IGNORED

ANSI source code

9640News

Is there any public domain source code for the TI or Geneve out there displaying ANSI graphics? I saw notes Mass Transfer code was out there, but have not found the source code that included ANSI support.

Beery

TIMXT and PORT both interpret (I believe) standard ANSI escape sequences. If you are wanting to create ANSI menus then you can use anything like PabloDraw or other ANSI editors.

TIMXT and PORT both interpret (I believe) standard ANSI escape sequences. If you are wanting to create ANSI menus then you can use anything like PabloDraw or other ANSI editors.

I'm looking for E/A source code that takes those ANSI escape sequences and then displays them on a screen for terminal emulator use. I saw notes suggesting the author of Mass Transfer released his source code that would do that but have not been able to find it on Whtech if it is there. I've also disassembled the T>ANSI file in Telco, but that will be next to impossible to decode.

Beery

I'm looking for E/A source code that takes those ANSI escape sequences and then displays them on a screen for terminal emulator use. I saw notes suggesting the author of Mass Transfer released his source code that would do that but have not been able to find it on Whtech if it is there. I've also disassembled the T>ANSI file in Telco, but that will be next to impossible to decode.

Beery

Since I am the one who added a few ANSI items to Mass Transfer, I can tell you there is no interpreter code that was released. In fact, those routines mostly displayed the IBM graphics characters (128-255) and discarded the ANSI sequencing, with exception of the clear screen code and one or two others needed to get the foot in the door. Telco was a better option at that time and I had moved on to 80 columns and a lot of Geneve programming by then. As for PORT and some of my other endeavors, sorry, I have not released any of the code into the wild.

Beery, I remembered that in 2013 I released this disk image containing a version of VCLR, my MDOS command line ansi file displayer/interpreter. It is based on older code from PORT and since that was originally conceived as part 'c' and part assembly, it isn't necessarily the cleanest code. Perhaps it will give you some ideas or insight.

VCLR22 ANSI Viewer with Source Released02Feb2013.DSK

• Like 2

Beery, I remembered that in 2013 I released this disk image containing a version of VCLR, my MDOS command line ansi file displayer/interpreter. It is based on older code from PORT and since that was originally conceived as part 'c' and part assembly, it isn't necessarily the cleanest code. Perhaps it will give you some ideas or insight.

Thanks Tim for that file. I will look at the code after I get off Atariage and figure out where I am heading <grin>. I did do some google searching looking for some c-source for screen display. You get all kinds of stuff with ANSI as one of your keyword................

As far as Port, no issues. That's your baby, and it is a great piece of software. I am not trying to get you to release the code.

Myself, I think I know where I need to do some digging to speed things up with MyTerm. Something I am wanting to do with MyTerm is build a Dialer where I can have predefined modem configurations (baud rate and AT commands) along with the website/url and port numbers. ANSI isn't a must, but since just about everything I am accessing has ANSI, it would be nice <grin>.

I just happened to see what would happen last night trying to telnet into a FTP site with whtech. Was a bit surprised I got a response. Now, please realize I know nothing about the ftp protocol to know if the WiModem232 has any potential, however I did see a note elsewhere for another computer something was contemplating if it could deal with a http. It got me to thinking. Right now, that is all it is. <grin>.

Beery

• Like 1

I think you have, hopefully, most of the pieces to get me started. Couple of quick questions. Was that code written for GenLINK, or were you using another Linker?

Out of curiosity, what music was playable? I saw that option in Port, however I did not recall anything from 90's that had music.

Thanks again.

​Beery

Yes - GenAsm and GenLink. I almost always invoke ASM using a batch file, which probably isn't in the disk image. Assemble the code using "ASM source,obj,,RCO" or "ASM source,obj,,RC" [i always forget which one I use for Geneve vs. TI programs]

Yes, ANSI music was playable but rarely encountered. I usually just turned it off. It was more fun trying to make it work than to actually use it. ;)

Yes - GenAsm and GenLink. I almost always invoke ASM using a batch file, which probably isn't in the disk image. Assemble the code using "ASM source,obj,,RCO" or "ASM source,obj,,RC" [i always forget which one I use for Geneve vs. TI programs]

Yes, ANSI music was playable but rarely encountered. I usually just turned it off. It was more fun trying to make it work than to actually use it. ;)

Your batch file was there, but it generated an error when I tried to link things. No worry for now.

I did some coding and got MyTerm to connect to my BBS at 38400 baud without dropping characters and have files transferring at 19200 from the previous 4800 baud. Right now, anything larger than 8K when it tries to save a file, causes an abort. It wasn't much more than just polling the RS232 more often than what had been previously configured. Now, need to figure out that hardware flow control at the RS232 level to pause the data stream during the file block save.

Beery

Edited by BeeryMiller

• 1 month later...

I found this document that I used back in the day: http://www.noah.org/python/pexpect/ANSI-X3.64.htm

Thanks for the file. I have started playing with the ANSI a bit, but not too much. At the moment, I have added the character definitions from 127 to 255. Even in non ANSI mode, with those character definitions, it improves the display with MyTerm. I'm going to rename MyTerm since I am setting it to be more Telnet friendly. I have already got a Phone Dialer added with modem configuration parameters for each BBS, the URL, and the PORT information.

Getting there slowly.

Beery

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

With some code of Tim's I found, I have added ANSI capability to MyTerm. This code was based on using the MDOS Video XOP for screen display. Unfortunately, I am capped at a speed of about 4800 baud with a WiModem232 before I start losing characters using the Video XOP's and not using direct video writes. If only I had the TIPI working on the stock Geneve, this would be a non-issue. Hopefully, at some point in the future, this will be resolved. I know Matt's time is very limited and his free time is focused on a disk manager at the moment.

Later,

Beery

• Like 1

Beery,

The XOPs might disable interrupts while processing the text stream. I think you are using the VCLR code, which didn't need to worry about serial communication as it was a file-display program only. In theory, you could replace the XOP calls with some simple video calls. There are some screen boundaries you might need to manage if you did that. Check your PMs.

Edited by InsaneMultitasker

Do you mean other than Adobe Acrobat type programs?

Adobe does not convert TI Printer formated files with TI Writer into a useable format!

I was asking if there is a App for Windows or Mac to do this?

Example:

I have DV80 file of a TI Manual and can not print it out due to no TI compatible printer?

Edited by RXB

Adobe does not convert TI Printer formated files with TI Writer into a useable format!

I was asking if there is a App for Windows or Mac to do this?

Example:

I have DV80 file of a TI Manual and can not print it out due to no TI compatible printer?

This is a long shot, but can TIDIR let you "VIEW" a TI-WRITER file?

If so you could select all and paste into a more suitable tool for printing.

Not exactly what you want but it might get you started.

• Like 2