IGNORED

Double Dragon for Atari 2600

Jacro017

It's absolutely amazing how they transcended the console's limitations to even get this game done. It was one of my favorites back in the day and I never knew it came out for the 2600 either.

That said, it suffers from poor sprites (surprisingly for an Activision title) and punishingly hard game play. Unless you are a collector, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the original.

Look into having Al make you up one of KevinMos3's Arcade-style hacked versions. About the same price and you'll end up with a much better looking and better playing game. Even Kevin's labels are awesome.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/154984-hack-project-thread-galaxian-arcade-double-dragon-xenophobe-etc/

• Like 3

It's absolutely amazing how they transcended the console's limitations to even get this game done. It was one of my favorites back in the day and I never knew it came out for the 2600 either.

That said, it suffers from poor sprites (surprisingly for an Activision title) and punishingly hard game play. Unless you are a collector, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the original.

Look into having Al make you up one of KevinMos3's Arcade-style hacked versions. About the same price and you'll end up with a much better looking and better playing game. Even Kevin's labels are awesome.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/154984-hack-project-thread-galaxian-arcade-double-dragon-xenophobe-etc/

I will keep that in mind....!!

Don't get me wrong I still want it in my collection but I can't justify the price for how crappy it is.

At one time, I thought the same. About 2yrs ago, I decided to unload games I would never really play and let others store them, lol.

Man that version looks awesome. Going to play it now!

• Like 1

considering the game is a port that still resembles double dragon on console hardware from 10 years earlier I'd say it is an amazing accomplishment.

frankly if the player had just slightly longer reach (I mean literally 1 pixel) then the game difficulty becomes fair shame that is impossible on the 2600 though I guess the enemies not attacking as soon as possible or having a longer hit stun would also fix it

• Like 1

considering the game is a port that still resembles double dragon on console hardware from 10 years earlier I'd say it is an amazing accomplishment.

frankly if the player had just slightly longer reach (I mean literally 1 pixel) then the game difficulty becomes fair shame that is impossible on the 2600 though I guess the enemies not attacking as soon as possible or having a longer hit stun would also fix it

Pacman also resembled the arcade game....

I think it is an amazing technical feat, but the gameplay is waaaay too hard - I feel like I wanna hack it in order to make it more playable. I think someone above in the thread said someone already has...

I vaguely remember that. Or Im thinking of the 7800 version.

• Like 1

I feel like it's a collision problem... I can disassemble it and have a look at the code...

Maybe I can save you some time. There is a disassembly in the RC3 zip file pack in my hack thread (but the binaries are not the latest, which is RC4d). I'll see if I have an unmodified disassembly on this hard drive.

I talked about it with Nukey Shay years ago. There are 2 things I would like to change about the game:

1) Give enemies a slight delay before they can attack.
2) Lower the volume of the music.

Its been a while, so I don't remember exactly what he said, but as for 1, he said the game logic of the enemies was tied to the player and didn't know if enough RAM could be freed up to give them their own timing... (again, not a quote).
For 2, I looked over the sound code quite a bit and couldn't figure out how to lower the volume. I could get it to lower the octave, (but not to anything that sounded decent), but just didn't understand it well enough to lower the volume of the music.

If these 2 things could be done, I think it would be more enjoyable to more people. Having said that, I think the game is already too easy, but it takes practice with your technique and most people just want to be able to punch/kick their way through. It actually plays much like the arcade, although it doesn't "feel" like it and this is what I think an added enemy delay might help with.
As it is, you need to keep moving out of (above or below) the enemy's attack range. They will move up/down to chase you rather than attack (even though they could hit you). Take advantage of this to kick/punch them all you want. You don't even have to use the elbow smash. Of course, mastering that move will make the game super quick and easy. The arcade behaves the same way (with making the enemies move up/down to get to you.
A few years ago, I wanted to make a video demonstrating this and also submit for the world record at twin galaxies, but never got around to doing it. Right now, I have no way to capture video, so no more videos for now.

Edit: forgot to mention. A few days ago I started another sprite edit. I kinda missed the original look, so I'm adding the sprite updates, but keeping the overall colors of the characters and not touching the levels. I thought it would be a nice throwback and maybe look more "Activision-ish." :)

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 4

Maybe I can save you some time. There is a disassembly in the RC3 zip file pack in my hack thread (but the binaries are not the latest, which is RC4d). I'll see if I have an unmodified disassembly on this hard drive.

I talked about it with Nukey Shay years ago. There are 2 things I would like to change about the game:

1) Give enemies a slight delay before they can attack.

2) Lower the volume of the music.

Its been a while, so I don't remember exactly what he said, but as for 1, he said the game logic of the enemies was tied to the player and didn't know if enough RAM could be freed up to give them their own timing... (again, not a quote).

For 2, I looked over the sound code quite a bit and couldn't figure out how to lower the volume. I could get it to lower the octave, (but not to anything that sounded decent), but just didn't understand it well enough to lower the volume of the music.

I love your arcade hack; it breathes new life into one of my favourite 2600 games. I got 3 green guys in the last screen before I died, most of the time I was distracted by the new graphics. I love how they even have their mouth open when they get hit. The collision detection seems to match the original; I didn't have to adjust the way I play much.

If I can offer some suggestions:

a) for some folks an extra life at some score level (50k and 100k) would make the game "easier"

b) there seems to be some additional damage that the first enemies that show up in the screen can endure before they take their first fall. That's especially noticeable with Linda who need two jump kicks for the first knock-down, and then just one kick there after. This could be just an odd alignment between the damage counter and the impact of your attack

Some screens bring in a new enemy in the same section, rather than having single enemy onwards. That might be a variation for a two-player vs one-player game. Not sure if that would be something to fix as it adds to its charm I suppose.

Phenomenal effort. I've played it like 6 times over the weekend which is rare considering how little time I have as of late.

If I could get the Atari custom cart with an Activision case I'd totally order it, especially since you created the awesome labels.

• Like 1

I can't shake this feeling that we're witnessing the beginnings of some revisionist history here. ha

This game has always sucked IMO, but seems like it might deserve a little more credit than it gets and am tempted to give it the ol' college try after all these years. Nah, screw that. I'll just play Kevin's 7800 hack instead. :lol:

• Like 1