IGNORED

Is My Atari 5200 Supersytem New? If So Whats it worth?

Ninja505

Hi Atari Fans , I Came Across This Old Atari 5200 SuperSystem Box (Box Kinda Beat Up) That i now Own , And Inside Was The Complete System Looking Brand New Everything Still Boxed & Packaged Like As If I Just Bought It new&Sealed. I looked On Ebay for Value But All Being Sold there looked Used & old . Ive Been Itching To Hook It Up And Give It A Go But dont know Exactly if Thats The Right Choice not knowing If This System Has Ever Been even Hooked Up and if so , Does It Affect The Value , and How Do I lnow For Sure If Its Really Never Been Plugged or used when everything Is Pachaged And Looks Beyond Well Taken Care Of . Inside The Box Is The System With Packaged Foam, and Next to It In A Smaller Box are 2 Controllers in what seems Brand shiny new & original Packaging, White Box That Holds Power Adapter that has the Atari Logo also looks New ,2 Games Both in Original Boxes With Game Manuels Inside 1. PACMAN 2. CENTIPEDE. The Games Owners Manuel & also Has The Atari 5200 Limited 90 day Blue N White Warranty Paper w/4 Regional service Centers listings , and last it has the original Atari mail in Rebate $30 filled out & Signed By Buyer 1/3/83 . So My Questions are 1. Is My Atari New and Never Been hooked up If not How Can I tell? How Much Is My Atari Really Worth & Does It Increase the Value If i have the Manuels and Rebate Forms ? And Is Everything In The My System The Original Parts For This System ? And should i avoid Playing it or even Hooking it up If Im Planning To Sell? Can Anyone Help?

It's worth as much as texting in a message while capitalizing 90 percent of the words in it is worth (without including pictures) as your first post. Check ebay sold listings for comparable prices. If you want a more direct value assessment there will be a fee in the form of a $50 donation to the AtariAge server costs. We are not here to help randoms on the internet make money. Good luck with your sale.

• Like 2

If Im Misusing this website features and intended use i apologize, im not on here to sell , ive always been wanting to get my childhood toy wich i now have , All i wanted was to get feedback from experts on exactly what i have Is all new & original and if its worth more as is than me playing it . As for capital letters i usued voice text , and I have lots of Pictures i can provide but no knowledge on how to Upload em from my phone .

You are not misusing this website. And as far as I recall, AtariAge doesn't charge for equipment evaluations. But it is general internet etiquette to make an introductory post. Here or everywhere, including real-life.

1 - Is your Atari new? I haven't the slightest idea. No one here can answer that.

2 - How can you tell? Not by any do-it-yourself methods. There are forensics that can answer that. But you can't afford those services.

3 - How much is it worth? It is worth exactly what someone will pay for it. You can check eBay to see what previous sales closed at.

4 - Do rebate forms and manuals and other documentation increase the value of an item. Absolutely yes.

5 - And is everything in my system complete and original? Can't really say by reading a text-only description.

6 - Should you avoid playing it or hooking it up? That's totally up to you. But I can tell you tested & working systems always sell for more money.

Pictures would help. If you can't send them from a phone, send them from a computer. The MORE REPLY OPTIONS in the orange box will present you with a dialog to which you can use to select photos and upload them. You may not see that on your phone, or it may not work on your phone.

• Like 1

As for my all capitals post should of pointed out ive already tried ebay comparing to other systems beimg sold and all of em are used and i know new/used items change the value of things,

It's worth as much as texting in a message while capitalizing 90 percent of the words in it is worth (without including pictures) as your first post. Check ebay sold listings for comparable prices. If you want a more direct value assessment there will be a fee in the form of a $50 donation to the AtariAge server costs. We are not here to help randoms on the internet make money. Good luck with your sale.

Thanks your reply was really helpful, i cant seem to upload photos from my phone and I guess i should of asked correctly if my System was new, When i should be asking , Everything inside looks completely new except for the console that has minor scratches from people opening the box and probably checking it out , so if i sell should i list it as new ? If not how would u describe the minor details of console when tge games , adapters , and Controllers look flawless ?? ,

You are not misusing this website. And as far as I recall, AtariAge doesn't charge for equipment evaluations. But it is general internet etiquette to make an introductory post. Here or everywhere, including real-life.

