IGNORED

Atari SpartaDOS X case

COREi64

Thought I'd share some information on my latest Atari 3D design project.

Upon request from a fellow Atari enthusiast, I came up with a new cartridge case. For the Atari SpartaDOS X cartridge.

I based the design on the cartridge I obtained from bitsofthepast.com. Quite a nicely built cartridge I have to say.

The design I came up with is a three part design with two optional top designs.

The base obviously holds the cartridge board. The two lids I have are one that will accept a label, and the other has an SDX embossed into the lid. The cap has the little tabs on it that will activate the cover on the base of many cartridge designs (you know what I'm talkin about).

The entire case (cap and shells) are held on with heatsets and black oxide M2 screws.

This case design will fit all 8 bit atari's including the 1200XL

Lemme know what you think.

COREi64

IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2678.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

Edited by COREi64
  • Like 9

Looks nice and you could put Xpress, R-Time, or Ult Time on those face plates as well I do have a suggestion for stability and safety though.... when it's plugged into PBI extender boards etc. the extra cart flap at the bottom and inside the front with the slots at the top.. it keeps other stacked carts from rocking and etc... it does not have to be perfect just and inch and a half or so centered on the front. It really saves the day when accidental push happens from real life reaching about occurs... reverse plug ins etc.

post-21949-0-62488400-1515553697_thumb.jpgpost-21949-0-95009800-1515553738_thumb.jpgpost-21949-0-33132400-1515553789_thumb.jpg

The 'key and step' prevent insertion of the cartridge in a reversed or backwards position. The large billboard with the names on them are not as important as the key bumps and step hidden behind it...

post-21949-0-84788300-1515555690_thumb.jpgpost-21949-0-72863200-1515555719_thumb.jpg

Edited by _The Doctor__

To make your design the best out there,

replicate the keyed bottom edge and the step with bumps at the top ...without the billboard it's perfectly functional! and still easy to produce.

Pretty darn sharp!

While some might want the billboard it would not have to stick out like it does, I've never seen a cart come close to touching it. it could be half the distance it currently sits from the front face of the cart case.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Thought I'd share some information on my latest Atari 3D design project.

Upon request from a fellow Atari enthusiast, I came up with a new cartridge case. For the Atari SpartaDOS X cartridge.

I based the design on the cartridge I obtained from bitsofthepast.com. Quite a nicely built cartridge I have to say.

The design I came up with is a three part design with two optional top designs.

The base obviously holds the cartridge board. The two lids I have are one that will accept a label, and the other has an SDX embossed into the lid. The cap has the little tabs on it that will activate the cover on the base of many cartridge designs (you know what I'm talkin about).

The entire case (cap and shells) are held on with heatsets and black oxide M2 screws.

This case design will fit all 8 bit atari's including the 1200XL

Lemme know what you think.

COREi64

IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2678.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

Please make sure to include the FTe / DLT logo on there somewhere. :)

Looks great!

Thank-you so much for the photos and your comments!

I had never seen good photos of the original cartridge, and initially wasn't sure what you meant in your description of the problem.

I will revise the design to include that and will post photos of the results!

P.S. I've revised the cap to include the stops and shield, and it's on the printer now. Will test it on the cartridge tomorrow and will report the results. One thing however is that with the shield, the cartridge will no longer fit in the 1200XL. Think I'll keep both caps available. Might be someone that just wants to stick the cartridge right into their 1200XL. For everyone else, the shield option will be there too!

Edited by COREi64
  • Like 2

This is really cool work. I sure wish I could find my original SDX case! I found my RTime8 case which now containes MacRories Reimaged PCB.

Personally, i think ICD should be more prominently memorialized than FTe, and I prefer the Stilized X on the original SDX logo :D

post-53052-0-17686600-1515571720.gif

• Like 1

drac030

Your SpartaDOS X Upgrade Project link in your signature lines does need to be updated as spartados.com is a dead link...

The only DLT 'logo' I have seen is just the Atascii Graphic stylized font with shadow on the Manual...but I could be wrong... however I would love some screen shots of the FTe logo, as there must have been one!

Edited by _The Doctor__

Here's the result of last night's key'd shield update to the hat on the top of the cartridge.

Quite pleased with the fit. There is absolutely no way to plug a cartridge in the wrong way now, with this update. I have one more minor update to do and it will be done. Just a small fillet and a quarter mm adjustment on the key. It will look essentially the same.

As previously mentioned however, with the shield, it won't fit in an Atari 1200XL anymore, but I'll keep the non-shield version available for that application.

What do ya think?

IMG_2690.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2702.jpg

• Like 6

WOW! That looks even better than I was expecting :)

I am afraid to suggest that the Hat (billboard) be adjusted at all because it looks so sharp! You could thin the Hat into the key and It might fit the 1200XL... the original cart fits some 1200xl but not others in that tunnel by a mere fraction..... although you stated adjusting key a millimeter might already be just that.

You have done a heck of a job! This is gorgeous! Amazing speed with attention to details!

Edited by _The Doctor__

Thanks for the suggestion and the kind words of encouragement!

I can pull the billboard/hat inward 3mm and blend it into the key. I had made it the way I did to make it strong, but after a bit of thought, think that I could perhaps thin it out and retain the strength.

Let's see what I can come up with while retaining the current look!

Thomas

All my printers are running right now, so I can't print it for an hour or so... here is the revised render of the billboard/hat. It's now 3mm thinner, and tucked in as tight as I could get it while still working with the widest factory cartridge I can find.

Will see what it looks like in a few hours when a printer becomes free'd up and how it ACTUALLY fits/works!

Thomas

2018-01-10_15h21_18.jpg2018-01-10_15h21_42.jpg

• Like 5

Ok. Since printing the thinned curved billboard version of the hat, I've been having some problems consistently getting the face to print defect free. Been getting a bit of erosion on part of the face on some of my printers (think I may have a bur on one of my nozzles). So, I took that opportunity to try something different also fits the Atari 1200XL tunnel just fine. It's a flat billboard version of the hat. It's the same width as the original curved billboard, and I strengthened it at the base of the key so it's very strong even though it's thin. I made it as thin as I could while still being able to retain infill. Think I'm starting to talk 3D gobbldy-gook now!

In the end, I now have a few different variants of this cartridge that all work.

Anyways, the bottom line is this billboard/hat is strong and thin. It prevents cartridges from wobbling and there is no way you can plug a cartridge in backwards on this case! I think I can mark this one as mission accomplished...

Thomas

IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

• Like 4

Diamond GOS Supercart was in this Cartridge shell as well, what was the other remaining cart that used pass cart?

I thought Corei64 was offering as a blank plate for your own label OR raised SD X your choice sort of deal...

but yeah There's a few that use this passthrough cart shell

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1