IGNORED

Would someone please make one of these for the the Atari 8-bit line?

gbennett0321

Yes shipping would be am major pain. But an empty 1450xls case, though big in size, would not be that heavy with today's plastics, or even with the 1088xel, or rasbberypi installed.

I would still want one.

There's probably room for two 1088XEL's inside that case. I wonder if they could somehow be interconnected and create a parallel OS/graphics capability ;) . Don't mind me, this is just the crazy talking :grin: .

• Like 1

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was simply trying to point out that this type of project is nothing special. The challenge for doing something like this on the Atari side is that you wouldn't be able to do this in the same high profile manner since the current Atari rights holders likely wouldn't license the name/branding and look and feel. Of course, the Atari 8-bit is also not as popular as the Commodore 64, so that's another factor, but certainly not the same type of challenge the other issues are.

No I understood what you were saying. My point is that anytime you get an emulation based solution like this new C64, the purists trash on it. I quite get the barriers in the way of actually making something like this for the XL line. I'm just saying that, if those could be overcome, it would be a good thing. These emulation consoles may not be perfect, but they have driven retro gaming into the mainstream, which keeps the consoles/games available for new fans

• Like 2

No I understood what you were saying. My point is that anytime you get an emulation based solution like this new C64, the purists trash on it. I quite get the barriers in the way of actually making something like this for the XL line. I'm just saying that, if those could be overcome, it would be a good thing. These emulation consoles may not be perfect, but they have driven retro gaming into the mainstream, which keeps the consoles/games available for new fans

I agree. The core community will bitch about anything and everything, which is to be expected. They're the most in-the-know audience. At the same time, yes, there's obviously a place - and specific audience - for many different types of these products.

I don't fault THE64 team anything. My own personal issue in this case is with lazy journalism stating the all-too-expected "The Commodore 64 is back!" etc., etc. I wish there was a nice middle ground here, where we could have products like this and it's understood better what they actually are. Licensed (as far as that can actually go) products that emulate the experience. I do understand though that it's easier for journalists and certain fans of this (who are not otherwise directly involved in retro communities) to grok that the Commodore 64 is back, rather than place some nuance on what it really is. I know I certainly experienced that first-hand trying to separate the messaging from the announcement of the Ataribox with the 2017 AtGames Atari products.

• Like 2

Eek...An Atari Mini...No thanks, well not unless you can plug a USB keyboard in and even then I'm not sure I'd want one..

For me its Emulation via the PC or the real thing, a box that has all but one use just feels like a waste, that's why even as cute as they are I'd not get a Snes Mini and I LOVED my snes (still got one). Plus there's too many hassles as others have said, who needs Atari in whatever guise they are now looking to rake in some cash or just stop it being made under copyright. I also doubt there's a big enough market to merit it, Atarians are a funny lot, they love their real hardware from the day, emulation gets a nod but its sort of the black sheep of the family for many which is daft but that is the way it is. For me the mini versions of consoles work better, its just lock and load where a computer mini tends to get funky if you are going to support outside media in its various formats and if you don't then its a purely personal choice as to what is a top game to include.

There's also the fact that here in the UK its C64 and Spectrum that are the mainly covered and remembered items, despite the number of UK users being good they are dwarfed by the 'what you had as a kid' brigade who would be the obvious audience to target.. That's not to say I think the idea is bad but its more of a niche market for a full size Atari replica amongst the communities as with the current 1088 or whatever its named, reasonable or good sales amongst the hobbyists but not a commercial concern.

I also doubt there's a big enough market to merit it, Atarians are a funny lot, they love their real hardware from the day, emulation gets a nod but its sort of the black sheep of the family for many which is daft but that is the way it is.

This mainly comes down to what the individual considers the true nostalgia of the system and love for the system. For some, the software is the most important thing, so a good emulator is good enough. For others, like me, it's about using the vintage hardware as much, if not more than the actual software, the human tactile feeling and feedback, (like when Captain Picard just had to touch the first warp-drive ship in Star Trek First Contact, and explain the feeling to Data) in which case emulation completely defeats the purpose of my hardware nostalgia and and love affair and fun tinkering with the real hardware. As does new hardware emulating old hardware.

Edited by Gunstar

A lot of it also has to do with age, as in how old something really is. I know for me seeing a piece of technology from 30-40 years ago in the flesh has a mystical feel to it, and then to see that it still operates is just icing on the cake. So 40 years from now after I'm long gone someone will come across a 1088XEL and hopefully have this same almost mystical experience. Or perhaps not :-D .

• Like 2

I've got to say that I don't quite understand the appeal of these "mini" machines. I am a big fan and regular user of emulation, so it's not that. Or, maybe more to the point, it *is* that. If I'm going to use an emulator, why would I want a dedicated device that takes up precious shelf-space and television inputs? Why wouldn't I just want to use the very good emulators on my PC? I guess that these "mini" systems are cute and all but they ultimately just seem like a waste of both money and space to me.