IGNORED

3-D Printed Disk Tree

toddtmw

BITD, I had a disk holder (I think it was from Rubbermaid) that had ten tiers to hold disks in a step fashion so that you could easily access your ten most-used disks.

I had been looking for somethign similar and had made something very clunky out of Lego. But, I got a 3-D printer for Christmas, so I designed and printed one myself.

post-50483-0-87886500-1516043580.jpgpost-50483-0-84093000-1516043574.jpgpost-50483-0-28072000-1516043589.jpgpost-50483-0-13373000-1516043567.jpg

If anyone is interested in printing their own, I published it in Thingiverse here.

Once I got this all assembled, it's actually taller than I think I wanted it to be, so I am working on a shorter one. I have the basic design of that done, but it will take me a while to print and assemble it to make sure it all works out.

Once I get that published, I will post a link here in case anyone wants to print that one.

If you do print this, I'd love to see pictures.

I would have liked to do this with each tier a different color (an Atari Rainbow!) but I do not have enought filament colors and buying ten different filament colors gets pretty pricey.

Hope others find this useful!

-Todd

• Like 14

Very nice. Though I'd like one or two a bit shorter as well, and it would be cool if the ATARI name on it was in the traditional Atari font with the curved A's and R, and straight T and I.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

Damn - I wish my 3D printer was working.

I am getting very interested in obtaining one of my own. I can think of a half dozen things for my Atari I'd make straight away...starting with a case for my System Check 2 PBI card.

• Like 1

I am getting very interested in obtaining one of my own. I can think of a half dozen things for my Atari I'd make straight away...starting with a case for my System Check 2 PBI card.

Whatever you do, do not get a Davinci XYZ printer.

• Like 2

You should totally get one. They are very reasonbly priced these days. The one I got was only $400. Filament is really cheap. I wieghed the large disk tree I made, and based on its weight, it costs less than $3 in materials. (Of course, it took about 24 hours (over several days) to actually print it.)

The smaller one will print a little faster, and cost a little less.

• Like 1

Whatever you do, do not get a Davinci XYZ printer.

What went wrong with your printer? I don't know much about the Davinci, but I'm pretty sure I could replace every part on my Quidi X-One 2. I kind of feel like I'm back in the 8-bit days with 9-pin slow-ass dot matirx printers. Can't wait to see how this progresses. I have to believe in 10-20 years (probably less), we will be printing color 3-d objects as fast as we laser print color pages now. They already have 3-d printers that combine with inkjet ink to do full-color 3-d printing.

• Like 1

What went wrong with your printer? I don't know much about the Davinci, but I'm pretty sure I could replace every part on my Quidi X-One 2. I kind of feel like I'm back in the 8-bit days with 9-pin slow-ass dot matirx printers. Can't wait to see how this progresses. I have to believe in 10-20 years (probably less), we will be printing color 3-d objects as fast as we laser print color pages now. They already have 3-d printers that combine with inkjet ink to do full-color 3-d printing.

Basically, the entire thing is shit. There's no way to make any adjustment hold, it doesn't print nicely with 4 different types of filament, the bed leveling is shit, the temp control is shit, the speed is shit. I should say, this is quite an old machine now. I only paid a few hundred for it, I got a few workable parts, and I was an early adopter.

Absolutely no need to start out with a machine so sub par these days. If you asked me five years ago, I would have been singing it praises. Before you ask, I have flashed the latest Repetier firmware to it, spent weeks trying to re-calibrate it.

• Like 2

3D-printing for consumers is more experimental now than the 400/800 were in 1980. IMHO it's more like having an Altair that needs a lot of technical knowledge to keep it working. We do have a fairly pricey model we bought discounted because it has been used as a demo unit and while it does print nicely if it does print, there's so much than can go wrong like the object getting loose from the print plate despite "sticky spray", the head going out of alignment halfway through a 10-hour print, the filament on the spool getting entangled, etc. It tends to get used for bouts at a time and then neglected for months after a more disappointing session of aborted prints.

With the big variety of models even Google isn't always helpful in finding tips and solutions.

Maybe one really needs to spend upwards of $2000 to get something decent that works every time....

I do think this could really take off once multi-filament printing becomes the norm, which would also allow for water-soluble support materials.

• Like 3

Just posted the shorter disk tree with the Atari logo. I like this one much better.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2758193

attachicon.gifIMG_2401.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2403.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2402.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2400.jpg

That's nice - is it strong enough without any raft in the middle? I'd probably connect the back of the square frame to the sides. But I always did have a somewhat crappy printer.

Disks are pretty light, but connecting as you say might give it a better center of gravity and less likely to tip over.

That's nice - is it strong enough without any raft in the middle? I'd probably connect the back of the square frame to the sides. But I always did have a somewhat crappy printer.

3D-printing for consumers is more experimental now than the 400/800 were in 1980. IMHO it's more like having an Altair that needs a lot of technical knowledge to keep it working.

You are 100% correct. I own a 'higher' end FlashForge Creator Pro (which is a good unit) as my first, but you need to be willing to learn what amounts to an entire new complicated discipline with 3D printing at this point in time if you expect to be successful.

• Like 3

I used to have these 5¼ inch disk boxes that held 10 disks and had a lever on the front that when rotated would push up a wedge shaped thing inside so the disks would pop up like in the pic you posted of the tree with the disks in. I just had a flash of memory, thanks for that!

They had an outer cover that rotated all the way around to form a stand.