IGNORED

Hatari: switching drives when mounting disk images?

You would press F12 to bring up the Hatari menu. Then, click on Floppy Disks to bring up that dialog. You will click Browse in order to find the disk that's on the other drive. Unfortunately, the SDL file selector isn't the native Windows file browser so it's a bit clunky to use.

Bob C

Ok, there are buttons at the top of the file selector for floppy image directory...

Up: Goes up a sub directory...

CWD: Directory where Hatari resides

Home: Your User directory in Windows

Root: Root of drice where hatari was installed

Yeah, the previous versions of Hatari assumes you know about Linux style directories. The 2.0.0 version is sorta like the STOS file selector which was also wonky compaired to GEM's.

@HarryPotter - The quick answer is there is no way to change drives from the SDL file selector. However, you can work around the problem by changing the value of szDiskImageDirectory in the [Floppy] section of the hatari.cfg file. By default, you'll find this file at: C:\Users\(Your windows login)\.hatari

I ran the 2.0.0 version of Hatari on my Windows virtual machine after making this change and Hatari did look on the new drive for the disk images. I realize this isn't convenient if you want to have your ST images on multiple drives, but I'm hoping that isn't the case.

When editing the hatari.cfg file, I found it easiest to use WordPad and tell it to save as a text file. Notepad didn't show any line breaks since it probably isn't using a CR/LF line ending.

[Floppy]
bAutoInsertDiskB = TRUE
FastFloppy = FALSE
EnableDriveA = TRUE
DriveA_NumberOfHeads = 2
EnableDriveB = TRUE
DriveB_NumberOfHeads = 2
nWriteProtection = 0
szDiskAZipPath =
szDiskAFileName =
szDiskBZipPath =
szDiskBFileName =
szDiskImageDirectory = E:\ 

I've added a link to the Atari-Forum discussion where this topic was discussed in 2015.

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=28385

TL;DR: The Hatari developers all use Linux. Windows is the only modern OS that uses drive letters. If they received a patch from a Windows user who's also a developer, they'd be interested in the support.

As to why the Hatari Windows UI is so bad, it's because no Windows user has stepped forward to write a Windows front end. I heard from someone years ago who created a Hatari front end but, to my knowledge, it was never released.

Bob C

Edited by darwinmac