IGNORED

SCART-GENIE V1.0

Shift838

Great progress! Quick comment - the Directory Manager colors are normally white on blue. Is the photo misleading or did you adjust your mdos colors or is there a difference in how the colors are displayed through the circuit?

It's my camera on my phone. The colors are white on blue and looks great.

It's my camera on my phone. The colors are white on blue and looks great.

Thanks :) Today I got to wondering if I had asked the same question before lol. My Kodak SV1310 started doing the horizontal roll yesterday. A light smack to the side calmed it down after all other adjustment attempts failed. The Magnavox is working again (for now) on Heatwave's system. That monitor has been operational almost 24x7/365 since the late 80s (I change the switch to composite to 'disable' the display when I'm not there) so I've certainly gotten my money's worth. I used to loathe taking it to the Chicago Faire for fear that it wouldn't turn back on again ;)

I am waiting on one more part to make exact measurements. The SCART Female connector I will be using. I need to make sure I have the clip holes on the PCB correct. Once I have those in hand then I can order the first DEV Prototype boards. That will take a couple of weeks to get them in hand to build and test.

my plan is to get a few made and send them out to be tested on other Geneve computers.

• Like 1

I received the part to get exact measurements. My new SCART to HDMI upscaler was lost and I only received the top of the box in the mail...So I have not been able to fully test with the SCART upscaler (since my other got toasted).

Good news is that it did work on my old one so it should.

I am going to go through the pcb design a couple more times and make sure all looks right before I order a set of proto boards.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got the first prototype built!

Works great. I need to make one adjustment on one of the holes used to help mount the SCART connector as it's a little too far. This will allow the pressure-clip to go in easier. but it's nothing to do with the circuit, which is good!

post-35187-0-91603900-1524270406_thumb.jpg

post-35187-0-50359400-1524270414_thumb.jpg

post-35187-0-65892800-1524270421_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I got the first prototype built!

Works great. I need to make one adjustment on one of the holes used to help mount the SCART connector as it's a little too far. This will allow the pressure-clip to go in easier. but it's nothing to do with the circuit, which is good!

Love it! I look forward to ordering a lifetime supply from you!

i spoke to Bob about the SCART Genie probably a month or so ago. He peeked my interest by asking how hard it would be to make a AVPC version of the SCART Genie.

He sent me pinouts of the AVPC and EVPC. So.. what the hell.. They all need a SCART-Genie!

so I have worked out a design based on the same circuit I used for the 9640 version.

I have ordered some test prototypes...

post-35187-0-31432700-1524713228_thumb.jpg

post-35187-0-14228600-1524714396_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I could use one or two. I would put both Geneves on my back aisle using a K/V/M, and the SNUG TI-99/4P could go where my old VISTA mid-tower support PC use to be (replaced by Dell laptop w/Docking station) and share via K/V/M with TI NanoPEB/CF7A+ side cars. Provided there is a way to adapt the Geneve's XT keyboard to USB, and likewise the SNUG-TI AT keyboard. Anyone?

I could use one or two. I would put both Geneves on my back aisle using a K/V/M, and the SNUG TI-99/4P could go where my old VISTA mid-tower support PC use to be (replaced by Dell laptop w/Docking station) and share via K/V/M with TI NanoPEB/CF7A+ side cars. Provided there is a way to adapt the Geneve's XT keyboard to USB, and likewise the SNUG-TI AT keyboard. Anyone?

I have built JediMatt's USB Keyboard for the Geneve. It works great.

Check it out HERE

• Like 2

Do you think it would also work with the SNUG TI-99/4P? I use an AT/XT keyboard with manual switch for both the Geneves and SNUG TI.

I don't think so. I know the AT and XT signals are different. I know Matt's USB keyboard for the TI vs Geneve is only a firmware code change. The PCB and all is the exact same, but Matt would have to comment to see if it will work.

Is it the same cable as used between a C64 and the 1541 drive?

it's the same connector (6 pin DIN) i believe. I would have to look up the pin assignments between the cable and see. I completely forgot about the 1541 using that connector. Of course I did not have one, so not real versed on the C64. but I do recall it having that connection.

time to hit google...

Since SCART monitors (i.e., Samsung MP series) are almost impossible to find at a reasonable price if at all, I think an option would be a HDMI monitor,

"SCART Monitor:

Geneve --> 9640_Genie --> SCART monitor

SCART to HDMI converter:

Geneve --> 9640_Genie --> SCART to HDMI Converter --> Monitor

DISCLAIMER: Also not all SCART to HDMI converters work the as well as others. There are a couple like the Elefant ( i'll need to verify the spelling) that work's good. And you would be able to use it with any HDMI monitor or KVM. I have also seen that not all HDMI monitors work as others as well. I have seen on a 32" 1080p tv that it worked flawlessly and there was no interference, but on a small 19" HDMI 720p TV i had interference waves."

Does anyone have any input into which modern HDMI monitors would (or should) work?

Since SCART monitors (i.e., Samsung MP series) are almost impossible to find at a reasonable price if at all, I think an option would be a HDMI monitor,

"SCART Monitor:

Geneve --> 9640_Genie --> SCART monitor

SCART to HDMI converter:

Geneve --> 9640_Genie --> SCART to HDMI Converter --> Monitor

DISCLAIMER: Also not all SCART to HDMI converters work the as well as others. There are a couple like the Elefant ( i'll need to verify the spelling) that work's good. And you would be able to use it with any HDMI monitor or KVM. I have also seen that not all HDMI monitors work as others as well. I have seen on a 32" 1080p tv that it worked flawlessly and there was no interference, but on a small 19" HDMI 720p TV i had interference waves."

Does anyone have any input into which modern HDMI monitors would (or should) work?

I have tested on my AOC FreeSYNC 144mhz. Model G2460PF and it works fairly well, I do have to change my aspect ratio though so it does not stretch the desktop. I also tried it with a LG HDMI TV and it looked pretty good as well.

I have built JediMatt's USB Keyboard for the Geneve. It works great.

Check it out HERE

The question is; can you do the same for PC/AT keyboards? Once you do that then I will be interested in 2 x PC/XT and 1 x PC/AT USB keyboard devices. I have two for my TI 99/4A consoles, and I'm very happy with them.