IGNORED

Help me decide which vectrex to keep?

walterg74

Hi all, I have two vectrex systems, and despite not really wanting to I have to get rid of one.

Trying to decide which one I should keep after reading a lot about hong kong vs taiwan, serial numbers, buzz and no buzz, fonts, etc ...

These are the two units:

Unit1

Made in Hong Kong

Serial is 0091548

Does not have the buzz sound (it does crackle a bit when adjusting volume)

Screen seems to be *a little* offset downwards, and while I don't notice it in games, it is noticeable if you load up for example the Sean Kelly multicart, where you can only see a fraction of the controls indication line (1 up, 2 down, etc. )

Font is (As I believe all hong kong models?) a little smaller and more compact, I really like that font better

One of the tests from the test cart rev 4 does not seem to be correct. The deflection protect one, the square starts off really small, and not the size of half the screen as it is indicated it should.

Controller has a small scuff mark close to the rounded edge

Unit 2

Made in Taiwan

Serial is 107546 A

Has the noticeable and distinct buzz

Font is larger/uglier?

Position seems to be ok (I am no expert to know if its *perfect* but looks ok)

Does not seem to have any issues with the test cart tests. The deflection protect test goes as I believe it should, showing nothing for a few seconds and then the square that takes up about half the screen in size and gradually gets bigger

Aesthetically it is a tiny bit better.

Any feedback on all above mentioned points is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Edited by walterg74

I've read that the Hong Kong Vectrex is -slightly- more reliable, but I don't know how much stock I put in that.

Honestly, these beasts are getting ridiculously expensive. If you sell one and then the other one blows a capacitor, you'll be kicking yourself while you scramble to get it fixed.

If it was me, I'd do what I could to hang on to both...

I've read that the Hong Kong Vectrex is -slightly- more reliable, but I don't know how much stock I put in that.

Honestly, these beasts are getting ridiculously expensive. If you sell one and then the other one blows a capacitor, you'll be kicking yourself while you scramble to get it fixed.

If it was me, I'd do what I could to hang on to both...

Yeah I read that too but only in one place, which is the post pointed at by hcmffm right above here so not really sure.

Id love to keep both but the whole process of getting the purchase authorized was to get two so selling one pays for both (I am in south america and prices here are wayyyy more expensive, to that is actually feasible).

Edited by walterg74

I'd keep both if I were you, but IMHO if I had to sell one, I would let go of the one made in Taiwan and keep the Hong Kong model. I'd kill to have a 2nd, backup unit, so consider

yourself lucky. Sounds like they could both use a little work though. ;) Good luck either way.

So if I keep the HK one, several things to fix and don't know where to start. But the Taiwan one, besides the fact that it's supposed to be worse, what do you see wrong with it?