IGNORED

Flashback portable paddles?

I'm looking into getting a flashback portable. I assumed that it didn't support paddles, but I noticed that it does have kaboom built in. Am I missing something? (I googled but nothing)

It does not support paddles and won't in the 2018 version either. We have a candidate design for an onboard paddle, but it might not make it in until at least the 2019 model. As with all Flashback models, you can play paddle games with the joystick (or, in this case, the d-pad). It's not ideal, but it does work.

It does not support paddles and won't in the 2018 version either. We have a candidate design for an onboard paddle, but it might not make it in until at least the 2019 model. As with all Flashback models, you can play paddle games with the joystick (or, in this case, the d-pad). It's not ideal, but it does work.

How about a larger display? If the 2019 model has a larger display and onboard paddle, then this will be a winner.:)

• Like 2

How about a larger display? If the 2019 model has a larger display and onboard paddle, then this will be a winner. :)

The 2018 model will not have a larger display. It's too early to say anything about the 2019 model since the 2018 would have to be produced, etc., before any work begins on that.

Based on what I'm seeing with the improvements and additions made to the 2018 model, it will still likely be worth the upgrade for those with 2016 or 2017 models. I agree there was less of a compelling reason to upgrade from the 2016 to the 2017 model because most of the changes were relatively minor tweaks, but there's some more substantive changes for 2018.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I agree there was less of a compelling reason to upgrade from the 2016 to the 2017 model because most of the changes were relatively minor tweaks, but there's some more substantive changes for 2018.

2016 vs 2017 differences:

smaller screen (2017)

different D-pad (2017)

10 extra built-in games (2017)

an accessible battery on back (2017)

one game works on 2017 that was modified to work on the 2016

Am I missing anything Bill?

2016 vs 2017 differences:

smaller screen (2017)

different D-pad (2017)

10 extra built-in games (2017)

an accessible battery on back (2017)

one game works on 2017 that was modified to work on the 2016

Am I missing anything Bill?

The UI/UX is a bit different. For instance, the TV Type switch is no longer persistent. Also, not all 2016 portables had the larger screen as far as I know.

• Like 2

The 2018 model will not have a larger display. It's too early to say anything about the 2019 model since the 2018 would have to be produced, etc., before any work begins on that.

Based on what I'm seeing with the improvements and additions made to the 2018 model, it will still likely be worth the upgrade for those with 2016 or 2017 models. I agree there was less of a compelling reason to upgrade from the 2016 to the 2017 model because most of the changes were relatively minor tweaks, but there's some more substantive changes for 2018.

I would like to see them just merge the FB and FB portable, which would basically be the 2018 flashback portable with SD card, controller ports and optional HDMI output to TV. A 4" diag screen would also be nice.

• Like 3

The UI/UX is a bit different. For instance, the TV Type switch is no longer persistent. Also, not all 2016 portables had the larger screen as far as I know.

I forgot about the constant scroll at the bottom of the menu screen on the 2017 unit (www.atgames.us scroll).

Any chance you can elaborate on the "more substantive changes for 2018" ?

Edited by thetick1

• 3 weeks later...

Any chance that the 2018 version will have a cart slot? Or we will be able to put one in like the flashback 2?

It would be good competition agains the retron 77. Especially if you could do an Atari on a chip with HDMI

No cart slots on the Atari side. However, expect something arguably better across the line.

Idk, might as well get a retropi then. These carts need using :P

An SD card slot! This will allow you to play any compatible Atari 2600 game on the Flashback console (not to be confused with the portable). This would be the Holy Grail of Atari flashbacks if it actually happens!

• Like 1