IGNORED

RepliCade Presents: Tempest

NewWaveToys

Hey all,

We are NewWaveToys (the creators of Replicade) and we are back with our second and final Kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/529306246/replicade-mini-tempest-arcade-machine-replica-12-t

Just like last time, we are going for a truly authentic feel with our Tempest machine, just in 1/6th scale. It is completely licensed through Atari, which allows us to use all the original art as well as the original ROM.

If you are interested, please come check us out as there are only 8 days left on the Kickstarter!

post-62298-0-98022700-1518419721.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All I can say about that right now is that it is a closed system that boots directly into the game. Thanks for commenting!

So can you say what the hardware is your using now? I don't see why not. It could just be ripped open by anyone and shown to the world so why not do that yourself? Better to be upfront with your customers right? Is it the same hardware as your last effort?

So can you say what the hardware is your using now? I don't see why not. It could just be ripped open by anyone and shown to the world so why not do that yourself? Better to be upfront with your customers right? Is it the same hardware as your last effort?

Hey Shawn,

The hardware is similar and we do plan to show it off in a video before they are released. You are correct that it's better to release it ourselves and that is what we plan on doing!

For the Indiegogo campaign, we had that up (for a slightly more expensive price) for some early adopters that missed the boat. The Indiegogo campaign is now completely over, and anyone who wants to get one does have to pay MSRP. We just wanted to give our community a longer window to pick it up!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

According to the last Kickstarter update, it was scheduled to ship out of China in November with delivery in December. However, since then, they discovered a flaw in the design of the Centipede machine in which the battery is drained far quicker than expected. They have promised to test the Tempest machine to make sure it doesn't have the same flaw. So I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Tempest is delayed a bit longer for this testing and possible changes made to fix the issue if discovered.

I almost bought into these when they first hit crowdfunding. Had a chance to snag one for like $90 early bird. Even at that price seems kind of pricey for a mini arcade when you can snag any one of a dozen mini arcades from WalMart for like $20. Yes I know these are a bit bigger and more likely better made, but I suspect in the end they would just wind up on shelf collecting dust after a few plays. I might have considered it more if there were additional games included. A well made, mini arcade using a trackball with about a dozen classic arcade games included for $90 would be more tempting. Moreso if your hand doesn't cramp after a couple minutes trying to work with diminished controls like they do on every other mini-cade I've played.

I almost bought into these when they first hit crowdfunding. Had a chance to snag one for like $90 early bird. Even at that price seems kind of pricey for a mini arcade when you can snag any one of a dozen mini arcades from WalMart for like $20. Yes I know these are a bit bigger and more likely better made, but I suspect in the end they would just wind up on shelf collecting dust after a few plays. I might have considered it more if there were additional games included. A well made, mini arcade using a trackball with about a dozen classic arcade games included for $90 would be more tempting. Moreso if your hand doesn't cramp after a couple minutes trying to work with diminished controls like they do on every other mini-cade I've played.

Including Millipede at least WOULD have been really nice, and it's a shame they didn't go that route. But playability wise, I couldn't be happier with the Centipede machine. My scores are pretty much just what they have always been on the arcade game, and there's no discomfort. Really hoping for a similar experience with Tempest, but getting the spinner AND the monitor right at that scale will be a challenge!

I noticed the quick battery drain on Centipede. I'd prefer they fix it for Tempest. I guess I'll have to check if they have any options to fix Centipede at this point.

Yeah, the problem is real, alright. :-( As of yet, they haven't come up with a fix, but they have said they're looking into it. I'd keep expectations low... unless they can somehow fix it in firmware (which seems unlikely as it sounds like a hardware problem) I can't see how they could possibly afford a recall of these things. It's certainly playable as-is, the situation just makes the battery kind of useless.

Yeah, the problem is real, alright. :-( As of yet, they haven't come up with a fix, but they have said they're looking into it. I'd keep expectations low... unless they can somehow fix it in firmware (which seems unlikely as it sounds like a hardware problem) I can't see how they could possibly afford a recall of these things. It's certainly playable as-is, the situation just makes the battery kind of useless.

Where are they posting all this info? I would love to read up on this....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...