IGNORED

Will Atarimax ever give away Ape for free..?

Spanner

I ask this cos the unregistered version don't work,only woks with Atartmax SIO2USB so I don't understand why its was released,well it don't work with FTDI USB SIO so no point to it.If you buy a SIO2PC from them don't you get Ape free with it or do you have to pay $49.99 for it.(I thing it abit much for what it is)anyway..??

I noted that Atarimax prices newer change always the same,no offers on there products.

ME.. I always buy from Atari8Wares cos they are cheaper.Well thats how it works,someone comes along and undercut you in the end... :)

Atarimax site to me looks old,like it has not had a face lift in 10 years or something or is it just me...

I am not saying this to hurt anyone,ok it just a observation.(Don't take it to heart,its the way I talk.)

Edited by Spanner

So many people looking for free giveaways ... first the Atari OS ROM, now APE/ProSystem.

I don't think that Atarimax should make APE free at all, because it's a good product that's worth every penny and more. I've bought every major version since the DOS version, circa 1998, and I've never had any trouble getting it to work either with Atarimax's own SIO2PC adapters or my own homemade versions.

• Like 4

It's just you.

And APE/ProSystem *DOES* work with other SIO2PC or SIO2PC-USB devices, even the limited free/trial version. I've used it many times to make .ATR images of my physical floppy disks. So please don't spread misinformation.

Just to back up DrVenkman, I have a dual SIO2PC/1050 I built myself back in the 90's (working flawlessly for over 20 years now, I might add, with the latest version of APE/Prosystem), and I have been using all versions of APE/Prosystem, trial and full, since the original MSDOS with my home-brew device. If your SIO device truely does not work with APE, it is the fault of the manufacturer of your device, and not AtariMax or APE.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 4

ME.. I always buy from Atari8Wares cos they are cheaper.Well thats how it works,someone comes along and undercut you in the end... :)

Atari8Wares does not undercut the cost of APE, they don't sell it.

Most of the time, you get what you pay for yet people are so keen to spend as little as possible. This is why the world is now full of cheap shit that breaks one week after the warranty expires and food that will kill you if you eat it. People are quick to bitch if someone lays them off and hires cheaper staff though.

• Like 4

I think it is a fair price for a very nice program. I try to support as many business as possible in the a8 scene. Ape is excellent and has served me very well the last 20 years. I subscribed years ago ... ape for dos, ape for Windows 95... lifetime upgrades support. A service that becomes pretty rare these days. Tucker is a bright star in the a8 scene... can't say that about everybody ;)

• Like 8

The guy develops a very useful program and provides long term support for it. Seems pretty reasonable to me that he should be able to make some money on it. If you don't like the price, you don't have to buy it. The price doesn't seem unreasonable at all to me and if he wasn't selling enough at this price, he would have reduced it.

• Like 8

People don't realize, I think, all the full version of APE includes, far beyond AspQT or RespQT, etc. Like Prosystem, and Imagic, and the APEloader menu for executables instead of booting one at a time in clicking through Windows with Aspe/RespeQT...And then are you in for a surprise if you add on a 32-in-1 WARP+ OS and get remote control option of APE from the Atari!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Actually if I were to call anybody's business practices into question, it would be Atari8Warz. I bought a SIO2PC device from him a couple of years ago. The thing worked for about 6 months and then went belly-up. Now, I understand that electronic equipment sometimes can be faulty but Atari8Warz promised a years warranty but never once responded to repeted emails from me requesting assistance. I eventually just gave up in frustration and now own a useless, broken SIO2PC unit.

The other thing is that the Atari8Warz SIO2PC USB device drivers were designed specifically to work with the AspeQt software. I recall the instructions stating that it *might* work with other programs but that no others were officially supported. I know that I was never able to get APE to recognize it. I really don't think that it will work with APE at all. Your problem is most likely caused by the SIO2PC device that you are trying to use rather than with the APE software itself.

• Like 3

Is a8w still around? I thought he left the a8 scene?

He did leave. He had a total meltdown on the AA forums, got an incredibly rare banishment from posting, and quit the scene in response. Very occasionally he peeks his head up with an eBay auction or two but otherwise has no A8 presence whatsoever.

Sorry I don't know came over me,I got one from Atari8Wares and it don't work too...hahaha,Just been talking to him and he asked me to send it back and he will try to see whats wrong with it and if he can't fix it he will send me a replacement,I brought it over a year ago,mine just stopped working,maybe cos of my Atari disk drive(It don't work too).I used it once round about sep 2016 when I got it,I made one at the same time and that works fine(it don't work with Ape too cos it uses the same chip FTDI),SIO2PC/10502PC dual USB don't work with Abe cos it uses a FTDI chip and you have to have the full version for it to work,thats what I am annoyed about,that I can't even use it with it just to try it first.I don't have $50 to spend,I am disabled so don't get alot of money about $120 a fortnight to live on.I wish I could get things and sometimes I get angry at myself for being the way I am.Sorry,please forgive me..

Actually if I were to call anybody's business practices into question, it would be Atari8Warz. I bought a SIO2PC device from him a couple of years ago. The thing worked for about 6 months and then went belly-up. Now, I understand that electronic equipment sometimes can be faulty but Atari8Warz promised a years warranty but never once responded to repeted emails from me requesting assistance. I eventually just gave up in frustration and now own a useless, broken SIO2PC unit.

The other thing is that the Atari8Warz SIO2PC USB device drivers were designed specifically to work with the AspeQt software. I recall the instructions stating that it *might* work with other programs but that no others were officially supported. I know that I was never able to get APE to recognize it. I really don't think that it will work with APE at all. Your problem is most likely caused by the SIO2PC device that you are trying to use rather than with the APE software itself.

Sorry I don't know came over me,I got one from Atari8Wares and it don't work too...hahaha,Just been talking to him and he asked me to send it back and he will try to see whats wrong with it and if he can't fix it he will send me a replacement,I brought it over a year ago,mine just stopped working,maybe cos of my Atari disk drive(It don't work too).I used it once round about sep 2016 when I got it,I made one at the same time and that works fine(it don't work with Ape too cos it uses the same chip FTDI),SIO2PC/10502PC dual USB don't work with Abe cos it uses a FTDI chip and you have to have the full version for it to work,thats what I am annoyed about,that I can't even use it with it just to try it first.

Now I understand your username!

Edited by Mr Robot