Photo

INTV NOOB

34 replies to this topic

#1 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Stargunner

• 1,119 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:42 PM

So I have an INTV (version 1 i believe) because I got it cheap. What are must haves that I might not know about that arent on an Atari? I have Night Stalker.

I dislike the controls is there an alternative?

Games I have don't necessarily have manuals or the overlays. Speaking of...how do I get the overlays on the controller?

Hows the homebrew scene? Are they expensive?

Is there a flashcart?

That should get me started.

#2 JasonlikesINTV OFFLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 9,360 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:30 PM

Welcome! I'll try to answer a few of these.

Controllers:
You're mostly stuck with the controls. The disc takes some getting used to, but give it a chance. Keep in mind that it works best when you roll it. Don't try to go from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock immediately reversing direction. Roll around passing over either 12 or 6 o'clock (if that makes sense). The side buttons can be rough after long sessions. There are custom modded controllers out there if you're willing to spend some money.

Homebrews:
Older (out of print) titles typically run from $80-200 or more. Current/new releases are usually $50-60, but typically come CIB. Few are released as cart only. Some are eventually available as a free or cheap ROM. On average, around 3-10 homebrews release per year.

Flash carts:
Your best bet is the LTO Flash. It's the only one currently available. http://ltoflash.leftturnonly.info

Games!
Here's the full list of the 125 original releases:
http://atariage.com/...-125-checklist/

I recommend starting with this list:
http://atariage.com/...ames/?p=1948327

#3 grips03 OFFLINE  

grips03

River Patroller

• 3,765 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:30 AM

I have priced reduced controller for $195 if interested. 

http://atariage.com/...st-list/page-15

First post has tons of details about controller.

#4 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,594 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:23 AM

You should read the instructions for many of the games. Overlays can be helpfull for some but you don't necessarily have to have them installed. You can find images of them here.

http://mphokie.com

The controller side buttons are a little stiff for rapid fire games. It's not an issue for many of the best intellivision games. If you emulate on a computer you can use any controller you like. The disc/pad does work well. You can certainly switch directions 180deg by sliding your thumb across the disc/pad, that's why it's got a smooth top. Best to get use to the Intellivision controller; it's the best controller for some games.

I can recommend Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, the Dreadnaught Factor, Thunder Castle, and Space Battle. Intellivision has some nice two player only games. Some are involved like Sea Battle, others are quick like Biplanes on the Triple Action cartridge.

Edited by mr_me, Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:01 AM.

#5 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,119 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:49 PM

So this is what i have game. The one without a label is masters of the universe. The one just says advance d&d is there a way to tell which one it is?

Also me and the wife are going to drink and retrogame later. Any you would suggest from what i have?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180113_141825.jpg
  • 20180113_141813.jpg

#6 cmart604 OFFLINE  

cmart604

Intellivision Hoarder

• 12,195 posts
  • Running out of things to buy.

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:57 PM

AD&D, Locknchase, Burgertime, Nightstalker and Frog Bog would be the first five I would play

#7 JasonlikesINTV OFFLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 9,360 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:58 PM

So this is what i have game. The one without a label is masters of the universe. The one just says advance d&d is there a way to tell which one it is?

Also me and the wife are going to drink and retrogame later. Any you would suggest from what i have?

BurgerTime is a must. For two player fun, I'd strongly recommend Frog Bog and Triple Action (biplanes). Biplanes has a reverse steering option, so choose what works best for you. Donkey Kong isn't the best port.

#8 Intymike ONLINE  

Intymike

River Patroller

• 3,162 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:10 PM

Sea Battle is a great 2 player game...if you know the rules and keypad layout (overlays are a must for this).

#9 m-crew ONLINE  

m-crew

Quadrunner

• 5,054 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:14 PM

Burger Time , Lock n Chase , Donkey Kong, D & D, Night Stalker, Pitfall  would be my order of play... But all good !!!

drink ,retrogame maybe a little bit of dragon and who knows where that will lead too... ;)

Cheers and Enjoy !!!

