IGNORED

How many unsold Jaguar consoles did Atari dispose or "recycle"?

Pink

My Kay bee toys had them for a long time. I think they even hooked up a kiosk to generate interest in their piles of stuff years after the Jaguar was dead. I didn't buy any of it at the time, too busy with playstation.

Yeah, I bought the vast majority of my "rare" original purchases of Atari stuff from Kay Bee when they were blowing them out. I paid $25 per system, boxed, new. CD games were $7 bucks, cartridge games were $5 bucks. So like... Wolf 3D was $5, and yes... Primal Rage was $7...

• Like 1

Yeah, I bought the vast majority of my "rare" original purchases of Atari stuff from Kay Bee when they were blowing them out. I paid $25 per system, boxed, new. CD games were $7 bucks, cartridge games were $5 bucks. So like... Wolf 3D was $5, and yes... Primal Rage was $7...

Dude super jealous! My KayBee didn't have any of the good ones. I still got Wolfenstein 3D but it was a few years after the Jag was gone at a used game store for $15 CIB. That's one of the games I'll never get rid of.

Dude super jealous! My KayBee didn't have any of the good ones. I still got Wolfenstein 3D but it was a few years after the Jag was gone at a used game store for $15 CIB. That's one of the games I'll never get rid of.

Hah, I know... it was crazy. I spent maybe $175 bucks, and got like 14 games, and 2 systems. I bought CD games even though I didn't have the drive. They still wanted an absurd amount for the CD Drive (they were asking like over $100 for it), so I ended up getting one later on from GO ATARI.

• 2 weeks later...

In the UK, Electronic's Boutique (one of our first video games shop) had them all piled up in a shop I visited in Scotland in the 90s - consoles were £5 each, and games were all £5 - there was a huge pile of consoles and games, and I bought two, and about 14 games... They just wanted rid of the machines I guess

I had done the same years earlier when Colecovision stopped selling in the UK and walked into a local Co-Op store that had Colecovisions with 5 games on a huge reduction.

Actually I also did the same with Nintendo 64 when that was coming to an end and someone wanted one for Xmas - Toys R Us in the UK had an offer on for the machine with 5 games (Mickeys Speedway, Excitebike, and 3 others) and that was £100 or £50, I can't remember which.

I didn't need to buy one for myself having had a 'Star Letter' in Computer and Video Games magazine and got mine from that letter as the prize for a star letter was a N64 and 5 games of your choice - nice people that they were they ended up sending me the prize out twice, so that was a good pay day for one 'Star Letter' - two Nintendo 64s and 10 games - just don't tell anyone! lol

• Like 1

Unfortunately for me, when Jaguars were on clearance i had almost abandoned videos games for a more lucrative hobby, girls and getting action. Didnt think I would come full circle 25 years later and going crazy with buying video games. Still like girls more, but married now so more time to collect games.

RE the OP's question:

I doubt any were trashed or disposed of. They have always had value (no matter how small at times) as a liquidation asset for someone. There is NOS that has changed hands a few times i'm sure, but there is a reason you could still get them new from Best or B&C up to about 5 years ago, and why there was a trickle of the Motherboards on eBay for some time as well. I don't think ANY were deliberately destroyed or tossed, and i've never seen or heard evidence that they were either.

• Like 2

Does anyone have a copy/scan of the Tiger Direct catalog deal? I remember they were selling a buttload of Jaguar stuff in a big, cheap bundle, but can't recall exactly what was in it. I was all jag'ed up from scrounging bargain bins at the time, but if I weren't, I would have leapt at the Tiger deal, because, you know, buttload of video games. Even bad ones were fun in sufficiently large quantities at low prices.

Edit: this is about as good as it gets, and lines up with what I remember. I think I might have bought up all the Jag CD stuff from them, not sure anymore. Prices were low because demand was nonexistent. That's where my head is right now regarding the "value" of Jaguar games; it's insane to me that people are paying hundreds of dollars on eBay for this stuff. In my mind, a new Jaguar with a bunch of crap games should cost sixty dollars shipped.

Tiger mentions Nintendo 64 from "last holiday season," which would likely place this in early 1997. Vintagecomputing.com has lots of fun things like this and I'm glad they're out there. Benj Edwards is a treasure.

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/1012/retro-scan-of-the-week-atari-jaguar-in-tigerdirect

post-2410-0-09132100-1539299919_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

RE the OP's question:

I doubt any were trashed or disposed of. They have always had value (no matter how small at times) as a liquidation asset for someone. There is NOS that has changed hands a few times i'm sure, but there is a reason you could still get them new from Best or B&C up to about 5 years ago, and why there was a trickle of the Motherboards on eBay for some time as well. I don't think ANY were deliberately destroyed or tossed, and i've never seen or heard evidence that they were either.

Thank you for the non snark answer. Kudos.