Photo

User Group Libraries

24 replies to this topic

#1 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 8,808 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 11:58 PM

This will be a thread to post interesting bits of TI History from old User Group disks.  I'll start it off with a game called "Asteroids" from CHI0001.DSK.  This is an Extended BASIC listing.

ZpMO89S.png

Code listing below:

Spoiler

Edited by Opry99er, Wed Feb 7, 2018 12:01 AM.

#2 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,808 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 12:13 AM

This game is called "County Fair" and it was written by John Gunter.  Nice, simple TI console BASIC horse racing game.  Nowhere near as featured or beautiful as "Doncaster Racecourse" by Retrospect... but a nice pre-cursor to that game from a few decades ago.

LKYLiR6.png

Spoiler

#3 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,808 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 12:31 AM

A seemingly simple game of strategy and chance... I am wondering if it's really all that "chancy" though... it seems the closer you get to victory, the smarter the Aardvark gets.

Anyway, this game is called "Aardvark" off the Chicago User Group disk 001 again.  This will be my last listing from that disk.  It's a pretty interesting game, and nicely coded (as you'll see in the listing)

clA2jWa.png

Spoiler

#4 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,301 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 7:25 AM

OMG - Thank you so much for doing this...

#5 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,808 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 10:01 AM

This is a semi-okay Golf game... The reason I'm posting it is the code.  It's pretty interesting to see how this guy accomplished this Golf game.  Enjoy!  

Golf:  From Chicago User Group Disk #9

AwUwmdK.png

Spoiler

Edited by Opry99er, Wed Feb 7, 2018 10:02 AM.

#6 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

오메가

• 11,148 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 10:09 AM

Oh yeah!  This can be one totally AWESOME thread!  I'll be visiting often to see how it evolves.

Your first post brings back many memories for me.  This was the exact game I was hunting for a while back for nostalgia purposes and it turned out to be right in front of me the whole time in Vorticons Gamebase, which is on the Fest West 2017 CD.

There a tons of cool XB programs out there, I'm glad you are taking the time to cherry pick the cream of the crop.  Who knows, some of these old programs may be worthy enough for compiling and turning into FR99/FG99 format, like the first program in this thread.  It's a little slow in spots so compiling (if possible) would make this program even more enjoyable.

** Edited additions in purple **

Edited by --- Ω ---, Wed Feb 7, 2018 11:59 AM.

#7 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,808 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 11:42 AM

This one's a bit primitive, but it is very interesting, nonetheless... it is a functional game and it can be a bit of fun with a little imagination.

This is off the CTIUG Library Disk #39

SGnMxYR.png

Spoiler

#8 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,808 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 12:22 AM

This is a program from the Boston Computer Society's library disk #23.  It is not a game... rather a very cool utility written by none other than Jim Peterson!

It randomly generates symetrical characters and prints the hex code for them at the bottom of the screen.  You can change the foreground, background, and screen colors.  If you like a character, press the "H" button and it will hold tight so you can write down the hex code.  It works in BASIC or Extended BASIC, but using XB, it utilizes a SPRITE for a magnified view.

Very neat program, and designed by a TI legend.  

wRhKoG1.png

Spoiler

#9 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,808 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 12:42 AM

I have to say, I have found one of the more fascinating math games I've ever played on the TI.  This is a game called "Fireball", and it comes off the Lima UG Library, Disk #1.  It is obvious that this was once a BASIC game that has been converted to an XB game (by adding SPRITEs), but could easily be converted back, if one wanted to.  I also believe it was converted from another BASIC because of the standard usage of the (in TI programming) superfluous "LET" statement. 

Anyway, I found myself playing to see how high I could get my score... and this is a math-reflex game!  I will definitely have my kids play this one, as part of their homeschooling.  

When it really boils down to it, it's a math game... so, not a life-changing gaming experience... but it is very well executed, and I believe it is worthy of seeing the light of day.

p588ktL.png

oWnLKxE.png

Spoiler

Edited by Opry99er, Thu Feb 8, 2018 12:45 AM.

#10 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,808 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 12:51 AM

So, I have to admit here that I have a soft spot in my heart for console BASIC arcade-style games.  This is basically a PRINT slalom game written by the late, great Gene Hitz (from my neck of the woods).  This program can be found in the Lima UG library disk #1.  I actually REEEEALLY like this game for its simplicity and replay value.  Controls are arrows left and right (for obvious reasons) and the space bar (for going straight).  

Please enjoy!

ZINUzeq.png

Spoiler

Edited by Opry99er, Thu Feb 8, 2018 12:52 AM.

#11 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,808 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:00 AM

This one really made me smile...  It is not a game, it is not a utility... it is just, well.... "FISHIN'", a BASIC program off the Lima UG library Disk #3.  This is now my desktop background. 

I wish I knew who programmed it.  :)

EdiM961.png

Spoiler

#12 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,808 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:20 AM

Actually, this is pretty cool for BASIC.  It is a graphics and sound demo from D.R. Koerner (Port Richey, FL).  Looks like he was working on a full game but never quite got there.  It has a nice pseudo-vector laser beam and a pretty cool playscreen.  I would like to see someone finish this one up.  :)  I'd play it!

ko3m23T.png

Spoiler

#13 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,808 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:51 AM

I'm a sucker for well-done console BASIC music... and the Godfather.  This program has both!!!

From the LIMA UG library Disk #26

Xbb7lBI.png

Spoiler

Edited by Opry99er, Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:58 AM.

#14 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

오메가

• 11,148 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:51 AM

I'm a sucker for well-done console BASIC music... and the Godfather.  This program has both!!!