1 - Is your Atari new? I haven't the slightest idea. No one here can answer that.

2 - How can you tell? Not by any do-it-yourself methods. There are forensics that can answer that. But you can't afford those services.

3 - How much is it worth? It is worth exactly what someone will pay for it. You can check eBay to see what previous sales closed at.

4 - Do rebate forms and manuals and other documentation increase the value of an item. Absolutely yes.

5 - And is everything in my system complete and original? Can't really say by reading a text-only description.

6 - Should you avoid playing it or hooking it up? That's totally up to you. But I can tell you tested & working systems always sell for more money.

Pictures would help. If you can't send them from a phone, send them from a computer. The MORE REPLY OPTIONS in the orange box will present you with a dialog to which you can use to select photos and upload them. You may not see that on your phone, or it may not work on your phone.

Well.. I do see some scratches and wear/swirl marks on the console. And some dust accumulation on the controllers and console. I think you'll have to list this as used, but in good condition. I can't imagine this not having been played with at one point. You're going to have to test the operation of the controllers, especially these 5200 controllers. They have a "reputation".

I don't write ebay descriptions for other's auctions. So.. If you're at a loss for words, simply tell prospective buyers to reference the photos and ask any questions. I'm pretty sure ebay still lets you do 12, and a link to more. It's been a while since I sold anything that needed more than 5 or 6 photos.

And don't forget to include an "overall" summary photo that shows everything the buyer will get. It looks nice. Then in the other pics, you can zoom in and highlight perfection or flaws.

Edited by Keatah

I'd be pissed if I bought that thinking it was new. Clearly it's not. So whatever Ebay listing you see for a complete system in original box should get you a small premium. You will need to hook it up and play it to make sure it works. The controllers probably won't work and will need to be repaired. Not a big deal but will cost you about $46 each to replace the circuit board and buttons in the controllers.

But is it new? From the pictures I wouldn't even call it mint. Hook it up and play! 5200 is my favorite system. And even if it was brand new you're not sitting on a gold mine as the 5200 doesn't get any respect, largely due to the aforementioned controllers.

Edited by Hank Rearden
  • Like 1

Right On Guys Thanks For All your Help , Im Sure ill play It For Awhile Before and if I do Decide To Sell It , the Blue Film Was On The comsole But was already Peeling off , and as for the Controllers , they Didnt come With The Film . I came Up On This Atari When I Was Working On A buddies Camaro Swapping Engine and Transmission in His Back Yard that took Few Days , As I was Working I Kept Admirimg The Atari Box Sitting Outside Next to the Camoro Sitting on a set of Tires Thinking Nothing was In It . On the Last Day Finishing the Job We Drank a few brews and I Pointed Out How Ive Been Wanting To Get An Atari like the pic in The Box . He Said The System Is completely Inside and Asked me If I wantes to Buy , I said I would if i had cash i only got $20 , As srunk as he was he said he Knew He was Gonna Regret it in the Am , And said hand Over the 20 and its Yours , Now Hurry Up And Put It Imside Your Car Before i change my mind . That was a couple months ago and been itching To Play But Thought Id Better Look More into the Value . So Thank U all For Your Advice Knowing That i can finally Get My Game On Without Beimg Worried I might Ruin The Chances of Actually Sitting On A GoldMine . I appreciate all u for Replying and Giving Me Knowledge and Pointers On A System I Knew Very Little About . This Site Was The Only Place I Learned what i needed to Know and I Greatly Appreciate everyones Input On This System .

