Photo

Apple II Madness (Apple II Demos)

8 replies to this topic

#1 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 8,211 posts

Posted Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:35 PM

I tried 3 different searches and didn't find a similar topic... I hope it's not a dupe.

#2 MarkO OFFLINE  

MarkO

Dragonstomper

• 918 posts
  • Location:Albany, Oregon, USA, North Western Hemisphere, Planet Tera

Posted Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:19 PM

I tried 3 different searches and didn't find a similar topic... I hope it's not a dupe.

This would be Marc A. Golombeck's project...

MarkO

#3 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,319 posts

Posted Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:47 PM

I don't recall there ever being a demo thread for Apple II. Otherwise I would have marked it for following.

Unfortunately I never did recover all my GRAPHDB demo disks my buddies and I whipped up back in the day. GRAPHDB was just an arbitrary name I made up for a series of disks and means nothing. It probably did to my childhood mind, but damned if I remember what! The disks I did find were in the garage exposed for years. So that's that. Most were demos of animated art and geometry, not necessarily demo-demo material like the scene groups or anything. Maybe with a new coating and lubrication layer they might be readable. IDK.

Hell, the Apple II is disadvantaged when it comes to demos. You can't really "push" its hardware or uncover hidden tricks or use the hardware in unintentional ways when it comes to graphics and sound. Everything is rather finite and rigid for A/V output. There's simply "not enough". Unlike the TIA or custom chips in other 8-bit rigs. 30 and 40 years later we're still finding out how to trick those mystery circuits into doing something they weren't designed to do. Or thought of for. I swear the TIA and brethren are mixed signal, and that makes for a more organic flow. More ambiguity.

The creativity process in the Apple II seems different than most micros that followed it. You have an array of memory and that's basically it. There's a lot of hidden magic and ingenuity in the copy-protection & de-protection camp. And wouldn't you know it? That's were there's some analog circuitry! But that's a whole other field outside and away from demos.

#4 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,211 posts

Posted Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:08 PM

Some people have taken disks out of the original sleeve, cleaned them (not sure how) and inserted them in new sleeves.

#5 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,211 posts

Posted Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 PM

Programming the Apple II is pure code optimization when it comes to stuff like this.
The CoCo and Plus/4 are kinda the same way but they have more video modes.

#6 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,319 posts

Posted Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:44 PM

Some people have taken disks out of the original sleeve, cleaned them (not sure how) and inserted them in new sleeves.

That's the easy part. Cut, fold, tear, whatever, however. Wash with soap and water. Plain water, sometimes a bit of alcohol and water. All depends on the contaminant. Sometimes a short soak. OR you can use specialized chlorofluorhydrocarbon based cleaners. I find a damp Q-Tip good for spot-cleaning fungus.

TRIVIA: The bare disk substrate will work in a drive if you insert it and align it carefully. It will work for a long time because it doesn't really rub against anything except the head and pressure pads.

#7 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,211 posts

Posted Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:20 PM

The demo above has been released.

Link

#8 Tommyptr OFFLINE  

Tommyptr

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:19 AM

Is this open for ALL Apple ][ Demos?

VeCaves II- Eat to survive (very early concept with Mockingboard support). - Spacebar is all you need to know.

https://www.dropbox....k demo.dsk?dl=0

Introduction to a future game TREX.  (*128kb) (w/ *1bit digital sound)  In development now!

https://www.dropbox.... TREX4.dsk?dl=0

Introduction to RiverRaid (*128kb) (w/ *1 bit digital sound)- Slated for development after TREX

https://www.dropbox....MASTER.dsk?dl=0

#9 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,211 posts

Posted Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:46 PM

I didn't really say what kind of demos, but if it's cool... why not.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users