New Coleco RGB board?

ColecoVision RGB Coleco

157 replies to this topic

#151 mobiusstriptech OFFLINE  

mobiusstriptech

Chopper Commander

• 180 posts

Posted Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:49 PM

The Colecovision only had RF originally. This isnt exactly like those as they use a fpga or cpld with custom firmware. However it is more involved than just a RGB bypass board like the ones for the SNES. The colorspace is being converted from YUV to RGB.

#152 panzeroceania OFFLINE  

panzeroceania

Space Invader

• 28 posts

Posted Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:19 PM

thanks! yeah I know the CV only had RF externally but was trying to figure out what it outputs internally. to reference a newer system the PC Engine had a standard RF out but it had RGBS available internally. I believe the Atari VCS only has RF externally but has Y/C ( Luma-Chroma / S-Video) internally.

So what you're saying is on the TMS9928A Pins 35, 36, and 38 output B-Y (Blue difference) Y (Luminance) and R-Y (Red difference), and that in this mod it is a simple color Transcode from Y,B-Y,R-Y to RGBs, which is a much simpler process than a from scratch digital to analog Encode which these other devices like the F18A, NESRGB, etc are doing, which basically bypass the entire native analog encoding process of the Colecovision video IC. Whereas the solution in this thread works with what the original Colecovision IC natively outputs and performs a simple transcode on. right?

Thanks!

Edited by panzeroceania, Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:21 PM.

#153 mobiusstriptech OFFLINE  

mobiusstriptech

Chopper Commander

• 180 posts

Posted Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:24 PM

Yes. Precisely.

#154 grips03 ONLINE  

grips03

River Patroller

• 3,664 posts

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:48 PM

was there a 50Hz European version of this mod?

#155 mobiusstriptech OFFLINE  

mobiusstriptech

Chopper Commander

• 180 posts

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:50 PM

There is a PAL board as well. I don't know if anyone ever tested it though. A few people said they were going to order them. Citrus put them up on oshpark if you want to make some.

#156 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• 1,294 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:49 AM

Would this work on the Adam Computer?

#157 mobiusstriptech OFFLINE  

mobiusstriptech

Chopper Commander

• 180 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:38 AM

Technically it should. As long as it has the same series vdp equipped. I don't know if anyone has actually tried it yet.

#158 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,013 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:57 PM

Would this work on the Adam Computer?

No reason that it shouldn't seeing as the CV board on an Adam is nearly identical... just rearranged a little.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ColecoVision, RGB, Coleco

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users