My NES top ten (in no particular order)....

:)

1) Metroid

2) Ninja Kid

3) Legendary Wings

4) Cobra Triangle

5) Ninja Gaiden 1 (yes I beat that lol)

6) Super Mario Bros.2

7) Galaga

8) RC Pro-Am

9) Zanac

10) Legend of Zelda

Honorable mention: Adventure Island

My NES top ten (in no particular order)....

:)

1) Metroid

2) Ninja Kid

3) Legendary Wings

4) Cobra Triangle

5) Ninja Gaiden 1 (yes I beat that lol)

6) Super Mario Bros.2

7) Galaga

8) RC Pro-Am

9) Zanac

10) Legend of Zelda

Honorable mention: Adventure Island

But did you beat RC Pro-Am?

That's a much harder game than Ninja Gaiden, IMO. Or maybe it's just that I'm good at NG, but suck at RC Pro-Am.

Cobra Triangle is also really tough. I've made it to near the end but never beat it. I can't do that third mines stage.

Edited by mbd30

That's a much harder game than Ninja Gaiden, IMO. Or maybe it's just that I'm good at NG, but suck at RC Pro-Am.

Cobra Triangle is also really tough. I've made it to near the end but never beat it. I can't do that third mines stage.

What is considered "beating" RC Pro-Am? I've made it through the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cars then back to the original car without using a continue. Does that count?

I guess some may consider getting 1st place on all tracks as "beating" it? I don't really know if I've ever done that. Probably not.

EDIT - I've never beaten Ninja Gaiden - LOL

What is considered "beating" RC Pro-Am? I've made it through the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cars then back to the original car without using a continue. Does that count?

I guess some may consider getting 1st place on all tracks as "beating" it? I don't really know if I've ever done that. Probably not.

I'd consider just looping the game to be beating it. You wouldn't have to get 1st place on all tracks.

• Like 1

List thread, yay!

No particular order. I like how the NES Classic has a bunch of good ones.

Golgo 13 Top Secret Episode

I really liked this one when it was new, because of the groovy music, and the multi-mode gameplay.

Spy Hunter

This is an underrated port, with good controls.

Legend of Zelda

Because it's fun as hell

Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt (I have accepted the fact that I can't play Duck Hunt on a modern screen, it's OK, I got it out of my system as a teenager)

Duh, you know why this is good

Rad Racer

Outrun for NES, 3D mode a bonus

Super Mario Bros 3

Duh again

Punch Out

Delightful single screen gaming

Popeye

Because I liked the arcade game

Gyruss

an NES-ized port with boss battles, and that's OK

Elevator Action

Not a great game, but I always liked it, so I like the NES version too.

• Like 2

List thread, yay!

No particular order. I like how the NES Classic has a bunch of good ones.

Golgo 13 Top Secret Episode

I really liked this one when it was new, because of the groovy music, and the multi-mode gameplay.

Spy Hunter

This is an underrated port, with good controls.

Legend of Zelda

Because it's fun as hell

Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt (I have accepted the fact that I can't play Duck Hunt on a modern screen, it's OK, I got it out of my system as a teenager)

Duh, you know why this is good

Rad Racer

Outrun for NES, 3D mode a bonus

Super Mario Bros 3

Duh again

Punch Out

Delightful single screen gaming

Popeye

Because I liked the arcade game

Gyruss

an NES-ized port with boss battles, and that's OK

Elevator Action

Not a great game, but I always liked it, so I like the NES version too.

Rad Racer has aged well for an old 8 bit racer. The other cars are dicks though. They only care about ramming you off the road, lol.

Spy Hunter is a glitchfest. It's glitched out on me a number of times including resetting to the title screen. Haven't tried Super Spy Hunter, also by Sunsoft, but it looks to be a big improvement.

I've played Sunsoft Spy Hunter for years, never seen what you describe. Bad cartridge maybe?

I played it on Nestopia emulator so I think it's the game. But I used a strat of going as slow as possible which meant that there were a lot of sprites on the screen. That probably caused the game to crash and reset.

Here's another glitch.

And another glitch.

Edited by mbd30

Wow I've owned Spy Hunter since it came out and have played that on multiple systems including my recently HiDef NES system, a handheld device, and probably a dozen emulators and I've never seen either of those glitches before. I've had where you get some color shift/flicker on the score before, but not the infinite spinout or just being the shadow interceptor as time rolls right along in a loop.

