IGNORED

Any MSX love?

VicViper

I like the MSX! I have the two US only MSX models (really meant as music computers) and a Megaflashrom SCC+ SD. The MSX has thousands of games and I would like to get a MSX2 that works good in the US.

What models where released in the US? I tried finding the info and couldn't find them.

The Japanese MSX2 can work just fine in US, these are NTSC and even thought A.C. hardware is for 100 V.A.C it works just fine with 127 V.A.C.

Of course connecting video only thru composite or components as the RF modulator is calculated for Japanese TV.

I've just finished an rgb->scart cable for my Sony F1-XDJ. I have an 2xsd-based 512 megaram mapper, which turns out to be very confusing to use, as it emulates a variety of things, cartridge rom goes one place, a:, b: the cartridge's files, c: is a Gotek 720kb. I typed b: but accidentally hit b* and it ran the first program that it found with b in it, on another drive - so even the dos is confusing.

I still haven't figured out how to run SpaceManBow.

If I understand correctly, Yamaha released the CX5M and perhaps one more model in the US as music computers but possibly they were alone on the market.

Personally I'm getting by with a Philips VG-8235 which is a rather common MSX2 model over here, though designed for European conditions and power then.

The Japanese MSX2 can work just fine in US, these are NTSC and even thought A.C. hardware is for 100 V.A.C it works just fine with 127 V.A.C.

Of course connecting video only thru composite or components as the RF modulator is calculated for Japanese TV.

My understanding is this is a bad idea. Should use a step down transformer.

• Like 2

I've wanted an MSX for a while. Problem for me is they're a little expensive for what they can do. I've played a lot of emulated MSX games on the PSP, and the original MSX really does feel about ColecoVision level. MSX2, maybe more like NES, but the games aren't quite as good. And an MSX2 machine is like $200 minimum. If you can get one of those A-1's for less than $200 shipped, might be worth going for. My understanding is that they're like the lowest of the MSX2's, though. Not much RAM, VRAM or whatever, might not support all games without upgrades.

Turbo R's, forget it. Like $700! At that point, I'd rather just play on emulation.

This is a solid all in one solution

https://www.msx.org/wiki/MSX_Cartridge_Shop_MegaFlashROM_SCC%2B_SD

You can use as flash cartridge and as SD disk at the same time.

It includes the SCC audio chip and mapper for konami and recent homebrew games, and additional psg chip to avoid any balancing problem between scc and psg, and it can emulate a floppy disk by its .dsk file.

It can also include up to 512kB of ram expansion.

Edited by artrag

My understanding is this is a bad idea. Should use a step down transformer.

yes and no

is it going to cause a problem

probably not

most wall wart transformers are rated at 10-20% tolerance

so a wall wart from japan rated at 100v should be ok at 110/120 we pull from outlets here in the us

on the other had you are causing more strain on the wall wart and they will run hot so it can cause the brick to fail premature

i really only use my step down xformer on my systems that have internal power supplies

Saturn , PlayStation , etc

I lived in Japan for 14 years so MSX has a special spot for me. In my recent trip back, I picked up a bunch of sports games for MSX1. I'm selling them on eBay. If you want the link to my store, ping me. Also have 3 MSX2 machines. I am building a special power supply to run a Panasonic and Sony. The third MSX2 is also a Sony but takes a larger 3 pin supply. (grrrrrr). I tend to import a few MSX machines a month.

Good to see some love for MSX here.

Cheers

• Like 1

I agree and I did that path.

If the CV had had more ram probably it would have lasted much longer.

The ColecoVision's problems were not its RAM or lack thereof, but the company behind it.

Until recently I had a very nice large and diverse MSX collection. In making the hard choice to keep a minimal collection, it had to go. Perhaps if it had a bit more English-centric content I would have kept one.

For those willing to give a try to an mx1 this is a web emulator with quite a lot of games to be selected by a menu

http://www.file-hunter.com/MSX/index.php?id=uridium48

Uridium48 is the freeware version of a port done of mine

This is original mine instead

http://www.file-hunter.com/MSX/index.php?id=deepdungeon

I've also developed the voice coder used in this Salamander patch

http://www.file-hunter.com/MSX/index.php?id=salamander

Edited by artrag
  • Like 3

My latest haul: 7 assorted MSX1 and MSX2 games for a total of ~$38 at a local gaming flea market. No particularly interesting titles, but at affordable prices.

post-5454-0-12256100-1517092244.jpg

From right to left:

Casio: Exciting Jockey

Casio: Exciting Baseball

Nidec-M: The Cockpit (MSX2)

HAL: Hole in One Special (MSX2) *

Takara/Toshiba: Real Tennis

Sony: Four Battle Mah-Jong

Square: Dragon Slayer

*) Now I've got four different golf games on the MSX, of which 3 from HAL and 1 from Konami

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 3

64K of RAM are fine only if you plan to use roms and megaroms. If you want to try msxdos based games and recent homebrews, you will need more ram (or a ram cartridge).

Actually msxdos2 will need 128KB minimum to start, but allows FAT16 and subdirctories.

msxdos1 will start with 64KB but uses FAT12 and no subdirectories.

Edited by artrag