Photo

What is this adapter called?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Atari Dogs OFFLINE  

Atari Dogs

Stargunner

• 1,646 posts

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:31 PM

I was at a local pawn shop looking for a 1960s-1970s Polaroid Land camera, which is a different story, when I saw one of those 2600 adapters that you can plug multiple carts into a piece of hardware and it has a cord and cartridge adapter on it so you don't have to change the games.

What are these called? It was loose and needed to be cleaned up, but i have never seen one in person. Any idea what the cost of one of these would be? I might get it to put my Atariage Christmas cartridges in, so maybe use it a couple times a year.

#2 K-Rod 13 OFFLINE  

K-Rod 13

Space Invader

• 23 posts

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:57 PM

111975_Video-Game-Brain-6-Game-Changer__                                                                                                                                      Saw this on a GOAT Store page, the Video Game Brain 6 Game Changer (that's what they call it.)  Is this the one you saw?

#3 Atari Dogs OFFLINE  

Atari Dogs

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,646 posts

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:58 PM

Yep, that is the one.

#4 Rom Hunter OFFLINE  

Rom Hunter

VCS Games Archivist

• 8,831 posts
  • Obtainer of Rare Antiquities

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:02 PM

Video Game Brain:
http://www.atarimani...rain_31504.html

Game Selex:
http://www.atarimani...elex_31505.html

Videoplexer:
http://www.atarimani...exer_31506.html

8)

#5 K-Rod 13 OFFLINE  

K-Rod 13

Space Invader

• 23 posts

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:06 PM

The GOAT Store has 2 for sale, 14.99 and 33.00 and shipping I would say averages somewhere in the 17.00-20.00 range.   If it's priced right, I would pick it up and maybe see if you can test it or return it if it doesn't work but a rare item indeed.  

#6 Atari Dogs OFFLINE  

Atari Dogs

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,646 posts

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:06 PM

Have never heard of the Game Selex or Videoplex.

#7 SS OFFLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 5,917 posts

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:19 PM

I've never understood these things. What's the need for them? How hard is it to swap cartridges?

#8 K-Rod 13 OFFLINE  

K-Rod 13

Space Invader

• 23 posts

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:26 PM

After doing some quick info research for the 6 game changer, some have experienced that their games would not work properly or even fry them in some cases.  I read some members on Atariage discussing this and even modding their units to prevent this cruel punishment from happening to precious 2600 games.  Just something to think about. 

#9 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• 6,538 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:28 PM

Don't forget the Romscanner:

PRODPIC-23219-2.jpg

I have two Game Brains but never use them. They create static interference in the Atari's video signal. They mostly just kind of hang out and store some of my rarer carts. :)

#10 xucaen OFFLINE  

xucaen

Stargunner

• 1,163 posts
  • Paying bills...

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:07 AM

nice Avatar, captain. :D

#11 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Commander

• 34,006 posts
  • I am the one who knocks!

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:16 AM

I have all of them, pretty much NIB, plus the Imagic kiosk, never got the Parker Bros one.  I think Jose and Marco have one of those.

#12 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 8,742 posts

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:30 AM

I liked the idea early on, but once your rotation exceeded the size of the device its just not practical.

When are we going to get disc exchanger versions of modern consoles? It seems the best use for multiple ROM devices is people with few games.

#13 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 17,641 posts

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:52 AM

Don't forget the Romscanner:

PRODPIC-23219-2.jpg

I have two Game Brains but never use them. They create static interference in the Atari's video signal. They mostly just kind of hang out and store some of my rarer carts. :)

The romscanner looks the most badass of the lot IMO. I'd buy one for sure :)

#14 alex_79 OFFLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,103 posts

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:57 AM

If you find a Video Game brain, check if it has an extra switch, as it might be the version with "Cat Trax" as a built in game.

https://atariage.com...-a-videoplexer/

#15 save2600 ONLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,069 posts

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:40 AM

I had a Video Game Brain BITD when new and a few throughout the years since. All of them produced excess RF interference. So besides being impractical, they add noise/snow/wavy lines to your picture. Just what everyone needs! :lol:

Never had a Romscanner, but someone here (maybe in Venezuela?) not that long ago, ran across a case of them and were selling for somewhere in the $80 range IIRC. Pretty sure they sold out.

#16 Rom Hunter OFFLINE  

Rom Hunter

VCS Games Archivist

• 8,831 posts
  • Obtainer of Rare Antiquities

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:48 AM

I've never understood these things. What's the need for them? How hard is it to swap cartridges?

I think the sales talk was that these things kept your cartridges protected, because you didn't have to insert or take them out of the console.

8)

#17 Atari Dogs OFFLINE  

Atari Dogs

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,646 posts

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:40 PM

I look carefully enough to see if this was the Cat Trax version. Now I will have to go back to see.

#18 0078265317 OFFLINE  

Quadrunner

• 5,943 posts

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:10 PM

Also found these.

https://www.ebay.com...AAAAOSwf15afG8b

https://www.ebay.com...JUAAOSwPzhZ-TMc

#19 Atari Dogs OFFLINE  

Atari Dogs

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,646 posts

Posted Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:00 AM

Just checked, the one they have is not the Cat Trax version.

#20 Rom Collector OFFLINE  

Rom Collector

Star Raider

• 76 posts

Posted Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:04 PM

I had a Video Game Brain BITD when new and a few throughout the years since. All of them produced excess RF interference. So besides being impractical, they add noise/snow/wavy lines to your picture. 

I have two Game Brains but never use them. They create static interference in the Atari's video signal. 

I've never owned one, but sounds like a problem I used to have with the Supercharger and Cuttle Cart. Fixed it by experimenting with different mix ferrite chokes along the cable. Maybe this would help.  

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users