Photo

Centipede playable with a paddle?

13 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerSpaceFan OFFLINE  

ComputerSpaceFan

River Patroller

• 2,163 posts

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 4:49 PM

Is this a thing? Gamester81 says he prefers playing Centipede with a paddle but I can't get it to work.

#2 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,043 posts

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 5:02 PM

Never heard of that and can't seem to find a hack that allows for any kind of analog control either. Weird!

#3 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 20,337 posts

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 6:23 PM

There's several controller hacks for Centipede VCS.

Amiga Mouse

Atari CX-22

Atari CX-80

..that's all I know of. If there are more, let's hear about them!

Edited by Keatah, Tue Jan 9, 2018 6:33 PM.

#4 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 8,648 posts

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 6:43 PM

Uh, no. Centipede has x and y control, so it can't be played with a paddle. I suppose it could be set up to use the other paddle to control vertical movement, but that would be inconvenient IMO. A trackball would be cool though, but that would be more like using two driving controllers.

#5 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,043 posts

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 6:54 PM

There's several controller hacks for Centipede VCS.

Amiga Mouse
Atari CX-22
Atari CX-80

..that's all I know of. If there are more, let's hear about them!

Wow, finally found it! Wish these were to be found in the Hacks section. Becoming increasingly tricky trying to keep track of all this stuff.

http://atariage.com/...ck#entry3317929

So my initial hunch was correct... a trackball hack allows the paddles to operate in x-axis mode? Never thought to try that.   :lol:  

#6 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 20,337 posts

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 7:08 PM

Ok. looks like you just found it!

#7 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

Stargunner

• 1,413 posts

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 8:31 PM

Wow, finally found it! 

So my initial hunch was correct... a trackball hack allows the paddles to operate in x-axis mode? Never thought to try that.   :lol:  

Since moving in y-direction with the second paddle is impractical, if the centipede makes it to the bottom you are screwed, since you can't get out of the way.

#8 NE146 OFFLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 15,306 posts

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 9:23 PM

Yeah I was going to say.. if you can't move up & down what would be the point of this? :P

#9 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

Stargunner

• 1,413 posts

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 9:28 PM

If you could fix the x and y paddles to a frame arcade machine style, and fixed a button to always be pressed, you might have an interesting coordination exercise on your hands.

#10 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 20,337 posts

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 9:30 PM

Fuck'n Etch-A-Sketch

#11 alex_79 OFFLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,102 posts

Posted Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:02 AM

Wow, finally found it! 

That's an old version, the latest binaries for all the trackball hacks can be found on the first post of this thread.

#12 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 6,656 posts

Posted Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:17 AM

I thought cooperative gaming was a thing of the 21th century? I mean if you handle the X axis and the fire button, you could tell your friend to move vertically when needed. Like a co-pilot, whom you get to blame if they didn't move away in time.

#13 SpiceWare OFFLINE  

SpiceWare

Draconian

• 12,131 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:03 AM

I thought cooperative gaming was a thing of the 21th century? I mean if you handle the X axis and the fire button, you could tell your friend to move vertically when needed. Like a co-pilot, whom you get to blame if they didn't move away in time.

Back in the 86 or 87 I used to play cooperative Spindizzy with a friend on the C= 64.

Spindizzy can also be played with two players. The two player mode is very unusual though. One player controls the gyro up and down, the other player left and right.

#14 Arenafoot ONLINE  

Arenafoot

Stargunner

• 1,011 posts
  • videogamestores.net/

Posted Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:45 PM

Wow, finally found it! Wish these were to be found in the Hacks section. Becoming increasingly tricky trying to keep track of all this stuff.

They are listed on my Comprehensive Homebrew list, and after all I was the one who asked about a Centipede hack to use a trak-ball.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users