IGNORED

Trak-Ball, Size of the ball?

SoundGammon

I put in an 8-ball into my CX-22 and it seems a little smaller.

Cue ball size

The oversized ball is approximately 2 3/8 inches (6 cm) in diameter, which is about one-eighth (2 mm) of an inch larger than a normal ball. This slight difference in size allows the cue ball to be separated before it gets to the storage compartment.

• Like 2

Regulation billiard balls are 2.25" in the US, whereas red/yellow Brittish snooker balls are approximately ~2". Coin op tables use slightly oversize cues to return the ball after a scratch. I put a brand new 8-ball from pooldawgs.com into my cx-80 and the fit was perfect. The 1 or 9 ball would match the yellow color of the 5200 trakball. I also have some 2.25" marble stones but I'm afraid to use them as the added mass might accelerate wear on the rollers. The cast resin on pool balls is much lighter. I checked with a postal scale and the original black roller was 5.5oz whereas the new 8-ball was 6.5oz. By comparison the marble stone was 13oz iirc. I may try the marble stone in my CX-80 anyway just to see how it feels.

• 3 weeks later...

Never even heard of an oversized ball for a coin op table, but it makes sense. My coin op Valley (ancient) HAS to use a regular sized ball with a metal cage inside it. It has a magnet on the table that draws it over to the ball return. It never even occurred that coin op used different types. I had thought at the time that when I got a cue that wouldn t work that it was from a home table. Last time I took it apart I removed a 45 slug from the side of it, and found paperwork where Sherwood had ordered it new for Gilleys.

I've been looking at some 2-1/4" translucent trackballs on E-Bay and I want to get a blue LED light to put under it to give it a cool look.

Just want to make sure I get the right size.

Anyone ever do something like that?

Sounds cool :thumbsup: Please send a pic when you have completed the swap.

Wonder what size the arcade Missile Command trak-balls are? IIRC, they are huge. I've also played some smaller Centipede cabinets, and their trak-balls seem smaller than the regular sized cabinets.