Photo

Most Diabolically Challenging Atari 2600 Games

13 replies to this topic

#1 Parrothead OFFLINE  

Parrothead

Stargunner

• 1,621 posts

Posted Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:35 AM

What are some diabolically challenging games on the Atari 2600?  For me, 3-D Tic Tac Toe was mind bendingly challenging.  I still can't wrap my brain around how to play this game.  I wonder if this Qubic game that I just found at Goodwill was Carol Shaw's inspiration for making 3D TTT on Atari?  This Qubic game pre-dated Carol's rendition by about 14 years.

Attached Thumbnails

• qubic.jpeg

#2 fiddlepaddle OFFLINE  

fiddlepaddle

River Patroller

• 2,382 posts

Posted Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:16 PM

I used to play Qubic when it was new...I bet it was inspirational, if not the model.

#3 Pac-Guy 26 OFFLINE  

Pac-Guy 26

Space Invader

• 46 posts
  • doo-DA-doo-GAH

Posted Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:16 PM

Ion Patrol.

#4 BassGuitari ONLINE  

BassGuitari

Launch Edition

• 6,222 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:01 PM

Gravitar can be pretty brutal IMO.

Space Invaders with invisible invaders and fast zig-zagging missiles is definitely for the L33Test of the L33T. Sprinkle some croutons onto that suck salad by going to the 2P versions where you alternate control mid-game!

Most of the time Adventure isn't too tough, but catch it on the wrong randomization(s), and the game is basically one big middle finger that immediately cornholes you with dragons the instant you head south from the Golden Castle. Double your pleasure by setting the Difficulty Switches to A.

#5 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 7,689 posts
  • Enjoying a sandwich

Posted Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:09 PM

I played Qubic as a kid - probably still have the set around somewhere.

Jr. Pac-Man is pretty-much the definition of diabolical.

#6 thegoldenband OFFLINE  

thegoldenband

Quadrunner

• 5,338 posts

Posted Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:20 PM

Beating Death Trap on Hard mode is a hair-pullingly frustrating (yet rewarding) experience. The closer you get to victory, the narrower your margins become.

#7 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 17,318 posts

Posted Sat Feb 3, 2018 3:00 PM

Spidermaze. It's brutal.

#8 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 14,795 posts

Posted Sat Feb 3, 2018 3:22 PM

2600 Jr. Pac frustrates so much, I've never found it to be much fun.

#9 davyK OFFLINE  

davyK

Moonsweeper

• 372 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 11:23 AM

Jr. Pacman is super tough - but I also find very entertaining. Different strokes. :)

Kaboom is a tough one though if you don't agree then try it with half sized buckets on diff A...

Edited by davyK, Wed Feb 7, 2018 11:25 AM.

#10 toiletunes OFFLINE  

toiletunes

River Patroller

• 3,478 posts
  • Hater Brigader

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 3:56 PM

Sea Hunt. If you never tried it, I challenge you to score any points.

#11 AW127 OFFLINE  

AW127

Moonsweeper

• 298 posts

Posted Fri Feb 9, 2018 3:33 PM

When i get my first Atari 2600 as a kid (in 1982), my friends and i always liked playing "Decathlon" against each other. Everybody wanted to beat the times, widths and heights of the others. This was really challenging playing against each other. I remember the 400-meter races when the hands and arms hurt and when some of my friends had blisters in their hands after playing for some hours, from jiggling on the controller.   :)

#12 BassGuitari ONLINE  

BassGuitari

Launch Edition

• 6,222 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:00 AM

Sea Hunt. If you never tried it, I challenge you to score any points.

How did I forget this little doozy? Although I'm not sure if sloppy, poorly-programmed, borderline broken games should count. :P (But FWIW, I *can* score points in this game. ;))

How about Racquetball? I get what Apollo was going for with the ball shadows and such, but it's confusing to the point of unplayable. Plus I'm pretty sure the hit detection was a little whacked anyway.

Or E.T.? The standard variation of E.T. just aggravates me. No, not because of the pits (*sigh*)--it's because those FBI and Science dicks constantly kidnap me and steal my shit! Yes, I know how the zones work. Nevertheless, completing the game just once takes a miracle for me. It's much more enjoyable (IMO) on the other game variations that remove one or both of the human enemies.

#13 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 8,467 posts

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:03 PM

I was going to say kaboom with the small buckets, but even with the big ones it quickly gets faster than I can handle. Entombed does this too, if you don't have the wall keys once it gets fast, its just luck if you choose the right path as the maze moves at the same speed you do. I'd also vote et cause the scientist steals your stuff if you don't give it to Elliot. Gravitar, don't remember the level, but that spiral planet I can't get by for the life of me, to thin path and the time. The UFO on cosmic ark usually does me in, I can usually steal at least one alien, but those asteroids get me.

#14 KaeruYojimbo OFFLINE  

KaeruYojimbo

Stargunner

• 1,497 posts

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:18 AM

Mine Dig

A Dig Dug meets minesweeper homebrew. Seems like wherever you go, there's a mine somewhere nearby.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users