And yes, if you get beyond perhaps some personal love from the arcade era of Spy Hunter, the sequel kicks the crap out of it in both the a/v department (though I prefer the Peter Gunn tune) and definitely with the weapons array potential too for gameplay. Sunsoft pulled quite a few tricks out of their bag doing some crazy stuff in that title. I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention, or a higher more annoying price for it either.

You know what, see for yourself with this long play. Check out one of their fun road effects around the 25sec mark.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

And yes, if you get beyond perhaps some personal love from the arcade era of Spy Hunter, the sequel kicks the crap out of it in both the a/v department (though I prefer the Peter Gunn tune) and definitely with the weapons array potential too for gameplay.

We were about to have some serious words until I realized you weren't talking about arcade Spy Hunter II. :)

• Like 2

We were about to have some serious words until I realized you weren't talking about arcade Spy Hunter II. :)

I would expect nothing less...I've tried I really tried probably 20 years ago to like that game both when I found one, and then when I still tolerated the MAME shenanigans about ROM renaming by release. Ugh, it's so bad I blocked out it even existed, and I can just remember not liking it but not why and I'm afraid to go look and listen.

I did NOT expect this thread to lead to a discussion about SpyHunter ports and sequels. Bravo (as always) AtariAge.

Well Spy Hunter is for some versions, just that good. Original and some ports, the NES sequel, some may argue the first of the 3D ones Midway did even, but the rest..ugh. Spy Hunter was like the two face of that type of game, flip a coin and hope you don't get the bastard size of it.

Haha, I never liked the NES port of Spy Hunter,that game sucks!!!! lol Just my opinion though. I'll never forget how disappointed I was the first time I tried it,and how boring it is compared to the arcade. No ending either. Just meanders and is just very repetitive.

Never beat it lol. I agree it is one of the super hardest NES games ever. I have beaten Ninja Gaiden more than once... The whirlwind weapon is how you beat the final boss!

Never beat Top Gun either,but I know how to land the plane while drunk.

Haha, I never liked the NES port of Spy Hunter,that game sucks!!!! lol Just my opinion though. I'll never forget how disappointed I was the first time I tried it,and how boring it is compared to the arcade. No ending either. Just meanders and is just very repetitive.

Never beat it lol. I agree it is one of the super hardest NES games ever. I have beaten Ninja Gaiden more than once... The whirlwind weapon is how you beat the final boss!

Never beat Top Gun either,but I know how to land the plane while drunk.

To be fair, I don't think that arcade Spy Hunter has an ending either. It's about getting a high score.

At least the arcade version has that bad ass controller.

Spy-Hunter-Arcade-630x592.jpg

• Like 1

I've spent quite a bit of time with arcade Spy Hunter and this thread got me to go and check out the NES version. I'd say it is pretty arcade faithful. Sure there are some differences, but the strategies to get high scores are almost the same. It is especially impressive as a 1987 NES release. That is still very early.

Besides the arcade, I've spent a lot of time with the C64 version and the NES control scheme is a decided improvement.

To be fair, I don't think that arcade Spy Hunter has an ending either. It's about getting a high score.

At least the arcade version has that bad ass controller.

Spy-Hunter-Arcade-630x592.jpg

Yea I already know the arcade doesn't have an ending(most of those early arcade games didn't obviously),but what makes it more superior to the NES port are the much more excellent graphics and sound which makes that kind of gameplay more tolerable.

The NES version is complete garbage compared to the original arcade! I find that to be the case with alot of NES ports such as Gauntlet. Most of them are just inferior versions of the arcade that lacks what made the arcade versions so special. Just my opinion though.. I really always felt Spy Hunter was the worst release by Sunsoft.

The NES version is complete garbage compared to the original arcade! I find that to be the case with alot of NES ports such as Gauntlet. Most of them are just inferior versions of the arcade that lacks what made the arcade versions so special. Just my opinion though.. I really always felt Spy Hunter was the worst release by Sunsoft.

Wow, if you consider NES Spyhunter "complete garbage compared to the original arcade" then you've lived a charmed retro gaming life indeed. Just thinking about all the arcade ports and rip-offs I've played over the years makes me cringe a bit.

Just take a look at this masterpiece that tried to pass itself off as "Defend" on the C64: http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=18646&d=18&h=0

• Like 2