IGNORED

Amiga 2000 strange keyboard issue

eightbit

Toward the end of the year I had gifted my original A2000 keyboard to someone in need of one (and someone who really deserved it) and I simply stuck with using an Amiga to PS/2 adapter that works fine along with an old PS/2 keyboard...and I was pretty much fine with that.

But recently a member here on AA decided to sell some things off and offered an A2000 keyboard to me for a fair price and I accepted...just to get the original keyboard back in the mix.

The keyboard arrived yesterday and is in good physical condition for the most part (casing somewhat yellowed, needed a cleaning, a little chip of plastic in one corner) and works fine EXCEPT for the caps lock key. The key lights up once when the machine is powered on like it normally would, but after that it is dead. Pushing on it does not light up the light and it does not work at all in workbench.

The odd thing is that EVERY other key works fine. I have tested the entire keyboard and they work like new. Nothing looks damaged or dirty. It is just the caps lock key that is not working. I know it is not a CIA issue with the Amiga as the previous keyboard caps worked fine and the capslock on the PS/2 keyboard in conjunction with my adapter works fine too.

Does anyone have any idea what the heck this could be? I mean I have had keyboards where a few keys did not work or it all did not work, but just this one key? Seems really odd to me.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated!

The power-on light is part of the self-check process of the keyboard. It may be the contacts beneath the key or something blocking them.

Case in point, and I have no idea how in the hell this happened, the HELP key on my 500 would not work, which I eventually decided was unacceptable as a unique Amiga key not to work. When I opened it up I found between the membrane and keys a piece of hole-punched paper. Just sitting there, held in place by a strong fu-force. WTF?!

Check this out.

I was able to fix it. Damaged trace. I wonder how the heck that happened, considering the board is in pristine condition. I suspect it was caused by the capslock LED light, which oddly (first time I ever worked on one of these) just SITS in an area under the board. It is not soldered to anything. But I did notice that the light seemed "off center" when I received this keyboard. After opening and discovering the issue, repairing and then reseating the LED properly it works like it is brand new. I suspect it somehow dislodged at one point and someone kept pressing down on the key causing the led leads to cause the break in the trace. Just odd.

But at the end of the day the entire keyboard is working like new. Just wish I knew it had an issue before purchasing...but I guess that is the nature of the beast :)

• Like 1