Photo

Killer Heads of Lettuce (Channel F)

8 replies to this topic

#1 atari2600land ONLINE  

atari2600land

Channel F Viewer

• 11,015 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 2:56 PM

I'm making a second game for the Channel F called "Killer Heads of Lettuce." It's sort of like a cross between Asteroids and Space Jockey. In the game, you shoot heads of lettuce in your spaceship. You can move the spaceship up and down, and I made a variable for lettuce speed and it seems to be working okay now. It's set to 1, but if I set it to 2, it goes faster. The object of the game is to keep the lettuce from reaching the far right of the screen. I'm still working on this game. You can shoot with the fire button, but the missiles can't shoot the lettuce because I haven't gotten that far yet. So, what do you think?

chan0006.png

Attached Files

#2 MemberAtarian OFFLINE  

MemberAtarian

Star Raider

• 68 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 4:04 PM

I don't have any multicart for my Channel F, can you post a video about it?

#3 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 5,737 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 4:25 PM

As far as I know, there is so far no cartridge that lets you load own ROMs. The multicart is great, but preprogrammed so emulation would be the primary way to test.

#4 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 5,737 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 5:22 PM

Anyway, it is a good start. Will the lettuce blast into smaller pieces once the shooting is implemented, or be eliminated in its entirety? I wonder about the possibility of scrolling landscape with varying height, but then again you might need to find a way to detect on screen graphics that seemingly doesn't exist, or at least is not so easy to obtain. If you place the spaceship in the middle of the screen, you could allow it to change direction with some inertia like Defender. Hey, why not have little .. uh, cherry-men on the ground which you try to protect from the lettuce without killing the cherries, so it actually becomes a Defender inspired game?

#5 atari2600land ONLINE  

atari2600land

Channel F Viewer

• Topic Starter
  • 11,015 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 4:04 AM

I was planning on making the lettuce be fully eliminated but then having a new one pop into place once that happened. I also have some code into place to speed up the lettuce, I just have to put code in to make it happen, which will be done at some point. I could do a video of what I have so far, but it would be of emulation, like the Kevin Vs. Tomatoes video I made.

#6 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 5,737 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 4:45 AM

Sounds good. Consider ways to avoid the game getting too repetitive. For example the various waves in TSGWP added a lot to that game. Lettuce might appear at different speeds, different attack waves if possible. Perhaps lettuce that escapes to the right would consume part of the ground, until there is no land left? It would be fairly easy to keep track of how many lettuce have passed by and accordingly draw less land.

#7 atari2600land ONLINE  

atari2600land

Channel F Viewer

• Topic Starter
  • 11,015 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 12:33 PM

I am busy adding some stuff to the game. For example, I added a way to make the lettuce heads move in a sinus wave. A variable determines whether it does or just moves in a straight line. The only trouble with this approach is that if the lettuce isn't shot and the player stands still, all it does is just go back and forth between sinus wave and straight. But what's the fun in that? And you're not supposed to do that anyway. I was going to have one life anyway (It would be easier to program.)

#8 TPR OFFLINE  

TPR

Stargunner

• 1,775 posts

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:31 AM

Yay!  More love for the Fairchild! 

#9 atari2600land ONLINE  

atari2600land

Channel F Viewer

• Topic Starter
  • 11,015 posts

Posted Today, 3:52 PM