IGNORED

ADAM with WiModem232

The Evener

I've uploaded a video of the WiModem232 with the Coleco Adam. Telnet to the Borderline BBS.

Thanks for the video. Pretty cool to see the ADAM using a WiFi modem and connecting to a BBS thru TelNet in 2017! You might want to try using SmartTerm v1.02 by Keohoe Software for it's 40-column display compared to ADAMLink's 32 columns. I think SwiftLink v1.3 also displays in 40 columns. Heck, pull out that 80 column unit that I hooked you up with!!!

Edited by NIAD

• 6 months later...

Since I am on a 100% wired 1Gbps (1,000Mbps) home network, I did some more research on the 100% wired Ethernet to serial devices that simulate the function of a modem by using telnet methods (and at much faster speeds then any dialup modem every was). There appears to be only one Ethernet to DB9 serial device on the market that supports 1000Mbps networking speeds (most the rest are 100Mbps as the fastest connection). However, the problem is the IOLAN DG1 DB9 Serial Device Server is hard to find in the United States and it costs $285 (plus it only supports 230kbps over its serial ports).

There are some Chinese companies that claim to have Serial Device servers that operate around 960kbps to 1Mbps on the serial port. However they have to be imported into the United States and there is some issues with reliability issues with some of the brands.

I almost purchased the StarTech NETRS2321P that was released back in October of 2013 (5 year old model) because I liked the spec sheet and massive advertisements that mention that the serial port has a maximum speed of 460.8kbps. However, at the last minute, I took one more look at the owner’s manual and I discovered that the StarTech UART serial baud rate has a maximum speed of 230.4kbps. In addition, an online user review confirmed the specs are wrong and the StarTech NETRS2321P cannot do 460.8kbps as advertised and only offers a maximum speed of 230.4kbps. This turned me off to the StarTech NETRS2321P that has a list price of $154.99 and can be found online for as low as around $108 for a new unit. There are many other brands like this that list 460.8kbps or up to 1000kbps for the serial port in the specs but in reality can only do up to 230.4kbps.

I am not sure if the ADAM computer can handle speeds up to 230.4kbps. I do know that the existing software for the Micro Innovations dual serial and one parallel card (MIB3) can handle up to 19.2kbps. 19.2kbps modems and terminals was a high-end speed in the late 80’s. Now maybe with a software update the MIB3 card under ideal conditions might handle 115.2kbps but I do not believe the ADAM expansion ports can handle 230.4kbps speeds (I am not sure). It would be nice if the ADAM computer received a software update to handle 230.4kbps or 115.2kbps speeds over its serial connections. Most likely, that is not going to happen anytime soon. Surfing the Internet using telnet servers would be much faster at 230.4kbps. Some people are using these devices with more modern and faster computers that can do serial communications up to around 1Mbps (1,000kbps).

Most of the Ethernet to serial port servers on the market use DB9 serial ports (including the Star Tech NETRS2321P). This means most of the time a DB9 to DB25 serial port adapter needs to be used between the ADAM and the serial port server (Most ADAM serial cables are native DB25 instead of DB9). However, the advantage of using the Lantronix UDS1100-IAP Device Server is that it has a built in female DB25 jack that is software configurable for RS-232, RS-422, or RS-485. It also supports 100Mbps networking over a wired Ethernet connection. Serial data rates supported are between 300 to 230kbps. Its also the only one that I have seen that is UL listed. Plus like most others it has FCC certifications. The Lantronix UDS1100 normally sales for around $150, however Amazon is currently selling it for $112.57. Perhaps in the near future if I have time I well connect one of these to my ADAM computer so I can use text based Internet services over telnet. As far as I am aware no firewall or anti-virus software was every written for the ADAM computer. I doubt any programmer every wrote a EOS virus for one of the ADAM hard drives or floppy disks, but perhaps a virus might have existed for CP/M 2.2 or the TDOS operating system. In the 80’s most computer systems did not have viruses (The Apple computer did have a virus that someone made in the early 80’s that spread by floppy disks). Virus protection and Internet security became much more important starting around the mid 1995 with the Windows operating system (There were some IBM DOS viruses before Windows launched and the launch of BBS and the Internet made it easier for viruses to spread).

I see the price for the Serial to Ethernet converters have really dropped over the last 6 months to a year. People are purchasing generic models for as low as $21.15 directly from China. For $30 with free shipping some of the generic Chinese models are claiming speeds up to 460.8kbps. Some of the models for $38 and free shipping have built in WI-FI servers.

I have no plans on trying these very low cost generic Chinese models. I prefer to mess around with the higher end name brand Chinese models with a list price of around $150 and street price of around $115.

Maybe in the future I might connect an 80 column terminal to my ADAM computer. Does anyone make a serial to HDMI hardware based terminal emulator? I would hate to have to purchase an old used 80’s black and white 80-column terminal when it should be possible for an external hardware device to be able to emulate an 80 column terminal and output the signal to a modern day HDMI LCD flat panel computer monitor.

Edited by HDTV1080P

• 2 weeks later...

"Maybe in the future I might connect an 80 column terminal to my ADAM computer. Does anyone make a serial to HDMI hardware based terminal emulator? I would hate to have to purchase an old used 80’s black and white 80-column terminal when it should be possible for an external hardware device to be able to emulate an 80 column terminal and output the signal to a modern day HDMI LCD flat panel computer monitor."

Have you looked into using a Raspberry Pi as a terminal emulator? An RPi Zero W should do the trick.

Edited by LoTonah

• 2 years later...

Sorry for the bump, but could someone kindly confirm the power pin-out for the MIB2? One of my wires became disconnected from the power plug attachment, and then the second one as well, and I'm having my doubts about the pin-out so if someone could take a look at the schematics (there's an attachment on the first page) or if they know off hand the power requirements for the MIB2, that would be awesome.

The MIB2 was a strange one with an outside power tap grabbing +12 and -5 for the two MC1488 232D drivers. I’m attaching the power pinout from the schematics of the gamma board. You still have one wire attached and that should let you know if it’s -5 or +12 and use process of elimination to know what the broken wire is.

ADAM_DB9.jpg

2 hours ago, Tekman said:

The MIB2 was a strange one with an outside power tap grabbing +12 and -5 for the two MC1488 232D drivers. I’m attaching the power pinout from the schematics of the gamma board. You still have one wire attached and that should let you know if it’s -5 or +12 and use process of elimination to know what the broken wire is.

Tekman, you're a life saver! Thanks for your speedy response and for diving into the schematics for me given my lack of agility. I actually ended up breaking both wires, but I recalled that the +12 was the outside pin. I thought that the other pin was going to be connected to pin 3 for 5 volts, so thanks for the save. I resoldered and all is well again - thanks again