passthrough upgrade ram vector crazy cartridge better games

15 replies to this topic

#1 Trip2018 OFFLINE  

Trip2018

Space Invader

• 18 posts
  • young nerd

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:35 AM

So I was puting away my 2600 when an idea hit me, what if there was an advanced passthrough cartridge almost like the sega 32x. Here's a list of features it could include.

-Built in bios

-Extra 64k ram

-Cartridge pull out protector (If you pull out a cartridge, it will reboot to the bois)

-Sid chip (so we can finally have better music in our games)

-Upgradeable

-Dpc+ and Superchip compatible

I would love to do this myself but I'm not very good with electronics nor do I have the budget to do it. XD

#2 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 2,579 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:59 AM

SID chip? Hell, no. Keep that Commodore crap out of my Atari. If you want to hypothetically add more sound, you'd have to go with Atari's own POKEY. Problem is, the little 6507 processor has a limited address space as it is; adding more registers and the data to control a more capable chip gets problematic real fast.

Most of the rest of your wish list is already satisfied by the existing Melody board games that have on-board ARM co-processor chips. Play Space Rocks, Medieval Mayhem or Stay Frosty 2 to see what can be accomplished with those. 

#3 Trip2018 OFFLINE  

Trip2018

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts
  • young nerd

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:11 AM

I was also considering uograded graphics chip but I like 2600 graphics.

#4 high voltage OFFLINE  

high voltage

Quadrunner

• 6,356 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:25 AM

So I was puting away my 2600 when an idea hit me, what if there was an advanced passthrough cartridge almost like the sega 32x. Here's a list of features it could include.

-Built in bios

-Extra 64k ram

-Cartridge pull out protector (If you pull out a cartridge, it will reboot to the bois)

-Sid chip (so we can finally have better music in our games)

-Upgradeable

-Dpc+ and Superchip compatible

I would love to do this myself but I'm not very good with electronics nor do I have the budget to do it. XD

Pokey beats Sid

Edited by high voltage, Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:25 AM.

#5 imstarryeyed OFFLINE  

imstarryeyed

Moonsweeper

• 332 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:53 AM

SID Rocks, but Pokey is great too... Even as a Commodore lover, I would have to say 4 Pokeys so you can have amazing sound, but yes.. day dreaming...

Humm... I think I will load up & listen to some of my SID music now..haha

#6 Jinroh OFFLINE  

Jinroh

Dragonstomper

• 621 posts
  • Catgirl Maid Lover

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:03 PM

I agree, POKEY all day long.

Something like SAVEKEY support to that list would be cool too.

#7 Trip2018 OFFLINE  

Trip2018

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts
  • young nerd

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:45 PM

New list

-Built in bios

-Extra 8k ram

-Pokey chip

-Upgradeable

-Savekey support

-Easily compatable with bB (I don't have any assembly expierience, hopefully someone is willing to code a kernel)

-pcm sound sample chip

Edited by Trip2018, Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:22 PM.

#8 Trip2018 OFFLINE  

Trip2018

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts
  • young nerd

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:47 AM

Let me know if there are any features you would like in the cart. :D

#9 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 8,420 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:45 PM

Basically a supercharger with some extra goodies, and a pass through for enhanced carts to make use of it? I've thought of it. Could be cool. I seem to remember a similar device for the NES though I don't remember what it was called, or added to the games.

#10 Trip2018 OFFLINE  

Trip2018

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts
  • young nerd

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:49 PM

Basically a supercharger with some extra goodies, and a pass through for enhanced carts to make use of it? I've thought of it. Could be cool. I seem to remember a similar device for the NES though I don't remember what it was called, or added to the games.

The only thing I can think of is the game genie. :P

#11 KaeruYojimbo OFFLINE  

KaeruYojimbo

Stargunner

• 1,449 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:07 PM

The Aladdin Deck Enhancer maybe? It didn't add to games, it was mostly just a way to produce cheaper games by having a passthrough cart with the lockout chip and separate game carts that plugged into it that then didn't need lockout chips of their own.

#12 pacman000 OFFLINE  

pacman000

Moonsweeper

• 382 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:37 PM

The Aladdin Deck Enhancer was supposed to add features to the NES, but the final released version was cut down.

http://www.atarihq.c...in/aladdin.html

http://www.nesworld....dindeckenhancer

#13 high voltage OFFLINE  

high voltage

Quadrunner

• 6,356 posts

Posted Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:01 AM

I mean, I love Sid too, it's a great sound chip, but Pokey is easily on par, if the right person knows what to do

#14 Trip2018 OFFLINE  

Trip2018

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts
  • young nerd

Posted Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:09 AM

I mean, I love Sid too, it's a great sound chip, but Pokey is easily on par, if the right person knows what to do

I mean we could include both if its possible. :?

But I'm sure I know what I want. :grin:

Edited by Trip2018, Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:29 AM.

#15 solidcorp OFFLINE  

solidcorp

Moonsweeper

• 449 posts

Posted Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:01 PM

Extra RAM is one thing, but buss stuffing and extra sound/video hardware makes it not an Atari anymore for me. Its cool, but with the 2600 it doesnt take much to turn it into something else.

#16 Mr SQL OFFLINE  

Mr SQL

Stargunner

• 1,767 posts

Posted Today, 8:18 AM

Extra RAM is one thing, but buss stuffing and extra sound/video hardware makes it not an Atari anymore for me. Its cool, but with the 2600 it doesnt take much to turn it into something else.

Atari seems to share this perspective - their Flashback consoles only run classic Atari games that use vintage technology.

ie your StarCastle plays, but the modern 32-bit version is not supported.

Previously Atari was more liberal with what constituted an Atari game, when I competed in Atari's Pong Challenge contest in 2012 was the only programmer using an Atari VCS as the virtual machine. The other entries used Sparkles, Sapphire and other modern 32-bit dev kit to write Atari style games which were awesome but lacked the classic feel.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: passthrough, upgrade, ram, vector, crazy, cartridge, better games

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users