IGNORED

No 3DS/2DS directory ?

thetick1

Why no 3DS/2DS directory at this forum? The DSi can now be called reto now that the newest 3DS XL games do not play on the DSi.

Anyway I just got my son the Pikachu 2DS XL.

461137-h1.jpg

I was able to order a new Yo-Kai Watch 2 game on clearance for $14 (digital download is still $39.99 WTF?). Should be able to get lots of cheap Pokeman Yo-Kai games over the next couple of months!

Interesting, you are suggesting we grade items as "retro" based on the curve of technological advancement? You are positing a day when "retro" is anything you purchased before midnight last night? Awesome Sci-Fi conjecture!

I think we should begin to reclassify by eras, therein not everything older than a decade is from the Renaissance era. We could have a golden age of pioneers in gaming, say pre-xBox/PS2.

No matter how you slice it, though, DSI and its wacky "SD" cards is really not "retro"

• Like 1

Handheld wise, dsi is only last gen. I mean n3ds isn't really a totally new console over 3ds is it?

Nope. And DSi wasn't functionally different than the original DS. I wouldn't call anything under the "DS" umbrella Retro. Similarly, I wouldn't have called an original Gameboy "Retro" in 1999. Same concept.

I wouldn't call DSi "retro." It's just another DS that had a lousy online store and couldn't play GameBoy games. It's just "obsolete," which is not the same thing as "retro."

The Switch doesn't play 3DS games, that doesn't make the 3DS "retro" either. This is the first big break in backwards compatibility for Nintendo since the GameCube ... and even that could play GameBoy, GameBoy Color, and GameBoy Advance games (with an attachment).

Subforums aren't necessarily a positive thing in my opinion--I'm not sure why people want more of them. They may be a grand place place to talk about a specific system, but they also hide information away from more casual users. I miss the days when news of upcoming vectrex and genesis games could be found directly in classic gaming. I go into their subforums maybe once a year. Homebrews have started sneaking up on me.

If there isn't enough 3DS-love to form a strong community, then few here will wander into that 3DS subforum to fuel its threads. On the other hand, if 'modern gaming' suddenly starts filling with so much 3DS-discussion it's hard to talk about anything else, then maybe it needs its own place. I'm a little surprised a sub-forum wasn't used to hide away the coleco chameleon talk, for example.

Personally, if there's a short-fused super deal on 3ds games somewhere, I'd rather see it that day in the main modern gaming forum, than properly organized into a dark hole I'll visit about 3 years too late.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

Maybe a handhelds forum in general that covers them all, old or current? Vita, PSP, Gameboy, Game Gear, 3DS, etc?

What about the Switch? That's a little of both.

I think retro games are retro ... it mattered what you played them on.

Modern games are often cross-platform, and there's bleed between mobile and consoles and PC these days, too.

I'm not seeing a need for yet another subforum either. It's not like there's a ton of discussion of 3DS games. An empty room with a "handhelds here" sign on the door wouldn't change that.

• Like 3

There's already too much overspecialization in the modern gaming forum as it is. If we're to continue sub-dividing the conversations here, I instead believe that generic Nintendo, Playstation, and Xbox sub-forums would work best.

Such a layout would provide an obvious place for the limited 3DS discussion around here for example. Or look at the PS3 forum where there's been one active thread in 2018 so far. How could that not co-exist without issue alongside PS4 discussion, with the odd PSP or Vita topic tossed into the mix from time to time? More eyes would see PS3 related topics while PS4 discussion would hardly be drowned out.

It would perhaps be different if these sub-forums were brimming with traffic. Instead, it seems clear that they're hindering discussion rather than benefiting it by better organizing it all. Interesting topics happen, but tend to slip by unnoticed since attention is focused on the general area that's meant for discussion that doesn't fit in one of the sub-forums.

I think it's fair to suggest that these sub-forums aren't busy enough to make it worth jumping into all six every time one views the modern gaming forum here. So in my opinion it's time to streamline the setup rather than add to it.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Damn rough crowd here as I should have realized such considering how little 3DS chat is here. There are plenty of 3DS sites forums elseware.

Anyway I always thought anything older than 10 years and obsolete was considered retro. I tend to think this is true for the average 20 year old regardless of generation.

• Like 1

Well there's DS chat here at least. :) Along with Gameboy & GBA.

Kinda funny as I always felt the DSi was pretty much indistinguishable from the regular DS/DS-Lite as far as core functions went. You turned it on and popped in DS games. I guess it did have a nicer screen.

Don't mistake my opinion on the sub-forum situation around here as reflecting my opinion of the 3DS. I think it's a great handheld and I look forward to getting a lot more use out of it in the years ahead as I continue to add games to my collection. I'm about to start Super Mario 3D Land here in a few days, for instance.

A sub-forum should be based on forum traffic. It's not as if AtariAge is robbing the system of its birthright by not providing a specific area dedicated to discussion about it. There just isn't a heck of a lot of discussion specific to it here. Moving it off to a sub-forum would not only create a new sub-forum with limited traffic, but would actually hinder 3DS discussion rather than promote it.

That's why I see value in streamlining the system. It would still provide dedicated space for topics specific to a Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft platform. It just wouldn't be spread across six different sub-forums, nor would discussion on something like the 3DS be excluded.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

I'd have to agree the setup now isn't ideal with randomly picked 'hi score' sub forums for most and a few not. Perhaps just have one high score sub forum, and then a basic Nintendo, Sony and MS under modern (active system on market) and classic (all past generations) and stuff that's dead or B-team stuff 'retro' from NEC to SNK to Sega etc just falls into the general non-subforum bucket. That would steamline things into less areas for a better likelihood to get some posts consistently.

• Like 1