Oh wow... I had this one early in my TI experience.  Back then it was 'new', 'cool' and 'exciting' for a computer to be  making music. Nowadays we are used to it and take so much for granted.  If you ever find the Metallica Sandman one, I'll be ecstatic.

#15 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 833 posts
  • Status? I don't need no stinkin' status!

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:57 AM

Good move on this topic Opry. Truckers Domain is actually a great deal of fun. It's nice to have kick ass graphics, sounds and music but when you boil it all the way down the game plays the thing. 

#16 eebuckeye OFFLINE  

eebuckeye

Stargunner

• 1,007 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:59 PM

This topic is great especially with JS99er!

#17 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,808 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 8:58 PM

Glad you like! I will try to post updates every day or two if I can. There is no shortage of great User Group library disks... and I really really love slugging through them. :)

#18 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,808 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 11:13 PM

Alright, so this one is very simple... but it is extremely difficult.  I've found that you have to look at the game screen as two sets of vehicles... the top set and the bottom set.  At some point, the 7 bottom cars will all be in fairly close proximity to one another (and the same goes for the top set)... when that happens, run like hell.

My best score was 4, but I didn't capture that.  My second run through I got 3... Wasn't able to do any better.  Play it if you want... I think I'm done with this one.  :)  It comes off the LIMA UG library Disk #27, and it is entitled "Chicken".

MDx5JAl.png

Spoiler

#19 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,808 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 11:31 PM

I found one I absolutely LOVE!!!  This is a demo entitled "LUNCH."  The code has it credited to Pat Saturn of the Houston User Group, although it can be found on the LIMA UG library Disk #27.  This was programmed in August of 1984.  The code is unbelievably dense and well-thought-out.  I admire this programmer!!!

You just have to run it... but it is basically a "Munchman" eating all the competition for "Lunch".... Turn up the sound, and enjoy the carnage.  :)

uUXInOO.png

XgOJG66.png

Spoiler

#20 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,808 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 11:55 PM

And so, this is not a program at all... rather a very interesting letter stored on diskette from the venerable Charles Good.  This can be found in the LIMA UG library Disk #38.  I remember hearing about this issue a long time ago, but perhaps others could lend some additional information to this thread to give some historical perspective.  

December 15, 1986.

P.O. Box 647
                                                   Venedocia OH 45894
                                                   419-667-3131

Edward C. Baumgarten Jr..
     Supervisor, Management Operations Support Center.
     Office of the Regional Chief Inspector.
     U.S. Postal Service.
     San Bruno CA  94098-0100.
     Dear Mr. Baumgarten,.
         Thank you for your interest in my complaint against Home Computing
     Journal.  On Oct 31, 1986 you wrote me asking that I let you know if
     the matter has not been resolved in 45 days.  It is now 45 days,  and
     I have not heard anything from Home Computing Journal.  Please note
     that in your letter to me dated Oct. 31 you give the address of Home
     Computing Journal as P.O. Box 70703, Eugene OR.  The most recent
     address that I have, as stated in my original complaint to you dated
     September 11, 1986, is P.O. Box 70248 Eugene OR 97401..
         I am also informed that the name of the company which publishes
     Home Computing Journal may be COMMUNICATION TRANSFER and not Computer
     Technology Publishing as stated in my original complaint.  .
         Please continue to take whatever action you can on my behalf and
     on behalf of the thousands of other subscribers to  Home Computer
     Magazine who did not get what they paid for.  A copy of my original
     complaint is attached for your information.       .
                                      Sincerely,.
                                      Charles W. Good

#21 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,808 posts

Posted Fri Feb 9, 2018 11:17 AM

The kid in me fell in love with this program.  :)  Not only is it well done, but it has just the right amount of "nerd" in it to make me happy.  I showed this to my son, and he really enjoyed it too.  It was done by a 99er in Australia named Ken Williams.  It's not a super-advanced mathematical treatise on solar dynamics, but it serves a purpose, and is pretty stinkin' cool.

2trKj0j.png

Spoiler

#22 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

오메가

• 11,148 posts

Posted Fri Feb 9, 2018 11:51 AM

I like it!  I noticed it's in Extended BASIC and not the usual TI BASIC.

The first time I tried to paste it into Classic 99 it had errors, so I looked at the code, which I should have done the first time. 

When I have more time I'll run through the program more slowly and see if it's up-to-date.  Considering the time it was written, I think Pluto was still considered a planet

Sadly I have to quit playing (for now) and get moving.  

gallery_35324_1027_575026.gif

#23 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,808 posts

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:23 PM

XB is generally "sluggish" feeling on arcade-style games... This one isn't much different, but it is really cute and really fun!  A decent DK clone in XB called "Koala", written by a gentleman named Mark Smetana from Andover, New Jersey.  This one comes courtesy of the CTIUG User group Library Disk #38.

DytpsUU.png

Spoiler

#24 ti99iuc OFFLINE  

ti99iuc

Stargunner

• 1,279 posts

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:49 AM

A decent DK clone in XB called "Koala", written by a gentleman named Mark Smetana from Andover, New Jersey.  This one comes courtesy of the CTIUG User group Library Disk #38.

Here in Italy, in 1984 was published a magazine containing this cool game, named "Crazy Koala"

On issue n.2
http://www.ti99iuc.it/web/go?8W9UR7

Attached File  Screenshot_20180211-104711_01.png   2.65MB   1 downloads

Edited by ti99iuc, Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:02 AM.

#25 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,808 posts

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:57 AM

Awesome!!! Thank you for sharing, Ciro!!!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users