And The Only Other Question I Had Was , Once I Hook It Up Check It Out and Assuming Everything Works , If This Exact System Was Yours , What Would Be The Best Way and Where to go About on Selling This System ? And Ruffly What would U Price This As Usuing The Info I Gave On It ? Any Advice I should Know before selling ? Coming From A person Who has Never Sold Anything Online Only Because Always Afraid Of getting Scammed Not Knowing The Person On The Other End . Ive Bought On Ebay only . I tried Selling This System last Month Starting Bid $150 or Buy Now For $200 With no No Luck Or Even The Slightest Interest On Buyers When Other 5200 Atari Systems That are in way worst Condition & Getting Bids for $300+ . What did I do Wrong ?

Edited by Ninja505

Gaah, throw some paragraphs with an empty line between for an easier read.To see your condensed text, open your post in a regular PC.Your phone possibly not sending the correct javascript matched to the forum to support paragraphs?

Anyways, concur with other replies. The missing pink protector and scratched metal confirm definitely not new though in very good condition otherwise. The owner probably had it setup for game play and reboxed it after moving on. Great job by the owner keeping all the cardboard inserts.

I cannot tell from the pictures if a four or two port console. If a four port with single power and RF lead, plug the power in last to avoid frying the auto switch connector.

• Like 2

[its a 2 Controller Input System And Sorry about Havin Difficultties Reading My Posts . Im a Newbie at This And Still Have Problems With My Writing and word placement as English Being My 2nd Language and Spanish Being My Primary Language in Reading & Writing. So I Do Forget My Placement on wording Things & Writing Wich is why I Voice Text.Having said that I did Take off The Film From Console because it was badly Peeling. And Looking at It seems only 2 Controllers can Be Hooked up.Whats The Difference between the 4 and 2 systems besides the obvious being anle to commect 2-4 Controllers? I will take your Advice on plugging in The Power cord Last becuase i dint Wanna Ruin A Good Thing . Thanks For your input i do appreciate it . quote name=CRTGAMER" post="3932832" timestamp="1515688250]

Gaah, throw some paragraphs with an empty line between for an easier read.To see your condensed text, open your post in a regular PC.Your phone possibly not sending the correct javascript matched to the forum to support paragraphs?

Anyways, concur with other replies. The missing pink protector and scratched metal confirm definitely not new though in very good condition otherwise. The owner probably had it setup for game play and reboxed it after moving on. Great job by the owner keeping all the cardboard inserts.

I cannot tell from the pictures if a four or two port console. If a four port with single power and RF lead, plug the power in last to avoid frying the auto switch connector.

Edited by Ninja505

I just looked at all sold listing and almost every one of them sold over $200 for a reason. Either a ton of games, modded for better video, or are actually new in box.

If you don't want it list it auction style starting at a low bid. I can almost guarantee you'll make money on your $20. It might even get over $100 but only if it is in complete working order. 2 working controllers with modern rebuild kits are worth more that the console itself.

Good luck.

He did state he hadn't sold anything online before. That too will hurt a new sale for anything nearing $100 since you have no real feedback on Ebay. I've been on Ebay since it pretty much existed and I have difficulty selling things (Though I haven't in many years!!), because my feedback isn't much.

Your best bet would be to try and sell it here in our AtariAge Market Place forum. But you have to be test it fully and provide some pics of it up and running.

And the biggest clue to me it wasn't new besides the lack of the pink plastic over the console and controllers...was the the overlays were attached to the controllers. That doesn't happen by itself. So that meant both games had been opened up at least once and the overlays for Centipede being on the controllers meant the console at least played Centipede last.

I actually have a near mint and near new 5200 in the box and besides the pink plastic protective strips on everything, I think the console itself is in a large pink or clear bag?

Think of it this way , If your Shopping at Walmart outside or at the Entrance They Have Soda Pop Vending Machine That Sells Single Cans 50 .

Your Feeling Thirsty So U Drop Your Quarters Select Product and Usually It Dispenses Your Pop Out Cold And Sealed.

Now Most of The time the cans come out all dirty dented and even scratched. When This Happens Do you Consider the Can Used or New because the way u see it is Buying a whole 12 pack The Produce and Cand Dont Come out dented And that's Usually the fact .

Irrelevant ? Maybe But Im Only Metaphorically Speaking .

