Photo

Are new Arcade Games still being released in North America?

Arcade North America

9 replies to this topic

#1 travistouchdown OFFLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• 3,796 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:51 AM

Are they--In cabinet form?  I haven't seen anything in ages (granted I live in a small rural state.)

There are some good local retro-themed barcades and I see stuff up to the early 2ks, but I can't recall having seen a NEW arcade game in ages.

Obviously they still make them in Japan and elsewhere but has anyone seen anything in NA? 

#2 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 12,076 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:03 AM

#3 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Just a regular dude.

• 25,120 posts
  • Meh

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:15 AM

There's some indie arcade games...

Cosmotrons is a new one

Skycurser

Galloping Ghost is working on a fighting game called Dark Presence

Really, it seems like there's a whole new homebrew arcade scene. 

<rant>

If Atari wants to come back, it should license its name to hombrew arcade machine developers.

</rant>

Of course early prototype machines are showing up, but I'm assuming that's not what you meant

Edited by Inky, Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:15 AM.

#4 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

River Patroller

• 3,325 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:05 AM

There's a new TMNT cabinet using the modern cgi cartoon art, 4 player, appears to want to act like the old Konami stuff.  There's also quite a few gun/driving games still popping up in huge sit down beasts too just far more detailed than stuff 20-30 years ago.

#5 zzip OFFLINE  

zzip

Stargunner

• 1,821 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:16 PM

Are they--In cabinet form?  I haven't seen anything in ages (granted I live in a small rural state.)

There are some good local retro-themed barcades and I see stuff up to the early 2ks, but I can't recall having seen a NEW arcade game in ages.

Obviously they still make them in Japan and elsewhere but has anyone seen anything in NA? 

Having been in a Dave and Busters and other modern arcades,  I'd say yes!

The new arcade machines are different from the classics.   They don't stick to the classic form factor,  they are larger, brighter, and often have feature games from well known mobile game franchises. 

#6 JamesD ONLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 7,959 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:43 PM

A lot of the modern games target the Dave and Busters type of establishment where head to head play is popular.
You often hold a gun, or drive a car/truck/motorcycle/boat/????

#7 Eltigro ONLINE  

Eltigro

Stargunner

• 1,673 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:46 PM

Yeah, that's what I was going to say.  If you don't mind paying to play a larger version of a mobile game, then there's plenty.  Angry Birds, that jumping game, the one where you catch candy or something... The last time I was in a Dave and Busters, I found all of about three games I wanted to spend money on.  A Donkey Kong, a racing game (it was themed, but don't remember the theme now), and skee ball.

I wish I lived closer to some of those barcades or retro themed arcades... the one in the National Video Game Museum is pretty good, but smallish...  that was the last good one I was in, but of course it was all old machines and therefore not really fitting the theme of this thread.

Edit:  Doodle Jump... that's the "jumping game"...  everything is just ticket redemption crap...

Edited by Eltigro, Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:47 PM.

#8 thanatos OFFLINE  

thanatos

Stargunner

• 1,453 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:21 PM

The new Walking Dead gun game is pretty sweet. Also look up the Star Wars Battle Pod. Couple years old, but awesome. They also made a fighter jet shooter in the same cabinet.

#9 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

River Patroller

• 3,325 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:44 PM

Namco and Taito have gotten into the modern arcade.  It's like a mod of the later 90s/00s style where you have the base with a stick or two with some buttons, but instead of like a few feet wide screen, it's a massive panel like 6+ft tall and wide.  I've seen Pac-Man, Galaga, and a Space Invaders and the devices have the option to reward you with tickets to get from the game rooms crappy prize shelf if you earn enough.  The games play like the old school stuff, just with the added reward and I think they had non-classic modes too.

#10 JamesD ONLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 7,959 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:27 AM

Namco and Taito have gotten into the modern arcade.  It's like a mod of the later 90s/00s style where you have the base with a stick or two with some buttons, but instead of like a few feet wide screen, it's a massive panel like 6+ft tall and wide.  I've seen Pac-Man, Galaga, and a Space Invaders and the devices have the option to reward you with tickets to get from the game rooms crappy prize shelf if you earn enough.  The games play like the old school stuff, just with the added reward and I think they had non-classic modes too.

Ah the tickets.  You combine all the tickets earned from your group and it fills the plastic container they use to weigh them... and it's enough to get a pencil.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Arcade, North America

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users