Photo

Trying to find a specific bootloader menu

9 replies to this topic

#1 x=usr(1536) OFFLINE  

x=usr(1536)

Moonsweeper

• 343 posts

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:13 PM

Hoping someone can help me figure this out - I've been spending the past couple of hours trying to dig it up on YouTube but with absolutely no luck at all.

There's a bootloader menu I can recall having on a few disks.  Background was the usual scrolling color bars (gold, I think) under a graphics 0 text screen.  There may have been two versions: one with the flying swan from the Xanth demo, and one without the swan.  Music was very similar to (but not the same as) the music in this video:

Does anyone else know which one I might be referring to?  I'm trying to figure out if a short piece of music I remembered was from that bootloader or not.

#2 Rybags ONLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 15,417 posts

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:28 PM

I have a feeling I might have it on a floppy.  But I've not got a machine setup at the moment to check.

Very possibly it's one of those annoying non-Dos types.

#3 x=usr(1536) OFFLINE  

x=usr(1536)

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 343 posts

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:46 PM

I have a feeling I might have it on a floppy.  But I've not got a machine setup at the moment to check.

Very possibly it's one of those annoying non-Dos types.

I'm almost positive it was non-DOS.  For some reason I have a vague recollection of trying to extract something from one of those disks and it ended up being a very annoying bit copy process.

#4 SenorRossie OFFLINE  

SenorRossie

Space Invader

• 46 posts
  • Rediscovering the atari 8bit after 30 orso years
  • Location:Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, Europe, The Netherlands, Flevoland, Almere

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:11 AM

A quick reply as I'm rather busy with preparations for the Atari Invasion event. But IIRC the menu you're after was known (at least in my collection) as 'Rob C. Menu'.

#5 marcokitt2000 OFFLINE  

marcokitt2000

Chopper Commander

• 218 posts

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:43 PM

Hoping someone can help me figure this out - I've been spending the past couple of hours trying to dig it up on YouTube but with absolutely no luck at all.

There's a bootloader menu I can recall having on a few disks.  Background was the usual scrolling color bars (gold, I think) under a graphics 0 text screen.  There may have been two versions: one with the flying swan from the Xanth demo, and one without the swan.  Music was very similar to (but not the same as) the music in this video:

https://www.youtube....h?v=zjD9i6Q0v0U

Does anyone else know which one I might be referring to?  I'm trying to figure out if a short piece of music I remembered was from that bootloader or not.

http://ftp.pigwa.net... A-Z/index.html

Hello check here on this side look search at rob c ........ all files to download.

Gr. Marco

#6 x=usr(1536) OFFLINE  

x=usr(1536)

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 343 posts

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:17 PM

http://ftp.pigwa.net... A-Z/index.html

Hello check here on this side look search at rob c ........ all files to download.

Gr. Marco

Thanks for the suggestion - I found it icon_smile.gif

The tune was 'Masters of Time' from the Rob C Menu Maker-Diskey II-Musical Menu Maker disk. When I heard the high trilling part, I knew that that was it. The tempo is slower on that disk than on the one I had, but I now understand why the video I posted above sounded so familiar.

One thing I don't understand, though, is how I managed to have a copy of Diskey without having that particular menu maker disk (which is why I didn't think it was a Rob C. disk to begin with).  Certainly had others, to be sure, but that one isn't ringing any bells.

It's also been a very long time since I booted any of those disks, so my memory could possibly be wrong as well.

In any event, thanks for the pointer, and I'll have to see what I can do to come up with something closer to what I remember, but that is definitely the tune!

#7 x=usr(1536) OFFLINE  

x=usr(1536)

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 343 posts

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:58 PM

That's it at the speed and pitch I remember.  Had no idea this was ripped from a game for the bootloader; will have to check the game out.

#8 marcokitt2000 OFFLINE  

marcokitt2000

Chopper Commander

• 218 posts

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:48 AM

That's it at the speed and pitch I remember.  Had no idea this was ripped from a game for the bootloader; will have to check the game out.

Hello

Maybe pal/ntsc problem 50/60 hz.

If it is pal and play on ntsc it will go faster and if it's ntsc and play on pal it wil go slower.

Please us the rob c menu maker and make a new disk and load a sound maybe it will work.

Grt marco

#9 x=usr(1536) OFFLINE  

x=usr(1536)

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 343 posts

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:35 PM

Hello

Maybe pal/ntsc problem 50/60 hz.

If it is pal and play on ntsc it will go faster and if it's ntsc and play on pal it wil go slower.

Please us the rob c menu maker and make a new disk and load a sound maybe it will work.

Grt marco

I was wondering about that as well, but my memory of the speed of the tune was formed on a PAL system ;). I wasn't using NTSC until relatively recently.

Either way, mystery solved.

#10 marcokitt2000 OFFLINE  

marcokitt2000

Chopper Commander

• 218 posts

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:41 AM

I was wondering about that as well, but my memory of the speed of the tune was formed on a PAL system ;). I wasn't using NTSC until relatively recently.

Either way, mystery solved.

Nice to here atari 8 bit rules.
I like the Rob C menu and a have also boot disk to rob c menu with more games on it.
But now we like it orginal.
I like to see other atari users from that time there floppy's.

I hope someone here in the Netherlands have Steve Zipp floppy's or papers he has make a editor for speed intitlizer blue menu from E. Reuse change colours but he have second version what i can rember but i dont have any copy of it.

Allso Steve Zipp he has solid everthing from atari 8 bit long time ago thats why o hope someone have it an can make atr files.

Gr. Marco

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users