IGNORED

SDrive-MAX ATX support

Farb

Some more cases available, that's it for the spool!

Same deal as before for fellow AA members, cost is US shipping (and whatever optional donationware you may feel, a hearty thanks to the folks who have added so this doesn't cost me money :)) PM if interested.

Preference is to send these out to folks who don't have a case already first, and if not enough takers I'll go back to the list of folks who want a second.

Sa8nNr.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

Just built my first SDrive-MAX and need a little help locating a good source for ATR files as well as how to store them on the SD card (i.e. directory structure). I am very excited, I just got my old Atari 800 working the other night and actually have some old floppy disks from 1981 that still load on my Rana 1000 Drive! Blows my mind.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all,

Gavin

I am new here by the way :)

post-65767-0-95827800-1535255221_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi all!

Just built my first SDrive-MAX and need a little help locating a good source for ATR files as well as how to store them on the SD card (i.e. directory structure). I am very excited, I just got my old Atari 800 working the other night and actually have some old floppy disks from 1981 that still load on my Rana 1000 Drive! Blows my mind.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all,

Gavin

I am new here by the way :)

Well good for you, getting back into the A8 and already up to speed with the latest greatest SDrive!

• Like 1

Well good for you, getting back into the A8 and already up to speed with the latest greatest SDrive!

Yes sir, I don't mess around when I get my mind set on something. I can't wait to see what else I can do with it, I want to build some kind of wifi modem emulator so I can spin up my old BBS system and have it available via telnet. I have a few old friends that would love to see that again.

I updated my batch-file for the Mac. As I made a second unit and flashed it, it showed some problems with loading XEX files (ATX's and ATR's worked fine..... strangely).

My script didn't wait for the first flash action to complete and went to the second flashing stage right away while I could see the first progress bar still increasing.

This error was hidden because I had obviously already flashed my first (own) Sdrive-Max and so it already had the flashed data of the first flash I guess....

I added a pause of 10 seconds between the two flash-stages and a Message is shown to inform the user to wait.

Please delete the V1.0 version and only use this new V1.1 as V1.0 will not render a good working Sdrive-Max when flashing a new unit.

Would love any feedback.... :D

Flash Sdrive Max Apple Mac V1-1.zip

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

Greetings,

I have mine all wired up, I am using an external power supply, and when I boot up the Atari it makes one beep like it is trying to load dos, but then just stops and hangs. Any ideas?

When I disconnect the SDrive-Max from the computer, or power off the computer I get an "SIO:CMD Timeout" on the LCD screen, so I think it is wired correctly.

Any help would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks,

Gavin

hello, maybe wrong place for this query but, having issue flashing the eeprom.bin to my uno. Has anyone got past this error before? mac:

cd /dev

ls

seems to show the uno is on

tty.usbserial-1410

tty.wchusbserial1410

so in terminal, as per instructions here http://www.abbuc.de/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9451

avrdude -carduino -pm328p -P /dev/tty.usbserial-1410 -U flash: w: eeprom_writer.hex

avrdude: invalid I/O mode '' in update specification

allowed values are:

r = read device

w = write device

v = verify device

avrdude: error parsing update operation 'flash:'

I get this invalid I/O mode error. can anyone please advise how to get past this?

testing the connection, I think I can upload a sketch ok to the uno, insofar I dnt see any errors when uploading.

TIA

Edited by iainjh

Greetings,

I have mine all wired up, I am using an external power supply, and when I boot up the Atari it makes one beep like it is trying to load dos, but then just stops and hangs. Any ideas?

When I disconnect the SDrive-Max from the computer, or power off the computer I get an "SIO:CMD Timeout" on the LCD screen, so I think it is wired correctly.

Any help would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks,

Gavin

Never mind, I got it working :)

you have images selected an in the slots d1 - d4 as well as keeping d0: empty I hope. Picture of your work will help us see connections are correct etc... you did the low voltage drop diode as well I hope

Thank you but I got it working. Love this thing. Anyone know how I can copy my own floppies to it?

Thank you but I got it working. Love this thing. Anyone know how I can copy my own floppies to it?

Easiest way I found was make a few blank ATR files in the sizes you need, mount them in a slot other than your existing hardware drive, and use the DOS disk copy routine to copy them. Change to the next blank atr file, and repeat. It'd be awesome if the SDrive emulated a happy drive for writing, could use my happy 1050 to copy the few protected disks I have (although they are already out there as ATX files, so it's kinda pointless, but would be neat anyway, lol).

