800XL Audio volume

800XL

5 replies to this topic

#1 hueyjones70 OFFLINE  

hueyjones70

Chopper Commander

• 240 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:35 PM

I have an 800XL that suddenly is having audio problems.  The volume will be OK for a few minutes then will go almost completely out.  The problem occurs only with the monitor cable.  The RF audio output seems to be constant.  Any ideas about where I could start trouble shooting.

#2 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,708 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:38 PM

I have an 800XL that suddenly is having audio problems.  The volume will be OK for a few minutes then will go almost completely out.  The problem occurs only with the monitor cable.  The RF audio output seems to be constant.  Any ideas about where I could start trouble shooting.

Have you swapped monitor cables? I have one with a breaking/broken audio wire; I have to wiggle the wire around the base of the strain relief housing where it flows into the DIN plug to get audio. Fortunately, I have other cables. 

#3 hueyjones70 OFFLINE  

hueyjones70

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 240 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 8:07 PM

I have used two different cables on two different monitors.

#4 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,708 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 8:12 PM

Start working your way back - have you checked the solder points of the DIN jack on the computer motherboard? Do that, and if you have a soldering iron, reflow the solder for all the pins while youre at it. Then do a continuity check back from there, component by component, back along the audio line.

#5 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• 6,232 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 9:12 PM

I had a bad cord, the cord got wiggled enough times to 'make the sound work' that it worked the jack in the monitor loose. I had to replace the cord and re-solder the rca jack.

other than that I've had to replace the amp on at least two Atari's over all these years...

#6 hueyjones70 OFFLINE  

hueyjones70

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 240 posts

Posted Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:06 AM

It seems that I had two bad cords. Probably have to recheck the solder connections.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 800XL

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users