Photo

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

atari capcom arcade centipede asteroids street fighter II

1384 replies to this topic

#1376 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,997 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:05 PM

continuing the pac-man theme,red bull pac-man drink, game,and modified namco pixel bash:---------------------------------https://www.bustle.c...talgia-13115148event-image-10089070-37fe4525-0dce-4edf-https://pacman.redbull.com/later-1

Neat idea, but I see a couple of issues with this design. Suppose you have this cab in a bar, store, or other retail establishment. One customer is playing a round of pacman, and another customer wants to grab a redbull can from the cooler fridge below. I can see this creating tension or conflict, especially if both patrons already have alcoholic drinks in them... :ponder:

#1377 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,997 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:16 PM

NOTE : i would have updated my original post, but edits are lockedafter a period of time that had passed.later-1

Become an AtariAge Subscriber and be able to edit posts for 30 days! :grin: :thumbsup:

#1378 negative1 OFFLINE  

negative1

Dragonstomper

• 521 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:16 PM

ok, another off-topic post, but here's why,
i would post this in the mini-arcade post:
http://atariage.com/...e-alert/page-34

But it's too big for that, and too small for this current post,
they are bigger than bartops, and look much better, with the
appropriately scaled and sized cabinets.

so maybe i should start a not-quite-mini-arcade post.

anyways,
here's mini donkey kong

============================================

IMPORTANT NOTES:
ONLY FOR RENT IN SAN FRANCISCO, or you can play them in the guys arcade there:
https://www.smallchangearcade.com/

YES, THEY ARE FOR SALE
https://www.smallcha...e.com/services/

He has made:
--------------
Donkey Kong
Tetris
Ms Pac Man
NBA JAM
Ms Pac Man / Galaga
Robocop
Arkanoid

These look awesome, the controls look awesome, and its REAL CRT.

- 4/10 scale
- lit marquee
- real arcade PCB
- real CRT 15hz monitor
- real controls (looks like it)
- excellent repro art

i think they are super cool, would love to see a pac-man, dig dug,
centipede, tempest (on CRT), etc.

later

Edited by negative1, Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:44 PM.

#1379 Silverfleet OFFLINE  

Silverfleet

Dragonstomper

• 556 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:29 PM

Yesterday, I played not one, but TWO Galaga machines at random Walmarts.  :lol:

First one had the spacer under it. This does help a lot with playability while standing, that's for sure (at least for me; I'm 6'1"). I consider myself halfway decent at Galaga, although a little rusty, but I know the game very well. Let me start off by saying that the controls are pure crap! This cab's stick was loose, and felt like there was a plastic gate on an 8-way stick that only allowed it to go left and right. On top of that, this one had a significant delay between moving the stick and the ship moving onscreen. And on top of THAT, there were some serious graphical glitches going on. The most glaring glitch happened when the tractor beam ship came down, activated the beam, and it was a solid inch off of where the ship was!  :-o

Second machine I played didn't have the spacer, but it played A LOT better. No glitches here. The stick still felt like crap but at least there was no delay this time, making it playable. I made it to round 10 or so before my back started acting up from bending down, so I gave up. 

There is no freaking way I would pay $299 for this thing. It should at least have a few more games on it, like Galaxian, Gaplus, and Galaga '88 at the very least! Not to mention the crap controls... 

All of this reminds me that I really need to fix up my Galaga-converted Galaxian cocktail cab that's been languishing in my basement for years now. Yeah, I should do that. 

#1380 negative1 OFFLINE  

negative1

Dragonstomper

• 521 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:46 PM

gauntlet bug is now fixed:

levels wraparound after level 100, and should go up to 999,
and after that start back at level 8.

not sure if anyone will get to those.

later

#1381 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Quadrunner

• 5,292 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:46 PM

I finally got my hands on one of the 1ups this evening.  I swung by walmart looking for something on sale, saw they had the SF2CE cabinet setup.  I'm no master level at it anymore where I'd make people miserable in the earlier/mid 90s, but I'm not awful so I think I'm a fair critic as much.  I put in battles playing as Ryu against dhalsim, himself, e honda and then blanka for a round and a half.  I can't say I'm very impressed.  Maybe having the Neo-Geo makes me a bit more sensitive to it, or it's a design flaw, but the controls do not work 100%.  I don't know what they're using in there exactly but it wasn't picking up the basic fireball motion each time so trying to chain a fist/fireball combo was unreliable and the dragon punch wasn't as easy either.  That's basically game breaking to me.

Also don't ever rage out with this thing, that plastic over the LCD is ultra thin.  I just touched it and barely pushed in out of curiosity and it caused the usual pushing too hard pond ripple effect to the LCD.  I tried to wobble parts of it and the fake marquee wasn't even stable, rattled a bit so I can see where the construction on it just isn't that hot.