#10 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,594 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:50 PM

BurgerTime is a must. For two player fun, I'd strongly recommend Frog Bog and Triple Action (biplanes). Biplanes has a reverse steering option, so choose what works best for you. Donkey Kong isn't the best port.

Biplanes has a reverse steering option? I would just hold the controller upsidedown.

The Advanced Dungeons and Dragons with the red label is the original. Treasure of Tarmin will say so on the label.

If you like donkey kong and something unique to intellivision, get D2K Arcade.
http://www.carlmuell...ellivision.html

Start most mattel games by pressing disc at the titlescreen. Pressing 1,2,3 will start the game at a slower speed, eg. Burgertime, locknchase, night stalker. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons is one of the exceptions.

Edited by mr_me, Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:13 PM.

#11 JasonlikesINTV OFFLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 9,360 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:24 PM

Biplanes has a reverse steering option? I would just hold the controller upsidedown.

Gee dang it, did I make that up? Haven't played in a while.

#12 Lathe26 OFFLINE  

Lathe26

River Patroller

• 3,759 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:57 PM

Since you're drinking, my top 2 recommendations would be:

• Burger Time - VERY easy to just pick up and play.  This is the game I use to demo the Intellivision when I'm a vendor at expos or cons.
  • Frog Bog - silly and fun for 2 people.  Use the bottom row of buttons (Clear, 0, Enter) to set how much control you want over the from.  Left to right in the bottom row increases the control but add difficulty.  Clear = Fixed Arc + automatic tongue, 0 = Control direction + automatic tongue, Enter = Control direction + control tongue. Each player can set this independently for their own skill level.

Other games that are good: Lock n Chase, AD&D, Night Stalker, Pitfall.  Triple Action's Biplanes game (#3) is a HUGE amount of fun but only once you figure out how to fly (tricky for 1st time players).

#13 Gernot OFFLINE  

Gernot

Moonsweeper

• 377 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:34 PM

nice to meet you... (linked a musical tune)

zombie.gif

Sea Battle is a great 2 player game...if you know the rules and keypad layout (overlays are a must for this).

i want to play sea battle (against you Intymike), i haven't played it since 1983!

(and even then i had only one friend who liked to play it with me).

I have priced reduced controller for $195 if interested.

is that a hand knitted one? (i expect by the price).

invest the $130 in a LTO Flash, it worthes much more.

get used with the rotten disc, it isn't as bad as ine guesses (ok, it was my first console, i never would have liked a different controller type back then).

"option" i like, it is how it is, if you fly upside down the controls are obviousely upside down.

yeah try to, i guess you only get more confused (likewise rotating the controller to play Autoracing, as long as you don't rotate the tube...).

one can see Triple Action as a trainer to get used with the intellivision controllers.

AD&D is a good game to get used to the 16 directions and the running man (if you can't play a sports game).

Donkey Kong isn't the best port.

damned yes i remember well how everybody said it looks bad (and it's bad to play even).

i neither liked to play it even when i owned it.

therefore i played "Venture" a lot, it's really not far from the arcade version except that it's quite slower and the that the score will overflow above 65k, which you reach unfortunately when you ended the third turn.

the music is for a intellivison game of these days outstanding, there was not many games playing continous music.

venture i played such often that i can humm the music of it.

really get the LTO Flash! if you're not a collector and want to own the games physically.

i'm still crazy about, i received mine last week.

it's certainly something different to play them on the console, mostly the controllers but i also doesn't play as attentive if i play the games emulated.

Edited by Gernot, Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:51 PM.

#14 the1hatman OFFLINE  

the1hatman

Stargunner

• 1,172 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:37 PM

It appears your copy of Frog Bog is the harder to find painted label version (meaning the label is not a sticker but screened onto the cart). While it is not a high value item, it is a cool thing to have especially in such a new collection. Congrats on hitting on a neat variation right out of the gate.

