2600 sd card multicart stm32f4

38 replies to this topic

#26 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 22,967 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:09 AM

Thanks! But the menu is flickering though, its just my TV + camera does a good job of masking it.

Too bad, I was hoping for a possible improvement of the Harmony menu. icon_smile.gif

Joystick up/down moves up and down, left/right pages forwards and back, and of course you can use directories to help arrange things.

Yup, that's the bare minimum.

But you should consider other controllers or at least allow navigating the menu with the joystick in both ports. And since ROM file names tend to be quite long, IMO you should also think about a way to display the whole filename.

Maybe have a look at the Harmony menu and code. And please let me know if you need help there.

I love your conversion of Thrust by the way, it is probably my favorite title I played while testing the cart and I'm definitely planning to return to it - I'm sure it is way better than either the ZX Spectrum or Atari 8-bit versions from back in the day.

Thanks a lot! People either love or hate the game. icon_smile.gif

#27 DirtyHairy OFFLINE  

DirtyHairy

Moonsweeper

• 323 posts

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:31 PM

I guess it would take a considerable bit of work, but Eshu's 32 character kernel (http://atariage.com/...r-text-display/) and maybe its DPC+ friends would lend themselves nicely to a improved menu... :P

#28 electrotrains OFFLINE  

electrotrains

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 277 posts

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:23 PM

Just a quick update on the project - after about a week of frustration and bad noises, I got DPC working and Pitfall II now seems to play fine, along with reasonable sounding music. So the cartridge now plays 100% of the 2600's classic library (well, at least until someone testing tells me otherwise).

Latest firmware and sources are on github.

Robin

#29 citrus3000psi OFFLINE  

citrus3000psi

Space Invader

• 41 posts

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:33 PM

Very cool project.  Do you plan to release the PCB design files soon? I'm not wanting to resell, just like to build one for myself.   :)

Edited by citrus3000psi, Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:36 PM.

#30 Trip2018 OFFLINE  

Trip2018

Space Invader

• 40 posts
  • young nerd

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:39 PM

Have you tried a 64k rom like zippy the porkupine. Sometimes 64k roms can be a real pain.

#31 electrotrains OFFLINE  

electrotrains

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 277 posts

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:41 PM

Have you tried a 64k rom like zippy the porkupine. Sometimes 64k roms can be a real pain.

Yes, it seems to run fine (I only played it for a bit). The cart supports ROMs up to 64k.

#32 Trip2018 OFFLINE  

Trip2018

Space Invader

• 40 posts
  • young nerd

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:50 PM

Yes, it seems to run fine (I only played it for a bit). The cart supports ROMs up to 64k.

Sweet

#33 electrotrains OFFLINE  

electrotrains

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 277 posts

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 PM

Very cool project.  Do you plan to release the PCB design files soon? I'm not wanting to resell, just like to build one for myself.   :)

I haven't released the PCB files yet since I had wanted to produce some carts myself, to recoup my development costs. Although I'm doing this for fun as a hobby project, it's nice to at least cover my costs, or even better - earn a bit of money to sink into my next hardware project :).

You can build the project yourself right now, with a ST32F407 Discovery board. I'm going to get some more PCBs made once I hear back from the various people that I've sent carts to for testing. I'll post here when they arrive, so get in touch then if you want a bare PCB or a built board?

Robin

#34 citrus3000psi OFFLINE  

citrus3000psi

Space Invader

• 41 posts

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:14 PM

I haven't released the PCB files yet since I had wanted to produce some carts myself, to recoup my development costs. Although I'm doing this for fun as a hobby project, it's nice to at least cover my costs, or even better - earn a bit of money to sink into my next hardware project :).

You can build the project yourself right now, with a ST32F407 Discovery board. I'm going to get some more PCBs made once I hear back from the various people that I've sent carts to for testing. I'll post here when they arrive, so get in touch then if you want a bare PCB or a built board?

Robin

100% agree with you.  That's how I handle a lot of my projects.    The discovery board is too clumsy for me.  So I'll wait.  I don't mind PCB assembly etc.  Great project BTW.

#35 DirtyHairy OFFLINE  

DirtyHairy

Moonsweeper

• 323 posts

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:23 PM

So the cartridge now plays 100% of the 2600's classic library (well, at least until someone testing tells me otherwise).

Excluding supercharger, if I am not mistaken. But I plan to take a stab at implementing this myself once I get my cartridge (unless you beat me to it) :)

#36 electrotrains OFFLINE  

electrotrains

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 277 posts

Posted Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:19 AM

Ah yes, sorry, forgot about supercharger. Would I need to add a audio jack to the PCB?

Robin

#37 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 22,967 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:25 AM

No, the ROMs have been dumped. So you only have to emulate them correctly.

#38 lguilherme OFFLINE  

lguilherme

Combat Commando

• 3 posts

Posted Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:55 AM

Hi

how could I help this project? Let me know.

#39 DirtyHairy OFFLINE  

DirtyHairy

Moonsweeper

• 323 posts

Posted Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:00 PM

My PCB has arrived. I have yet to do some more systematic testing of different ROM formats, but it has been working flawlessly so far.

Edited by DirtyHairy, Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:00 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2600, sd, card, multicart, stm32f4

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users