Even with them doing a $50 off walmart deal to $250 for black friday it feels still way too much for the build and control issues.  The cabinet hadn't been out that long so it wasn't all mucked up or worn in any way so I know someone hadn't beat the thing up.

#1382 lord_mike OFFLINE  

lord_mike

Chopper Commander

• 192 posts

Posted Yesterday, 1:12 AM

So, i got one of the asteroids cabs a few weeks ago, and i too noticed the spinner problems. I was going to do some sort of 3D printer mod, but then i saw this mod on youtube and things are a million times better (especially after I sprayed in some silicone lube). This is the cheapest, easiest mod for the spinner, as it only needs pennies and electrical tape. I am very happy with the results:

Edited by lord_mike, Yesterday, 1:28 AM.

#1383 phoenixdownita OFFLINE  

phoenixdownita

River Patroller

• 3,398 posts

Posted Yesterday, 1:54 AM

Neat idea, but I see a couple of issues with this design. Suppose you have this cab in a bar, store, or other retail establishment. One customer is playing a round of pacman, and another customer wants to grab a redbull can from the cooler fridge below. I can see this creating tension or conflict, especially if both patrons already have alcoholic drinks in them... :ponder:

Not really. If the mechanism in the fridge door is somewhat automatic or the can of redbull shot autonomously at groin level it can make for interesting situations.

If the player is a female when the Redbull is "dispensed" ... congratulations you just met Lexington Steele, if the player is instead male he'll probably black out (my take is that he won't realize much until morning at which point "blue balls" would mean something ... literal) and give a chance to other patrons to either have a drink or try their luck while playing, hopefully not everyone feels parched in sequential order.

#1384 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,997 posts

Posted Today, 12:16 AM

Yesterday, I played not one, but TWO Galaga machines at random Walmarts.  :lol:

First one had the spacer under it. This does help a lot with playability while standing, that's for sure (at least for me; I'm 6'1"). I consider myself halfway decent at Galaga, although a little rusty, but I know the game very well. Let me start off by saying that the controls are pure crap! This cab's stick was loose, and felt like there was a plastic gate on an 8-way stick that only allowed it to go left and right. On top of that, this one had a significant delay between moving the stick and the ship moving onscreen. And on top of THAT, there were some serious graphical glitches going on. The most glaring glitch happened when the tractor beam ship came down, activated the beam, and it was a solid inch off of where the ship was!  :-o

Second machine I played didn't have the spacer, but it played A LOT better. No glitches here. The stick still felt like crap but at least there was no delay this time, making it playable. I made it to round 10 or so before my back started acting up from bending down, so I gave up. 

There is no freaking way I would pay $299 for this thing. It should at least have a few more games on it, like Galaxian, Gaplus, and Galaga '88 at the very least! Not to mention the crap controls... 

All of this reminds me that I really need to fix up my Galaga-converted Galaxian cocktail cab that's been languishing in my basement for years now. Yeah, I should do that.

Interesting observation. I have not noticed any issues with mine and lag is very low to the point it is barely detectectable but doesn't affect gameplay. Maybe I am lucky and got a good unit. All the Walmarts in my area have the game controls sectioned off under an acrylic shield and are locked into demo mode. Hitting P2 activates demo mode.

The button was shoddy so I replaced the 30mm red janky Fire button with a 28mm Suzo/Happ red plunger with 20g Zippy Microswitch. The yellow P1/P2 I kept stock since they are rarely used and don't require twich reflexes. 20g Zippys are what I use in all my arcade sticks and comes stock from GroovyGameGear. The 20g micros cause far less finger fatigue compared to the stock buttons.

The joystick isn't great but as it's only a 2-way, deadzone / throw distance isn't critical as with an 8-way. I may replace it with a Paradise Arcade stick with the restrictor plate locked to 2-way, instead of having the mdf slot rubbing on the shaft. I successfully attemped the "no fire" glitch tonight (which requires not shooting one of the leftmost bees in stage 1-2 and waiting 10-15 minutes until it stops firing, after which point no enemies in the game shoot bullets) though I did not beat my old high score of 100k+.

I also noticed several white specks in the paint have appeared on the control panel marquee. They are currently the size of pinheads but will get bigger if I don't do something soon. I plan on disassembling the control panel completely and applying thick layer of polyeurathane varnish on it using a foam brush. 2-3 coats lapped with 600 grit sandpaper in between should do it. It will slightly yellow the marquee but will also pefmanently protect it from rubbing, scratching, and uv light damage.

#1385 twalk OFFLINE  

twalk

Space Invader

• 17 posts

Posted Today, 4:08 PM

Supposedly some TJ Maxx's are now getting the 12-1 deluxe and selling for only $299

Best buy now has the other 4 cabs listed as "coming soon". If you're lucky enough to have gotten the 25% off a single item coupon, it was confirmed to work on the 12-1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: atari, capcom, arcade, centipede, asteroids, street fighter II

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users