IGNORED

Season 7 ~ Week 4 ~ Beamrider

Vocelli

As I write this, my two teenage sons are listening to "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" while eating dinner. That gives you an idea where my life is at the moment!

Cool, I love to hear about young folks listening to good old stuff like that. "Astronomy Domine" still one of my favorite songs.

Similar to hearing my friends tell me their boy loves the NES more than the Xbox 360

Edited by S.BAZ

post-34560-0-66212400-1517982478.png

2nd attempt today, 3rd day playing, good improvement this week but still not caught up to mypersonal best.

attachicon.gifBeamrider (1984) (Activision)_3.png

In the zone, out of the zone. In the zone, out of the zone. Fine line. Great game ...

That picture looks amazing, like Activision made an awesome version for some obscure handheld

Edited by S.BAZ

About time I dipped my virgin toe into the 2600 HSC AA-pond, instead of just admiring with popcorn! :P Plus .. a gr8 kick-in-the-pants to sit in front of the 'Vadar' with a beer more often!

Keyboard mashing on Stella. :( :thumbsdown: Don't have the Beamrider cart. Gr8 game. Straight onto the Want List :)

post-52250-0-81861300-1518029767.png

Edited by spriggamortis

Bonus points, RealSports Football vs. Team Atari: 99 - 0 (2:22 remaining)

post-2641-0-40434700-1518043357.png

This is kind of ridiculous once you figure it out. It took me three short practice games to get this score, and I had never played it before.

Offensive tip:

I always choose Short Pass Left for the play (move the joystick down and left). Move your quarterback upwards and quickly toss the pass. Then run. You'll gain anywhere from 5 - 30 yards. This works 75% of the time. The rest of the time, you'll get sacked. After the catch, if you run vertically down the screen a little, you can tie up the pursuer in one of your offensive linemen briefly to gain some more yards. If you get a fourth down, always kick to gain field position (or a field goal).

Defensive tip:

Always blitz. Your defensive line will usually nail the quarterback. If he's going to pass you'll see the receiver break out of the pack. Just position yourself between the quarterback and the receiver, nearer to the receiver. The QB just sits there like an idiot, waiting for a clear throw, so this is really, really easy. According to the instructions: the game can not throw over other players. You'll break up or intercept the pass better than 90% if the time. If they do connect, it's usually only for 5 yards, and then you're right on top of the receiver anyway for an easy tackle. Sometimes, they're stupid enough to pass on fourth down, which gives you an easy turnover and a quick shot at a goal since they'll probably still be on their own 20 yard line.

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 2

gallery_26868_2115_1093.png

My average score is moving up at a nice pace. I would love to get 100k before the end of the week.

Am I remembering playing this game in HSC before, and getting bonuses for earning the patch? Last time I played this game I was a mile off of that. Really thought I would get there on that run. Not far now.

Thanks for making me hip to the new release, I'll snag that on the quick. Funny, screenshots used to look normal in 4.6.1 before, nuthin wrong with an update. I'm just happy to have such an authentic emulation readily available. With my joystick-usb adapter I can almost forget I'm not playing on native hardware :)

I notice you're using Stella 4.6.1 on this ROM, which is taking incorrect snapshots. Please try the latest release; the snapshot bug has been fixed.

99-0 with 10:39 remaining!

post-9712-0-30462700-1518121803_thumb.png

I've been asked to provide my tips for beating the computer. Here's how I do it;

On offense, I use the long pass option every time by selecting down/right or down/left. Then it's just timing your throw to catch the ball. Once caught, I line my runner up with the center of the field. The defender, now chasing me down, will usually get caught up by my blocker, allowing me to gain extra yards.

On defense, I push right every time on the stick. If he runs, I just meet up with him and tackle him for a loss. If he's passing, I do not go in for the quick tackle. I get in his pass line. When he finally passes, I'll either block the pass, or intercept, giving me a short field.

That's it. Once you get it down, you'll cream the computer in no time. :)

Edited by Deteacher