So to To Get as close as close as Possible to Explain Y i might think that is From Experience Working @ Walmart Unloading Trucks On The GM Trucks . Fun Fact about Walmart alot of Customers dont know We Recieve Usually anywhere From Usually 800-3,200 Pieces Of Merchandise

In The GM Truck We Reacieve Furniture all Electronics, Toys , , Hardware Almost everything Even Groceries Yes Even Thought We Have A seperate Grocery Truck I still Wondee Why They Cram Everything In The GM Truck And I Mean Crammed Up In There Sometimes Just Thrown In There Or Truck Pulls Up Wthe Fallen pallets of Merchandise Wich is a mess To Clean Unload .

Whays My Piont To all This ?

Having that said I've witnessed brand new 60 inch TVs used as Pallets With Heavy Merchandise Stacked On Top , Ive Seen Stacks of Casses Of Broken Ragu Pasta Sauce Drenching Brand New Boxes With XBox 1 and PS4 . Even Liquid Laundry Detergent Has Ruined Brand new consoles.

Now sometimes and I mean rarely will send stuff back but most the time we clean up the box sometimes even replacing air taking out consuls that were brand new To Clean Up And Repackage To send out on the floor to stock and still sell it as new . That's not my this might not be the case for every Walmart store but it is for mine and usually we received two sometimes even three trucks a Day .and it does happen often we get Damage merchandise and usually Clean or Fix to Put out to sell New.

Having this said just because my consul is dirty it did have that pink film like New Orleans do on it but was mostly peeled Off. Now having all that said I really thought maybe this consul might be new

Your Probably Right However From

How on Earth would you ever entertain the idea that this was new? It's an average condition well USED system that is complete in the box. Nothing more.[/quote

As soda pop cans go through the loading and dispensing process from a vending machine, they're almost expected and understood to be dinged up a little. But the product itself, the soda, is sealed and hasn't been consumed. It is new.

The deal with wal-mart repackaging damaged items.. None of it has been sold to the public yet, therefore it is technically new. New Open Box, and should be discounted accordingly. But it usually isn't, and no one complains. If they do, they just get another replacement item. And the company "gambles" that this time it is New-Unopened.

It seems to be easier for retailers to work that way then it is to pay workers to evaluate and professionally replace/repackage items exactly like from the factory.

---

You can certainly sell your 5200 on ebay as new open box. Or new. Or whatever - and risk some backlash from the buyer if it not absolutely pristine.

If I was buying something new I would expect original mfg seals and bags and tape, along with a factory-fresh box and documentation.

You can also list it as new-other, and then describe the faults and differences compared to an un-opened unit

---

Would I buy this unit if it was listed as new and I was looking for a new unit? No I wouldn't.

@ Ninja505 - Your soda analogy does not make correlate to the 5200 "new" issue. Yes, at times soda cans come out dented from a vending machine, but expected and falls in the who cares category. Consumable one time use vs the game console that will not one time use thrown away. Well depends on the gamer that always wants the newest system, but that is another thread. :lol:

New in box should be sealed and definitely not scratched. The only way the scratches on the aluminum and without the factory pink wrap obvious the console was set up for game play by the original owner. Still, a decent find with all the packaging, just silly to be labeled as brand new.

To answer your earlier query, the four controller port model is the one that has a unique single RF/Power cable setup with auto switch video box. That is the version that you have to take care of plugging in the power last to avoid damaging the auto switch box. No real major differences between the two vs four port other then compatibility of just a couple of games and the 2600 adapter. Definitely try out some of the games, the Williams arcade ports well done. Defender, Robotron and Joust all spot on! If you can find the beautiful 5200 Arcade sized Trakball, you are in for a treat for Centipede, Missile Command and the very cool Tempest game available here on Atari Age.

Atari Age Tempest - https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1036

It is used, period. It is in decent shape, granted, but working controllers are key. You have to test the system and those controllers. Otherwise, you have to be honest and sell as is, and you won't get much trying to sell it that way (probably not worth your time if you are not going to fully test it).

• Like 2