IGNORED

Matt Splett Time

Toucan

It's Matt Splett time, as he takes on Bigfoot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5KkiFN7fVg

He was streaming live on 1/6. Might be up for a TI challenge, like to see him stream Parsec.

He also did another Bigfoot on 1/13, just 2 days ago. Wonder if there's a way to play against him? Might be fun challenging him to a Meteor Belt duel.

Edited by Toucan
  • Like 1

I am not sure why you would say that about an obvious reference to a common idiom—especially, where most seeing it are gamers and the one who issued the challenge is a whole lot younger than we.

...lee

True, I'd agree most people have heard the, "Throw down the gauntlet" phrase. I was questioning how many of them actually know the origin of the phrase. True, Sinphaltimus obviously knows it's origin with the posting of the photo, but are you saying he's a whole lot younger than me? Say it ain't so! I'm not that THAT old! ;)

True, I'd agree most people have heard the, "Throw down the gauntlet" phrase. I was questioning how many of them actually know the origin of the phrase. True, Sinphaltimus obviously knows it's origin with the posting of the photo, but are you saying he's a whole lot younger than me? Say it ain't so! I'm not that THAT old! ;)

I am pretty sure I am not the oldest on this forum, but, at 74, I am pretty close. Sorry—I did not intend to age you if you are not in that league. :P

...lee

Nice, I was able to add my details to that poll before I get into the next age bracket :) (grin)

---

So the real reason I'm live streaming my Bigfoot gameplay is to get used to live streaming... I really don't like editing... So I need to condition myself toward the correct level of effort. And, I've spend almost all of my free time in the last year on TIPI... If I don't take some little breaks, and enjoy this computer, I'd burn out.

Since this thread is all about me, I'll continue... :) and lead us away from competitive gaming, as there is a different thread for that.

---

I've picked up one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N16ZM2M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1(it was a gift... from myself)

I had an Elgato 60HD (actually it is still on my shelf, I plan to put that up on e-bay), which is considerably more affordable, but Microsoft Windows angered me to no end when Edge installed crap without asking. So I needed to switch up to something that follows industry standards like the Magewell, so it works under Linux without drivers... The Magewell is slick, it is a standard USB audio in, USB audio out, and UVC video in. So it fits into the ecosystem well. I'm using OBS - Open Broadcaster Studio to capture and mix the inputs from the Magewell, my webcam, and another USB desk-mic.

I can actually, easily add another web cam into the mix, which I'll probably aim at the actual TI or the workbench as appropriate ( instead of bigfoot cover art )

The magewell is more capable for retro computing than the Elgato was. The Elgato 60HD has higher minimum input requirements, so it won't grab 480p... :( My VGA to HDMI converters all output 480p if the VGA signal is only 480 rows high. So I used to have to have another upscaler in the mix. That isn't necessary anymore with the Magewell. So far I'm content with it. With this setup, I can capture/stream from my TI, Tomy Tutor, Geneve 9640, Amiga 1200, etc...

---

The only issues I have is that the mic input on the Magewell is not visible to OBS directly. Software that selects at a lower level finds it just fine, but OBS is going to require that I set up some pulseaudio virtual mixer or something... Right now I work around that by sending all my retro computers to a mixer, and feeding the output of that into the VGA to HDMI converter's audio injection jack.

---

I've ordered some more bits from Tanam1972 for my Tomy, and I'll learn how those work and post a video for that too. I suppose I could capture from the CC-40 with a gorillapod, and webcam. Once I build the boards I received from 'brain'? I'll probably give that a go too...

It's all just more ways to have fun with all these gadgets...

-M@

• Like 2

If you want to challenge, just join us over here in this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/241547-high-score-competition-january-bigfoot/?p=3925274

-M@

Well, actually I was thinking more of a head-to-head challenge than a high score competition. Since Meteor Belt is a simultaneous 2-player game, it would be one where you could head-to-head against someone. you probably would have to do it through emulation on the PC to allow for two people to play head-to-head. Speaking of which, it would be kind of neat if an emulator had this feature to somehow allow people to go head to head.

Maybe have the a website where gamers could connect for head-to-head match-ups and the server has the game and emulation software on it with some programming to allow for transmitting the data to both end-users? Probably could do this over a browser if the emulator was on a server.

Edited by Toucan

Well, actually I was thinking more of a head-to-head challenge than a high score competition. Since Meteor Belt is a simultaneous 2-player game, it would be one where you could head-to-head against someone. you probably would have to do it through emulation on the PC to allow for two people to play head-to-head. Speaking of which, it would be kind of neat if an emulator had this feature to somehow allow people to go head to head.

Maybe have the a website where gamers could connect for head-to-head match-ups and the server has the game and emulation software on it with some programming to allow for transmitting the data to both end-users? Probably could do this over a browser if the emulator was on a server.

Also would be neat to allow others to watch it, like a live broadcast of the two people playing.

MAME used to have a version called Kaillera - but my quick google indicates it's fraught with security problems and there isn't a MESS version...

I never heard of Kaillera - which may be because the latest release is from 2004! I wonder whether this is still running with MAME as of today.

To bring this back to the topic of 'me' :) I never actually played any multiplayer games on the TI until Portland Retro Gaming Expo 2016... where a passer by and I played Beyond Parsec. It was a hoot.

Since then, I've play tested Combatti with ElectricLab across 2 TI's... that is fun too. We are working on extending TIPI to allow games to be written to support multiplayer models across the network on real-iron.

-M@

• Like 2