INTV NOOB

34 replies to this topic

#26 atarifan88 OFFLINE  

atarifan88

Dragonstomper

• 745 posts

Posted Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:05 AM

I want to track down the other D&D now.

You need to track down Treasure of Tarmin and Tower of Doom.  Both are really fun RPG's!

#27 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 2,643 posts

Posted Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:24 AM

Still didnt really have much luck with it. Pitfall was jenky too. It came on but after a bit I freaked out thinking my disc was broken because harry wouldnt go left.

Put in lock n chase and didnt have that problem. Might do more alcohol and erasers to them.

How is the system in regards to being cracked open? Thinking i might just need to clean inside.

You can open the case no problem but you'll find the main board is in a metal shield soldered shut. Be carefull with the ribbon cable to the power supply daughterboard it's a little delicate.

I have a couple of cartridges where they only work by inserting and then pulling back until just before it slips out. I tried cleaning with alcohol but it made no difference. Haven't tried sandpaper.

#28 Denicio OFFLINE  

Denicio

Chopper Commander

• 137 posts

Posted Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:19 AM

Okay.....HATE of the controller is part of the Intellivision charm. Stay with it. Once you get the feel for it....you will find that joysticks feel odd. This is a 49 year old bloke (me) reflecting on how the same bloke felt when he was 11/12/13 years old playing it. My pals had Atari 2600 and once i learned to love the Inty Controller i found the 2600 joysticks unplayable  when i went to their house.

As for 2 player games. Mom and I back in the day racked up hours of quality time together on Lock N Chase. Again, part of the charm is the lag (latency) of YOUR character and the controller. It creates a significant angst because its NOT as responsive at the Arcade Pac Man and ilk. So you learn to predict moves with that disc controller you have learned to love (ahem).

COOL arse games to look for to add to your collection will be  will be Dreadnaught Factor and Demon Attack. Both very fun games and look cool to play. ALL the Imagic and Activision games have their very own look/style on Intellivision. They are very UN-Mattel which gives you great variety. 

Growing up, Mom let us open one Xmas gift a week early on school break (probably to keep us out of her hair). I remember picking from a pile of wrapped games...Beauty and the Beast. Yeah, lost about 2 weeks of my life to that game. Lots of fun to play and looks good.

Just take some time and really get to know and embrace that controller. 

I have a modded Inty controller into a joystick. Playing games like astrosmash with that modded controller just suck. Maybe because i grew up playing that game with a disc, dunno, but i do know its like writing with your left hand if you are right handed (or vice versa).

A HUGE part of the Intellivision experience IS that hand controller. 

#29 Denicio OFFLINE  

Denicio

Chopper Commander

• 137 posts

Posted Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:37 AM

Just looked at the picture of your collection again.

Astrosmash is a MUST have. You actually need it NOW!

YOUR SALVATION DEPENDS ON IT!!! 

Some games i lost weeks of my life but with astrosmash i lost one entire summer and fall to it. Its a very simple game but man its addictive!

You can get LOADS of these games super cheap on Ebay.

Once your Inty Addiction grows...you will begin to ask about the Intellivoice. Yeah, its pretty cool. Adds a new layer of complexity to games made in the early 80's. 

Voice Games are:

Space Spartans is a voiced version of Space Battle. 

B-17 bomber is what it is...for the Space Nerd in me...it was never much fun.

Bomb Squad was way cool back in the day. Not tried it since i've re established my collection. 

Tron Solar Sailor i never quite figured out.

The charm of ALL the Tron games is growing up when the movie was fresh. The movie Tron was something revolutionary and unique looking so having games at home was just cooler than cool. To anyone coming to Intv fresh may not appreciate the coolness of the games.

Treasure of Tarmin is a long play game. So imagine the D&D board game playing in real time. Its cool but requires an afternoon.

Swords & Serpents (Imagic) is super fun as a 2 player...but don't expect a triumphant game ending. Search this forum for discussions about why it ends like it does. But still, knowing this does NOT make it suck at all. its still fun to play all the way to the end (2 player).

For me, when i fire up my Intv games...its a time machine. It takes me back to when i was a kid, not paying a mortgage or having a job. It reminds me of my friends, our high scores, sneaking my dad's playboys, the great ROCK radio stations and the songs, riding BMX bikes, and dealing with the awkwardness of my voice and body changing against my will.  Today, i turn on Journey's Frontiers album or Def Leppard Pyromania, open a bottle of red and transport back to a 12 year old version of ole Denicio! Yeah, its my time machine to simpler times.

I hope you enjoy it and develop an appreciation of it...and maybe an addiction.

For me, its part of my core DNA.

Denicio

#30 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 774 posts

Posted Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:46 PM

Astrosmash is on my want list. Not great at it but i like lock n chase. Think its tje lag you mentioned.

#31 1980gamer OFFLINE  

1980gamer

Dragonstomper

• 800 posts

Posted Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:46 AM

I love the idea of the overlay.

However, I don't use them.  If you are looking at the controller.... You already lost.

I will say, the first few times you play B-17 Bomber, Bomb Squad, Space Battle and the D&D games,  the overlays are helpful.  Horse racing is another.

For some reason, I still need to look over the overlay before playing Utopia?  With the hours I have played that game...

Maybe because when I started playing that game, it was paced slow enough that I could look at the overlay without worrying to much?

The best part about the overlay,  it protects the controllers from your friends that dig thumb nails into the keypad.... 

If you are pressing the buttons like that, no wonder you hate this controller.  But most first timers seem to do that.

#32 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 774 posts

Posted Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:52 AM

It seems to be the side buttons and hand placement for me that I have problems with.

#33 Denicio OFFLINE  

Denicio

Chopper Commander

• 137 posts

Posted Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:51 AM

It seems to be the side buttons and hand placement for me that I have problems with.

You have to unlearn years of joy sticking (for us old fookers) or modern controllers on Xboxs and Playstations.

You have to forget all you know about previous controllers and just embrace it. 

#34 Denicio OFFLINE  

Denicio

Chopper Commander

• 137 posts

Posted Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:51 AM

If you are looking at the controller.... You already lost.

THIS a million times over! 

#35 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 774 posts

Posted Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:32 PM

You have to unlearn years of joy sticking (for us old fookers) or modern controllers on Xboxs and Playstations.

You have to forget all you know about previous controllers and just embrace it. 

Thankfully A D&D has been the most difficult keypad game I've played. It is definitely a learning curve.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users