anyone ever done any cart conversions

discgolfer72

I've not popped one open yet

but wanting to know if its possible and what required

I have a burner and a large selection of eproms here

just need to know if any extra mods are needed to the cart to run eproms

I ask because i really want a copy of demon attack

and the only 2 on feepay are stupid priced

and with to many copies of color script /breakout here it might be worth a shot to try and convert one to demon attack

yes i know i can play the game on my ti99 (that version really sucks ) and on my Atari 800xl (not to bad )

but really remember the Tandy version the most from when i was a kid

I've also been wanting to build my own Coco Donkey Kong eprom cartridge for years now.

If anyone here is knowledgeable on this, please post it here. I would need the following information:

1) the Rom file itself already "modified" per say into a "ready to burn onto an eprom" format.

2) Which carts are suitable donors, specifically which carts make the best (easiest / least modifications needed) donors.

3) Which (if any) pins on the eprom need to be lifted, bridged, etc. As well as which (if any) traces need to be cut on the board.

4) A nice clean beautiful & printable cart sticker that can be slapped on the cart afterwards.

Yeah, so great, thanks.

(I won't hold my breath)

well looks like the 2 I have here use the same pcb layout and the chips look to be connected electronically the same

looks like the 2 carts i opened here use chips with the same package size (24 pin )

one has a GI branded 8404 (color script)

the other has a non branded cn42527n maybe a 8232 (breakout )

anyone have data sheets for the chips used in these I searched the web and the numbers are not bringing anything up

and anyone want to snap a pic of the insides of their demon attack so I can confirm that the pcb is the same (or confirm that it is )

post-63035-0-13820000-1517087851_thumb.jpg

I think those are custom masked ROM #s. They are probably only 8K or 16K.

I don't think any version of Donkey Kong for the CoCo will fit in 8K. Only Monkey Kong might fit in 16K.

Look for the thread on a Dragon/CoCo multi-cart somewhere in this area and skip the donor cart.

Edited by JamesD

thinking about it more

if I remember correct while cleaning a lot of coco carts I swear i ran across one or 2 that used actual eproms

I was thinking about the multicart

but ive never had any luck using windows to double up roms, to make them the proper size like is required on that cart (wish there was a sd cart).

I have never had a problem fixing arcade and pinball boards using my burner as long as I'm using the correct file and size eprom

every time I have to use cmd on windows to try and resize the files it never works lol , so I'm a bit put off by the way that multicart works

I already have every cart game I would want except for demon attack so a cart conversion would be ideal for me right now just have to find out what eprom to use in place of the mask roms

I already found a raw dump of the game in .bin for my burner

guess ill dig deeper into the web and try and find some info/datasheet on the mask roms used and find a suitable eprom replacement

• 3 weeks later...

well after a bit more research

looks like some have been using 27c64 eproms on the coco 3 carts

dusted off my programmer

and i dug into my bins and have some 2732s hopefully i can get a few to blank

and ill burn the .bin to one and see what i get

cant find any of my chip sockets (i know i have some somewhere ) once i find them (or steal one form a parts pcb on my dead jamma shelf)

ill solder one onto one of these carts and see what i get

post-63035-0-18390400-1518579654_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-45173900-1518579674_thumb.jpg

Edited by discgolfer72