IGNORED

Jaguar Jukebox

Clint Thompson

Fun learning exercise that I've managed to complete in a few short days. Not really sure what brought me to trying this, maybe it was reminiscing about the early 90's and looking through some older computer magazines. Every button does something somewhere.

Attached is the ROM to load into your Skunk or dust off the JagCD and burn the CD image:

post-985-0-52028900-1516491399_thumb.jpg

JagJukeRom.zip

JaguarJukeboxCD.zip

Shout out to the guys in the programming section for helping me resolve the audio issues!

Interesting to note: All of this fits in right at 1MB compressed into a ROM and then decompresses into the Jaguar's 2MB of RAM. If I were to expand on the idea and learn how to use some more functions (which I should), while it would eliminate the possibility of a CD version, a 4 or 6MB version could mean 20+ different music files to select from. If the interest is there, maybe I'll go back and expand upon it, otherwise it's just something whipped together quickly for the fun of it.

Hope you guys get some enjoyment from it and should you go through the trouble to download and load it up, thanks for checking it out!

*Also, if anyone is running this on a CRT, would love to see a screenshot of how it looks on the real deal as oppose to an LCD screen.

• Like 14

I'll test this in just a few minutes for you man. I can shoot a video on my CRT but not sure how to ad a video to this page at all. I can try and ad it to the facebook post I think. if you send a note in here of how to ad a video I can try to ad it, otherwise I'll try to ad it to your facebook post.

Edited by UHATEIT
  • Like 1

Looks and sounds great on a CRT :thumbsup:

jagjuke.png

I may have found a bug on real hardware though. After the program starts, if I start a song, and then press '0' to stop the song, there is a short buzz sound, and then I can't get any of the songs to play. If I let the program sit there, there is a short buzz sound that repeats (sounding a bit different each time) about every 20 seconds. I have tried re-downloading and flashing a couple times with the same results.

I can't seem to reproduce the bug in an emulator though.

• Like 1

26814894_1965672350124801_72267916793735

That's the image I posted on Facebook of the CRT (Sony Trinitron flat CRT). I added a video as well but I am not seeing it on the post for some reason. I didn't have any glitches with this. Using a Skunkboard and a Jaguar console vs. an emulator. Sounds perfect!

Edited by UHATEIT
  • Like 2

I understand you aren't asking for suggestions, so please ignore if you decide to not work on this anymore.

It would be nice to have some kind of simple screen saver option (jaguar logo bouncing around or teleporting on a black screen maybe...), or a way to toggle the graphics on and off. Don't want to permanently burn that awesome technicolor jukebox into my CRT.

• Like 1

Nicely done :)

Thanks!

I understand you aren't asking for suggestions, so please ignore if you decide to not work on this anymore.

It would be nice to have some kind of simple screen saver option (jaguar logo bouncing around or teleporting on a black screen maybe...), or a way to toggle the graphics on and off. Don't want to permanently burn that awesome technicolor jukebox into my CRT.

Always open to and interested in hearing suggestions/feedback. You're right about it needing a screen saver mode of sorts. Want to say it was in mind in the beginning but got sidetracked with all the other goofy things that were added along the way and just kind of spaced it at the end. About the audio issues, is your Jaguar a K or M model? I'm running it on M and it's fine. The music doesn't always stop completely using 0 as expected but it doesn't stop from starting the other tunes, so that seems unusual. Had a few people test it with no issues so I'm really wondering if it's a model thing now or what. I know I couldn't run the recent game made by Lars on my Model M but it appears to work fine on K Jaguars so it would be interesting to know what is causing certain things to run just fine on one or the other of models, especially if I make anything with actual substance to release. Would hate to find out that half the people end up having serious issues.

Appreciate you guys taking of few CRT pictures of it, feel like it looks way better that way but I don't want burn-in to result so will plan to update it for that purpose, at very least. Maybe make the Jukebox float around or something slowly as well.

About the audio issues, is your Jaguar a K or M model?

The console I tested on in my previous post model is a K model. It is my primary console for programming, been using it for years and haven't seen any abnormal behavior in games or programs that I am working on.

I just tested on another model K (but happens to have a model M bios in it right now... Don't ask), and the '0' key does stop the music, but I believe I am only getting a few instruments of each song playing playing through the speakers now. My guess this is a symptom of the older bios in a newer console though, I have been told there can be funkiness when you put an older bios on a newer board. I did test Raiden and Fight for Life to double check my speakers to make sure something didn't go bad, and the audio seemed fine in those games. I mention this only because it might be a clue to point some of the more experienced individuals here to a/the problem.

I believe I have a model M at my office, that has it's proper bios in it :-D I will give it another try tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Turns out the office console is a K model as well.

It has the same starting problem after you have stopped a song with '0'.

Something else I noticed that was weird is sometimes after a cold boot, if I spam song 6 button it starts making weird noises. As soon as I stop pressing the button over and over again, the song returns to normal. And even weirder, the '0' stop music button begins to work properly (I am able to start songs again after stopping them). If I get a moment sometime soon, I will shoot a video and post.

Turns out the office console is a K model as well.

It has the same starting problem after you have stopped a song with '0'.

Something else I noticed that was weird is sometimes after a cold boot, if I spam song 6 button it starts making weird noises. As soon as I stop pressing the button over and over again, the song returns to normal. And even weirder, the '0' stop music button begins to work properly (I am able to start songs again after stopping them). If I get a moment sometime soon, I will shoot a video and post.

I'll just eliminate the '0' stop feature in the future.

It's very simple what it's doing with minimal code, stopping the modplay when you select another song with slight delay before starting the next song and I suppose if you're depressing multiple buttons at the same time back to back it'll string together and then cause it to glitch out so don't do that ;-) *alternatively, I could make some lame excuse like this Jukebox was programmed and based in hell, so please don't depress multiple buttons at the same time or you could wake the sound demons which cause unpleasant audio feedback problems from Satan himself...

Thanks for checking it out again, any suggestions for what to change I'm all ears.

Edited by Clint Thompson