IGNORED

Digital Recorder as Tape Deck replacement?

Sinphaltimus

I'm wondering if any of you have replaced your tape deck with a digital recorder? And how's that working for you?

>>>Like THIS one <<<

It supports WAV so loading it up is easy and it supports sound activated recording making the ability to save programs from console a breeze. With both a headphone and microphone jack, it seems pretty straightforward to connect.

I ask because although I have 2 (or 3?) tape decks for the TI, only one is reliable, until its not. And even then, I still don't use cassettes with it, I have two devices like the one HERE and they work fine from my cell phone but it's not as ideal and I can't save with it (to cell phone). So I'm just thinking ahead. Not in the market for one of these yet.

BUT, I also have one of those cassette cables for the TI that supports 2 decks, so I wouldn't lose the capability to read real tapes. <-- that just occurred to me, hrm, I may end up getting one next month or so. Perhaps I'll guinea pig it.

Question, with the dual cassette cable, does that mean I have to use CS2? Or does CS1 work for both?

I don't use physical cassettes for program use, but the digital method had some fun appeal that I've tried with no luck. I found that most modern pieces of equipment tend to attenuate the audio output making them unusable for the cassette interface. I don't know if it's because of government mandate or if private companies want to insulate themselves from potential lawsuits from customers damaging their hearing and suing them.

If this is the route you take I wish you better luck than I had.. if it works please let me know!

• Like 1

Not sure about the latest cheapie recorders, but I've been using a portable CD player with my TI and the VCS Supercharger since the mid 90's. Works great! Have also played around with an original iPod and it too, worked well. Suspect the Tascam DR40 I have laying around would also work just fine.

• Like 1

Cool, thanks all. I added this item to my wishlist - as soon as I get approval from my handler, I'll get it. I've been abusing my privileges lately so I think I should show I can go a couple of paychecks without ordering something first.

i sure your feel your pain! i get 'the look' still when packages show up.

• Like 1

Our beloved computer is looking for about 1 volt ac to load reliably. The deck being used should be equipped with a tone control as well as volume - A starting point on the controls should be volume about 8 and tone on full high (bright). I have a vom set to 1-5 volts ac connected to my main system so I can adjust accordingly to any troublesome cassettes that come my way. I have found that most portable cassette recorders that us ALC (Automatic Level Control) record at a lower level than 1 volt. I have connected to my second TI system a recorder that I can defeat the ALC with a switch and record manually - which is set at a level that usually always gives me the 1 volt when tested on my main system. Like I said on other threads - I still dig cassettes.

It has been my experience using digital recorders that most do not have enough audio to satisfy the TI's need for input. Also some of the portable cassette recorders being made today use a stereo 1/8 jack for the headphone output - The TI will not like it. You could get a splitter and use the left channel (or possibly right) to output to the computer.

• Like 1