IGNORED

Funspot Arcade

cvga

I've warmed my family up to the idea of visiting Lake Winnipesaukee this summer which would of course include a visit to the Funspot Arcade. Just wondering from other people who have visited, where did you stay if you spent a night or more there and what else is worth visiting in the area? (especially for people who might not want to spend much time in or even visit the arcade)

I've been to Funspot three times and stayed at 3 different places.

The first time I went I stayed at the Margate. It's on the lake and they have an indoor pool and weight room. I stayed for the weekend.

The second time I went I rented a house that had a small private beach on the lake. I stayed for the weekend.

The third time I went I rented a "house" on this guy's property that had a private beach on the lake. I stayed for a week.

I would recommend doing the cruise on the lake. I wouldn't recommend the train ride as you won't see much.

• Like 1

I live about an hour from FunSpot, so I can't really comment on accommodations. There are hotels nearby but most of the places are small private spots by the lake. I would imagine they fill up quickly so I'd check into it before the warm weather comes.

One thing to note: make sure you don't plan a trip around Laconia Bike Week. The whole area becomes a zoo for an entire week (or more).

The Weirs Beach state park is within a 1/4 mile of FunSpot, so if your family isn't interested in the arcade there is that. As VectorGamer mentioned, there is a boat called the "Mount Washington" which does small tours during the day and seems pretty popular. Not a ton of restaurants really. I mean, there are some but you might have to drive to nearby towns.

Also take some time and visit the White Mountain region. You would be close by and there are tons of great things to see and do.

Edited by davidmt
  • Like 1

I visited a couple years ago while visiting New England with my SO, who is from the region. We only spent an afternoon at Funspot but it's well worth visiting (we were staying in Keene though, a couple hours away - it was a half-day trip). If you like to go hiking there are a boatload of great trails in NH, especially if you're up for mountainous terrain.

• Like 1

I really want to go back to FunSpot, and not just for a quick after-noon like last time. The only problem I see is with lunch and dinner: I had the worst pizza ever at FunSpot's small cafeteria. I can only hope they've improved their menu, especially considering restaurants are few and far between in that general area.

I haven't made a "pilgrimage" to Funspot in... man... about 10 years. I live in MA, and am about 3 hours away, so it's possible for me to make a day trip out of it. I think I'm planning a vacation this summer up to NH, and am hoping to spend some time there, so this thread is relevant to my interests as well.

As far as other stuff to do in the area... it's near Lake Winnipesaukee, which gets buzzing during the summer months. There are other amusement places, like mini golf and go-kart type of places, but most of that stuff would be covered by what Funspot has to offer. I plan on hitting up Mt. Washington as well, but that's not really in the area. Every time I go up there, we have stopped at a different place to eat. There's an old tin-style diner not too far from there that's ok, a few family restaurants nearby, and a bunch of places that cater to bikers because Bike Week happens there every year (I'm assuming none of you are interested in pulling a Pee Wee Herman in any of those places, LOL). There's an old Bavarian-looking house that's an ice cream place where you make your own sundaes that's more of a tourist trap than anything else, but we tend to hit that up every time we go for nostalgia's sake (I used to go there as a kid when visiting the area).

• Like 1

There's an old Bavarian-looking house that's an ice cream place where you make your own sundaes that's more of a tourist trap than anything else, but we tend to hit that up every time we go for nostalgia's sake (I used to go there as a kid when visiting the area).

I go there every time I'm there. Couldn't remember the name so I had to Google: http://kellerhaus.com/

There's another place to get ice cream called the Happy Cow https://www.facebook.com/HappyCowIceCream

• Like 1

I've been to Funspot three times and stayed at 3 different places.

The first time I went I stayed at the Margate. It's on the lake and they have an indoor pool and weight room. I stayed for the weekend.

The second time I went I rented a house that had a small private beach on the lake. I stayed for the weekend.

The third time I went I rented a "house" on this guy's property that had a private beach on the lake. I stayed for a week.

I would recommend doing the cruise on the lake. I wouldn't recommend the train ride as you won't see much.

Thanks to everyone who replied. The Margate is one of three options I'm debating. Looks like we're going to go the first or second week of August.

Funspot is a 54 minute drive from where I live, so as you can imagine, I visit there often on weekends.

As for other places to visit: visit the Weirs Beach boardwalk the next time you come through. Theres a giant arcade there that has many rare coin-ops from the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Edit: I forgot to mention what I meant by rare: he has cabinets that I havent seen since I was teenager. Its impossible to remember them all, but these immediately come to mind: Star Wars Arcade, X-Men (that giant wide-screen cabinet that supports 4-players), Capcoms AD&D, Q-berts Cubes (if I am remembering correctly; its been a couple of years since I last visited), etc.

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 1

Have any of you stayed or know much about Bay Point at Mill Falls in Meredith? It looks pretty nice.

It’s a pretty high class place, believe it or not. My wife’s employer has their Christmas parties there every year (she works in Meredith), and the food, lodging and service are the best in the era. The place is divided into five lodging areas: Inn at Mill Falls, Chase House, Bay Point, Church Landing (where the Christmas party was held, and where we staid overnight) and the Cottages.

Here are some photos from our stay at Church Landing last Christmas. My wife can be seen checking out the balcony to our room in the first photo.

Thank you so much for all of the information and sharing pictures. I have reservations for two nights at The Margate, two nights at Church Landing and two night at the Inn at Diamond Cove (in Portland ME). Sounds like a fun week!

few places in Portland Me. to check out if you like:

Arcadia National Bar children hours limited Sat 12-4; they have plenty of great pinball to play , some arcade & home consoles to play scattered about ( N64 SNES Wii)

Coast City Comics good pinball, couple arcade cabs, retro game sales, collectables, naturally comics :)

Strange Maine record store with some good retro games to buy

Bull Moose Music chain of record stores with some retro games not listed on their web site ( N.Windham & Scarborough may be better than others)

• Like 1

few places in Portland Me. to check out if you like:

Arcadia National Bar children hours limited Sat 12-4; they have plenty of great pinball to play , some arcade & home consoles to play scattered about ( N64 SNES Wii)

Coast City Comics good pinball, couple arcade cabs, retro game sales, collectables, naturally comics :)

Strange Maine record store with some good retro games to buy

Bull Moose Music chain of record stores with some retro games not listed on their web site ( N.Windham & Scarborough may be better than others)

Awesome! Thank you!!

I'm assuming it will be warm enough to swim in New Hampshire in August. Can anyone confirm? My daughter has asked twice :)

yeah lake swimming in August is great, the Ocean water is quite cool but in August will be refreshing

chas gave me a key ring .... one day I will go

keep in mind I have an entire cigar box of key rings to places I will one day go lol

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1