IGNORED

Intellivision to HDMI (product)

Porte048

OK, I found the manual at Toshiba's site for the 32L310U18 and on page 77 for the specs, under Tuner it says:

Analog: NTSC

Digital: ATSC, 8-VSB, Clear-QAM

So when I get around to replacing my CRT, I'll need to verify that (a) it has a tuner and (b) it has explicit NTSC support for the tuner. But the good news is that it seems likely that we'll continue to get new TVs that can drive an intv, as long as it has a tuner.

• 2 weeks later...

some personal thoughts of using a crt (flatscreen at all) for vintage consoles.

how good the quality might be, it let's me miss something.

when i connect the Inty to my moms flatscreen the image is fairly good, almost as good as an av signal.

but exactly this it was annoys me a little, it equals to the result of an emulator and a monitor, i miss the feeling i play on a old hardware.

that might sound stupid but this i felt.

the only difference left will be the controllers and the lower speed of the PAL hardware, erm and ok, the physical present console on the desk.

even worse if i would replace the crappy controllers with something new, there won't be much difference to playing it emulated.

it's somehow cool, but maybe to cool.

playing on my crappy old tube i guess it has a diagonale of 40cm, is to me much more authentic, with all it's backdraws the tube has.

incl. due to age a missmatching pillow distortion (i have to work on this).

but i haven't had even in my youth a much bigger tube, it already costed me a lot of my income as apprentice to buy me one, in fact it was a rate paying contract.

that shitty tube tv costed me near to 1000,- Sfr. back in the early eighties. (the used i have now i bought for 10.- SFr.)

a "big screen" would have cost me easy 3000.- SFr. back then.

quite soon i bought me revised used one from a tv/radio/music electronics engineer (small electronics shop, i never like to hear africans are less intelligent or i have to punch you in the nose, his shop was close to "super love" records shop and i don't have to tell you what sort of music you found in it), this guy was really good in what he did this tube lasted longer as any else, fixed it better as new one will be.

i'm even not sure if i will like the result my yet av modded inty will produce on the multisync monitor i have, the mask is much finer as a common PAL TV.

see, you can turn on in sophisticated emulators all kinds of artificial distortion up to a burn-in only to produce a more realistic appearance of the picture.

(if it would be possible to physically bump the screen of a flatscreen like a tube they would do it only to reproduce the picture of a tube)

vice versa we search for the best possible image on a flatscreen and a quasi higher resolution for the real hardware?

that clearly contradicts.

to get rid of the sideeffects of the modulated signal like the moireé effect i think is ok, it was something i did to my sega mkII very early and it was very easy done.

but like i said already my mothers flatscreen seems to me to artificial to play an old console on it.

imho there is no substitute for a tube tv or monitor for an old hardware, else i feel i play/use it emulated.

"baker for baking bread - cobbler to fit your shoes" even in this case.

the multisync will be perfect for my amigas, because it belongs to the age.

the tube tv is perfect for the inty, because it belongs to the age.

my lcd monitior is perfect for my quite old pc (i hold even much older models which i certainly would use even on the multisync), it belongs to the age.

would i kick myself in the ass and build up the rampage III board which lurks around in my flat i would like to have even a more recent monitor to respect the quality & age of the board.

(note to myself: get a suitable powersupply for it, dammit it's worth the effort instead to steady complain about your shitty old pc)

but hey, personal opinion and you know opinions are like assholes - not everybody likes to share mine.

post-41280-0-04352000-1521285956_thumb.jpg

which "display" would suit to this car?

which cloth you would wear to drive it?

Edited by Gernot

But I'm curious as to why a 2-month-old Toshiba (what model?) would have both an NTSC/ATSC tuner and why the intv would work at all when the NTSC shut off was 2009. Maybe it is cost efficient to just include NTSC support with the ATSC hardware?

Many countries are still broadcasting in NTSC. So it may not be going away anytime soon. Looks like component inputs are going away as s-video disappeared long ago. So that leaves crappy composite for your old analog devices. Still when buying a digital TV for old video games you still have to watch for output lag. There are websites that measure and list lag for various televisions. Otherwise you can go with a quality external analog to digital converter/scaler. Edited by mr_me

Still when buying a digital TV for old video games you still have to watch for output lag. There are websites that measure and list lag for various televisions. Otherwise you can go with a quality external analog to digital converter/scaler.

Hmmm, I hadn't considered that. I have now found a few websites for display lag, but none that check anything less than digital 720p. Is it reasonable to assume that a set with good performance for 1080p will also have low lag at 480i from NTSC?

• 3 months later...

I rotated TVs last week, and my basement TV, which was a 2007 Sony, is now a 2012ish Vizio.. and though I managed to get the ColecoVision working (modded), the INTV isn't working. Same connection through the coax, but I can't get an analog channel 3/4.

I'd rather not get a VCR, don't have room for a CRT, and would rather not spend the kind of money in the page 1 links.

Has anyone used/found anything worthwhile since these last posts?

Thanks

I rotated TVs last week, and my basement TV, which was a 2007 Sony, is now a 2012ish Vizio.. and though I managed to get the ColecoVision working (modded), the INTV isn't working. Same connection through the coax, but I can't get an analog channel 3/4.

I'd rather not get a VCR, don't have room for a CRT, and would rather not spend the kind of money in the page 1 links.

Has anyone used/found anything worthwhile since these last posts?

Thanks

Well to be fair the VCR is the cheaper version of what was posted on page 1 (albeit its AV output)

So either expensive converter, which is a lot smaller, or cheaper converter, which is much bigger (VCR)

• Like 1

Ive been looking for a solution to imperfect picture on my LCD HDTV. I have the inty running through a dvd recorder the out to the tv via composite phonos. Its better than rf direct but not perfect.

The thing is, nothing between av/rgb mods or devices like the OP linked are proven to work all the time.

• Like 1