grin:

ok, people so a while a back I got the Tutor delivered from Japan. This is a though one, got it on ebay real cheap compared to the prices you normally see.

The thing is, it's in such a good condition. The operator manual looks brand new and I'm pretty sure the unit was never (or barely) used at all. Joysticks are in pristine condition too. This makes it hard for me to tinker with it.

Anyway I'm still in the process of getting a voltage step-up regulator so that I can run it in Europe. 

Here's some pictures. Oh, and big thanks to @tanam for his great gifts.  Really looking forward to play with these.

Attached File  IMG_20180705_215613.jpg   633.96KB   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20180705_215624.jpg   717.29KB   3 downloads

#56 acadiel OFFLINE  

acadiel

Stargunner

• 1,407 posts
  • www.hexbus.com

Posted Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:56 PM

The cartridges have many similarities to the TI ones...

• The back has an edged side like TI ones
  • The spring loaded piece
  • The bottom and the plastic 'clips' that hold the sides
  • The font on the labels "16 Bit Graphics Computer"

Attached Files

#57 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,697 posts

Posted Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:48 PM

A TI Cartridge case will fit perfectly into the cartridge opening for a Tutor as well, as the thin part of the TI case is the proper size to fill the cartridge well on a Tutor.

#58 retroclouds OFFLINE  

retroclouds

Stargunner

• 1,621 posts

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:34 AM

Are the physical paths the same as well? I mean would it take a lot of effort to for example turn Ralphs final rom cartridge in a tutor compatible version?

#59 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,697 posts

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:21 AM

I imagine it would be possible, but the pin out is definitely different. . .

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users