IGNORED

One last appeal to our Programmers...Golf Hack?

StephenJ

I couldn't help trying, just one more time, to appeal to our talented 2600 programmers to consider putting some effort into improving the humble 2600 Golf game.

As I mentioned previously, although I like the game...there's so much room for improvement. It's like a blank canvas for our programming artists...how's that for schmoozin'!
Here are some enhancements I would like to see:
1. Increase the hole count to [18], with the option to play the front or back [9], or the entire course.
2. Have multiple players alternate on each hole, rather than having one player complete the entire hole before the next player is up. Since there would be more than one ball on the playing field at one time, each would have to be a different color that corresponds with the golfer's color.
3. Increase the maximum number of players to [4]. The most fun I ever had, playing retro golf games, was when myself and three of my friends would play Intellivision Golf...lots of cheering, whining and trash talk during those sessions.
4. How about the option for randomly placed bunkers, trees, water, green? That would be very cool.
How bout it??
All the best,
StephenJ

It's an interesting idea but I've enough on my plate that I'm not looking for new projects to take on, so I didn't respond.

I think that's the issue. It's a substantial enough hack that it would require actual effort, and most folks are busy chasing their own dream ideas. You could always learn 6502 and try it yourself! ;)

• Like 1

"... It's a substantial enough hack that it would require actual effort..."

I was hoping that maybe one (or more) of the suggestions would be on the easier side...like #2. (Have multiple players alternate on each hole).

But obviously that's just not the case...bummer.

Had to give it a try.

"...You could always learn 6502 and try it yourself!..."

I took a evening class in programming. I learned that I would never be a programmer.

Thanks for joining the thread,

Stephen

Edited by StephenJ

"...You could always learn 6502 and try it yourself!..."

I took a evening class in programming. I learned that I would never be a programmer.

Never say never. It takes time and effort to learn programming(or anything really[it took me time to learn how to ride a bike.]). If you're really interested, I would go into more classes to get you started. On your own, I suggest start with BASIC programming(Batari, IntyBASIC), then work your way up to 6502. I started on the TI-83, using the programming section of the TI-83 book. Then went to work on Colecovision writting game using C. Then discovered Petit Computer for the Nintendo DS and made my first action game, then went back on Colecovision to make action game using what I learned in Petit Computer. Then took on IntyBASIC. And then managed to get a hang off making an Atari 2600 mini game in ASM using 8bitworkshop. If you want to skip all that that I mention 8bitworkshop, I would look into www.8bitworkshop.com which have bunch of programming sample and a book for you to buy and read. Also, there's spiceware Collect tutorial you can read.

And Atari Golf kernel is limited to 1 double wide object on a horizontal line(Up to 4 objects I can see), 1 player, 1 ball on mirrored playfield, HMOVE on every line since the left side is completely black vertical(I think). I think making this game from the ground up would be better.

Never say never. It takes time and effort to learn programming(or anything really[it took me time to learn how to ride a bike.]). If you're really interested, I would go into more classes to get you started. On your own, I suggest start with BASIC programming(Batari, IntyBASIC), then work your way up to 6502. I started on the TI-83, using the programming section of the TI-83 book. Then went to work on Colecovision writting game using C. Then discovered Petit Computer for the Nintendo DS and made my first action game, then went back on Colecovision to make action game using what I learned in Petit Computer. Then took on IntyBASIC. And then managed to get a hang off making an Atari 2600 mini game in ASM using 8bitworkshop. If you want to skip all that that I mention 8bitworkshop, I would look into www.8bitworkshop.com which have bunch of programming sample and a book for you to buy and read. Also, there's spiceware Collect tutorial you can read.

And Atari Golf kernel is limited to 1 double wide object on a horizontal line(Up to 4 objects I can see), 1 player, 1 ball on mirrored playfield, HMOVE on every line since the left side is completely black vertical(I think). I think making this game from the ground up would be better.

Hi KIWI,

I appreciate the encouragement and the advice regarding programming...but I learned along time ago that programming just isn't for me...but I do like the retro games. So, I'm glad there are programming folks like yourself.

"...Atari Golf kernel is limited to 1 double wide object on a horizontal line(Up to 4 objects I can see), 1 player, 1 ball..."

Is it possible to display only the player that's up, and then alternate until all players have finished the hole? Just a thought.

Thanks for joining in the thread!

StephenJ

• 2 weeks later...

Not that shouting out random ideas is all that helpful, but I wonder if something like iOS Desert Golfing would be interesting - 2D side view...

(or to get hyper ambitious Space Golf the homebrew for the C=64)

kisrael,

The reason I started this thread was to hopefully get the AA programmers to improve the Atari 2600 Golf game...not to find a similar or better golf game.

Thanks for joining in,

Stephen