Weird issue with one ColecoVision and Atarimax CVUltimate SD cart scrolling

3 replies to this topic

#1 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

Stargunner

• 1,179 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 10:14 PM

Hi,

Anybody ever have an issue where their AtariMax CV Ultimate SD Cart menu scrolls endlessly and doesn't allow button press selection in one console but not in another. If you stick in a standard cart it plays fine. The Ultimate Cart works perfectly in my other console.  I've cleaned the cart edge and Cart edge interface with IPA and swapped out controllers in case the UC is just picky. Any ideas? Thanks!

So, 1 hour later: 

I found with the Cosmic Avenger cartridge, that with no controller in one or the other port, player 1 goes straight down into the ground with no controller while player 2 flies straight with no controller. Funny that it works right with a controller in the player 1 port. Although I notice some temporary player 1 graphical artifacts that go away with player two and then don't come back with player one. Controller I/O chip or just a 9-pin connector?

#2 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 5,855 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 8:16 PM

Sounds like one or both of the controller port IC chips on the motherboard are bad and need to be replaced. They will need to be desoldered, a socket put in place and then new IC chip(s) placed into the socket(s).

#3 grips03 OFFLINE  

grips03

River Patroller

• 3,515 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 11:04 PM

Yes, controller ICs.  Console5.com sells a repair kit.

#4 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,179 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 6:07 PM

Okay, sounds like a good place to start.  Thanks guys! And it's nice to know it is still easy to get the main repair parts for these relatively cheap. I see they have a decent Wiki, too!

https://console5.com/wiki/Colecovision

Sounds like one or both of the controller port IC chips on the motherboard are bad and need to be replaced. They will need to be desoldered, a socket put in place and then new IC chip(s) placed into the socket(s).

Yes, controller ICs.  Console5.com sells a repair kit.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users