• Like 2

hello, maybe wrong place for this query but, having issue flashing the eeprom.bin to my uno. Has anyone got past this error before? mac:

cd /dev

ls

seems to show the uno is on

tty.usbserial-1410

tty.wchusbserial1410

so in terminal, as per instructions here http://www.abbuc.de/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9451

avrdude -carduino -pm328p -P /dev/tty.usbserial-1410 -U flash: w: eeprom_writer.hex

avrdude: invalid I/O mode '' in update specification

allowed values are:

r = read device

w = write device

v = verify device

avrdude: error parsing update operation 'flash:'

I get this invalid I/O mode error. can anyone please advise how to get past this?

testing the connection, I think I can upload a sketch ok to the uno, insofar I dnt see any errors when uploading.

TIA

Uhhhhhhh.......if you're a Mac user, why not give the batch-script which I posted two posts ago here a try ? :D

By the way, this script is using Bash, from what I've read, this is also the default scripting "language" for Linux so this batch-file might also work for Linux users ? Not sure...but it could :)

My batch file uses the command:

ls /dev/tty.*

instead of

cd /dev

ls

This delivers the correct port name for the Uno right away, without having to go through a long list and finding it manually.

Do note that I advice to have only ONE serial device connected to your USB ports when running the script or this command or else it might find two or more devices.

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

hi, thanks for reply

Yes I also tried that, this is the message I get from the mac script: it seems to fail then continue anyway. How do I know it's completed successfully?

OK, here we go !

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "/dev/tty.usbserial-1420": Resource busy

ioctl("TIOCMGET"): Inappropriate ioctl for device

avrdude done. Thank you.

Waiting for first flash-stage to finish..... Please wait !

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "/dev/tty.usbserial-1420": Resource busy

ioctl("TIOCMGET"): Inappropriate ioctl for device

avrdude done. Thank you.

Done !

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

thanks again! :)

• Like 1

It hasnt completed judging by the error messages. My script doesnt handle the errors that the AVRDUDE produces so you simply see them on the screen. Maybe I could introduce some error handling but that would require diving deeper into BASH scripting ;)

Now to your problem:

Have you installed this ? https://www.obdev.at/products/crosspack/download.html

And what serial chip does your UNO have ?

You may need to install a driver for that too.

Edited by Level42

Quote from an earlier post I made here if your UNO has a CH430G serial chip:

To do this on a Mac with HighSierra and a cheap UNO clone with CH430G serial chip:

Install a driver for the CH430G serial chip that is used on that UNO first.

I found that here:

http://www.wch.cn/do...ER_MAC_ZIP.html

Yes it's all Chinese, but simply click on the blue button with the cloud and downpointing arrow and you'll be fine.

Download it and open the file, double click the .pkg file and follow instructions. Depending on your security settings you may get a warning and you have to change the setting (is indicated right during the process).

....and then try the flash batch file.

Edited by Level42

https://www.ebay.com/itm/On-Screen-Display-Ardupilot-Mega-Mini-OSD-Rev-1-1-DIY-Drones-f-APM-2-6-APM-2-8/171749560872?hash=item27fd125228:g:grcAAOSwXrhXmeWB

would there be a way to use this to overlay Atari's Video on the Arduino/Uno's little screen or vice versa overlay Arduino/Uno's Video out over the Larger TV/Monitor the computer is using. Looks like it might be possible?

Hi All,

I had my SDrive-MAX working but today I got some new joysticks and wanted to try out some of the games. Went to boot it and it doesn't see the SDrive. It just makes that sound at boot when there is no drive attached and goes to Ready. No idea what could have happened as I haven't even opened the SDrive-MAX since I built it and it was working. I am using an external power supply, didn't connect +5 from SIO and the SDrive seems to be working correctly, I can select images and put them on the drives.

Any ideas on a direction I can go to troubleshoot would be great. I was thinking of re-flashing the Arduino but as I said it seems like the software on it is working as designed. It shows SIO:CMD Timeout on the display when I unplug the SIO or turn off the A800.

Also, I can boot to my Rana 1000 floppy when I connect it, so I know it isn't the A800.

NEVER MIND, A WIRE CAME LOOSE IN THE BOX!

Thanks all,

Gavin

Edited by Gavin1968