#15 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,119 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:56 PM

It appears your copy of Frog Bog is the harder to find painted label version (meaning the label is not a sticker but screened onto the cart). While it is not a high value item, it is a cool thing to have especially in such a new collection. Congrats on hitting on a neat variation right out of the gate.

I think its a sticker. I got this from a druggie so I had to do some cleaning.

I will have to say I hate the controller but also liked rolling it around. I'm an RPG fan so I started with AD&D and beat it! (Easy as I died on Hero) But count me impressed! I want to track down the other D&D now. Thankfully i have a decent chunk of the booklets and inserts. I have a booklet for tron maze a thon but no game.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180113_214659.jpg

#16 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,119 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:59 PM

Burger Time , Lock n Chase , Donkey Kong, D & D, Night Stalker, Pitfall  would be my order of play... But all good !!!

drink ,retrogame maybe a little bit of dragon and who knows where that will lead too... ;)

Cheers and Enjoy !!!

This by far is the best post of the day.

#17 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,119 posts

Posted Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:59 AM

So unfortunately my Triple Play cart seems dead. Burgertime was fun though. Looks so much better than the 2600 version.

#18 JasonlikesINTV OFFLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 9,360 posts

Posted Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:12 AM

So unfortunately my Triple Play cart seems dead. Burgertime was fun though. Looks so much better than the 2600 version.

These carts are typically pretty resilient. Of the hundreds of carts I've tested, I've only come across 4-5 bad ones. I'd try cleaning the pins with a Q-tip damp with isopropanol. Then, insert and remove the cart from the console 4-5 times in a row before testing it. If that doesn't work, try pulling the cart out just slightly or maybe at a very slight angle. Sometimes it doesn't work if inserted all the way. Another option would be to try it using the Intellivoice. Non-Intellivoice games will just pass through without affecting functionality. Good luck! If the cart is truly dead, PM me and I'll send you a working one for free.

#19 ls650 ONLINE  

ls650

Quadrunner

• 7,260 posts
  • Atari rocks!

Posted Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:21 AM

Looks like a great start to an Intellivision collection.  My fave of those is Night Stalker - it's a really mellow game with nice atmosphere.

#20 Intymike ONLINE  

Intymike

River Patroller

• 3,162 posts

Posted Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:17 PM

i want to play sea battle (against you Intymike), i haven't played it since 1983!

(and even then i had only one friend who liked to play it with me).

Just come down the Rhine. We can do a match. :)

#21 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,119 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:55 AM

Gonna try some Nightstalker and see how Pitfall compares to the 2600. I did a good cleaning on Triple Play. No luck. Lol.

#22 accousticguitar OFFLINE  

accousticguitar

Quadrunner

• 7,004 posts
  • Sherlock made it to 15 before he left us.

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:20 PM

A last ditch effort would be to take the cart apart and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser. That works better than alcohol but is a lot harder to do.

#23 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,119 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:44 PM

A last ditch effort would be to take the cart apart and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser. That works better than alcohol but is a lot harder to do.

I will give that a shot. Worse case i bust the case on a game that doesn't work.

#24 intvsteve OFFLINE  

intvsteve

River Patroller

• 3,257 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:13 PM

In a couple of extreme cases, I used some 400 grid sandpaper ti ​very, very gently​ "detox" the leads on carts. Maybe pencil eraser's about the same abrasiveness. What with it being my home office where I do this kind of thing, why the heck would a pencil be handy? :P

#25 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,119 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:07 PM

In a couple of extreme cases, I used some 400 grid sandpaper ti ​very, very gently​ "detox" the leads on carts. Maybe pencil eraser's about the same abrasiveness. What with it being my home office where I do this kind of thing, why the heck would a pencil be handy? :P

Still didnt really have much luck with it. Pitfall was jenky too. It came on but after a bit I freaked out thinking my disc was broken because harry wouldnt go left.

Put in lock n chase and didnt have that problem. Might do more alcohol and erasers to them.

How is the system in regards to being cracked open? Thinking i might just need to clean inside.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users