IGNORED

New ICD R-Time 8 Case for MacRorie's Drop-in Replacement

COREi64

Hi...

Having received MacRorie's drop-in R-Time 8 replacement cartridge late last week, I got busy putting together a case for it. There were a few differences in the cartridge construction that caused me to need to re-examine the SpartaDOS X design. As a result, many of the changes that I had to apply in the design of this cartridge shell were also applied to the SpartaDOSX case.

Reason for these changes were height of board components, type of connector used on the end of the cartridge, and additional allowance was given for the possibility of the connector being soldered on slightly askew. Both cases now are much more forgiving with regards to board construction and component height.

In the end, I came up with this final design. I searched for an example of the original logo/text that came on the cartridge. Alas, I couldn't find anything that I could directly translate into an SVG. In the end I simply re-drew the design on my model. I'm thinking it turned out alright.

Here are some photos of the board I received from MacRorie.

IMG_2878.jpg IMG_2879.jpg
Here's some photos of the case with the cartridge installed. I've tried it on all of my various machines including the 1200XL, and it still fits fine.
IMG_2884.jpg IMG_2885.jpg
IMG_2886.jpg IMG_2887.jpg
IMG_2888.jpg
And some without the cartridge in the case.
IMG_2889.jpg IMG_2890.jpg
IMG_2891.jpg IMG_2892.jpg
IMG_2893.jpg IMG_2894.jpg

If anyone has a use for one of these you can let me know. I think next case I'll put together is for MacRorie's long R-Time 8.

Thomas

COREi64

• Like 7

Thanks!

This light grey that you see is actually "glow in the dark blue", so anyone that picks this "light grey" will be surprised when they turn the lights off in their computer room and glance back to see an eerie glow by their machine! :)

As for other available colors, here's the list of filaments that I have in stock.

Red
White
Blue (translucent dark)
Blue (powder/baby blue)
Blue (Glow in the dark) - appears grey in natural light
Green (translucent dark)
Green (peak)
Green (pine)
Brown (dark)
Black
Gold
Magenta
Natural (translucent)
Orange
Pink
Purple
Yellow
Grey
People can mix and match if they want too... If you want a different top color than the bottom? Sure. If you want a different colored hat/shield than the rest of the case... I can do that too.
Thomas
COREi64
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...