IGNORED

Barber pole rf interference - light sixer

AtariLeaf

So with the snow day I thought I'd try to tackle some issues. I have a light sixer that's throwing what I would describe as an interference that when you see it moving looks like little barber poles all over the screen as seen below. Now when I freely move the board around in my hands, it lessens or worsens so there's some kind of interference either externally or internally.

I've replaced the big main 2200 cap and the small green chicklet cap at C103 as well as the voltage regulator with parts from Console5, with no results. Also tried different cables and placing a ferrite choke on the cable near the rf modulator. Any other suggestions? It's mostly showing up with Activision carts which I believe have less shielding than standard Atari carts. I have other caps from console 5 and I think there's one near the rf modulator that could be replaced but the problem is I'm not sure which one and which cap from the refresh kit I should use. I have another .1uF but I'm not sure if that one is for the C105 as that one I think needs a 4.7uF

post-2493-0-49134800-1518208403_thumb.jpg

It shouldn't be. If needed, you can add a "foil washer" underneath. I've had some of these that just removing and reinstalling the screws helped. The screws are self-tapping and they clean the metal of the threads each time.

I'm still using my 1st L6er ever. Sears version bought used in '87. I just recently dug it out of Mom's house and started playing with it again. Was never much of 2600 player, but it was my 1st after all.

One last thing, does this one have a channel switch or not? Those switches were problematic.

Edited by zylon

I gotta admit, this set back has got me down a bit. Trying to learn to repair these things and I end up breaking them even further. :(

I guess I better invest in an anti static wrist strap or something like that. My office/game room is carpeted and it's the winter and dry air and I'm shuffling around in socks. That's probably a bad combination for handling old electronics.

Another weird thing, the Keystone Kapers cart I used which worked perfectly, and is the cart I was using to test the system with when something died, seems to be dead itself. It's a clean cart and it always seemed to work first time, every time. Now it doesn't work at all in other Atari's. Could something in a system going bad actually take a cart with it too? I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing but I can't find an explanation for a cart that's now dead that worked flawlessly until the system I was testing died with it in it.

Another weird thing, the Keystone Kapers cart I used which worked perfectly, and is the cart I was using to test the system with when something died, seems to be dead itself. It's a clean cart and it always seemed to work first time, every time. Now it doesn't work at all in other Atari's. Could something in a system going bad actually take a cart with it too? I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing but I can't find an explanation for a cart that's now dead that worked flawlessly until the system I was testing died with it in it.

If something went to a dead short, it could send a surge through and wipe a program in theory. Also possible the cart killed system as well.

I usually used Space Invaders or Warlords for testing.

Edited by zylon

I better not use it then if the cart can kill a system. I tried it in a Vader an H6er. I don't want to harm either of those systems. This is creepy because if so, that could happen with any game randomly played in any system.

I used KK because it had a nice bright, non black screen that would show RF interference easier.

How in the world can a cart kill a system? I've never heard of that before.