IGNORED

Arcade Archives Wish List

OscarGungan

I just bought my first Arcade Archives download, Mario Bros for the switch. That led me to look at the lists for all the other systems. These seem to be clean, no frills ports of the games. I'd love to see BurgerTime and Donkey Kong, although there are probably some issues with rights. What would some of you like to see or what are some experiences you have had with this line.

I'd love Super Dodgeball, but that just is never going to happen. That game is so mean and nasty in how it ramps up by the country you visit and the way the AI works is random, no pattern to it at all. Yet despite all that it's a truly fun game that requires some serious skill to survive. Unlike any console version only the big guy can catch and throw the power shots on your side. The enemy same for the wimps, but the fat kids and the frankenstein looking captains are a nightmare. And no matter what stage and what extra stuff they cheat throwing another dude at you, it's still a 3min clock or you lose.

In case it's of interest, arcade Vanguard was released as a PSP Mini. For $3 off the Playstation Store, you can download it and play it on a PSP, PS3, Vita, or PSTV. Same with Vanguard 2, which I don't think was previously available on home hardware back in the day.

And several of those on SlidellMan's list are already in the Arcade Archives program, although not necessarily available on all three platforms at this time. Most of the earlier AA releases before the NeoGeo took center stage and Hamster took the program multiplatform, have yet to move past the PS4. Darius, Bubble Bobble, Legend of Kage are all available for instance, with perhaps 1 or 2 others also out that I've forgotten. And several others like Ninja Gaiden and the Darius sequels are likely save bets in the not too distant future.

I kind of hope the Namco and Capcom properties don't appear here though. I'd personally rather see both publishers do their legacy some justice with a traditional compilation with 30-40 classics on disc for $20-$30, rather than these standalone $8 a pop digital releases.

Building up a nice collection of Arcade Archives releases will be rather expensive in the long run. And the new Data East program along with the Psikyo ports on the Switch like Strikers 1945 are equally expensive. Not an exorbitant price point for an occasional game, but just three AA releases will cost more than the average PS2 era compilation with 20-40 classics did after sales tax was tacked on.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I've gotten Mario Bros and Double Dragon so far -- two of my all-time childhood favorites. I really like using the Switch as a small virtual arcade, which I hadn't even really thought about when I got it. Wii was good for Virtual Console games, and I never got into the XBLA (though I guess I should have). I'd love to see a wide array of 2-player co-op games, because of (to paraphrase something I read somewhere) "the breezy co-op nature of the Switch". Double Dragon's a favorite, and fun, but Mario Bros has gotten a lot more time than I expected with my wife and I.

The recent/upcoming Street Fighter releases sort of negate the need for that from Arcade Archives, but some other top-level 2-D fighters from roughly the '92-'02 era might be great. The licensing around any of the Capcom Vs series would be a mess, though, so that one's a pipe dream. Arcade Archives already has the rights to Neo-Geo stuff like King Of Fighters and Fatal Fury, right?

I'm a sucker for beat 'em ups (*ahem* Double Dragon), so I'd love to grab some Final Fight and that ilk. and of course, all those glorious and probably un-possible Konami games like X-Men, TMNT, Captain America & The Avengers, The Simpsons... etc. *sigh* But I'll double the love for Kung Fu Master and raise a Shinobi.

But I have noticed that while the official "Arcade Archives" has been kind of "platformy", I'd love to see just a handful of my favorite shooters. Gradius, Life Force, R-Type, Twinbee, Xevious, Darius, et al. I adore Space Harrier, but I don't see that one getting the love anytime soon.

NBA Jam would be a slam dunk (sorry), but I wonder what the licensing around that one is, what with the players' names and likenesses.

So, I guess on the less-licensed side, Robotron 2084 is one of my favorite golden age games, and it's underrepresented, if a little spartan in presentation from a sales perspective. But how about Smash TV and Total Carnage?

I suppose I can hold out hope for weirdos like NARC and Sinistar.

And Double Dragon II. Just 'cause.

NBA Jam was bought by EA when Midway imploded and has a similar remake on last-gen consoles, but the arcade original has yet to resurface anywhere.

You missed your chance for some of those licensed Konami games. Captain America & the Avengers didn't make it out, but I believe the other three did for the PS3 and 360 (All delisted now due to license expirations). But if it happened once, it could happen again. So hopefully it works out in your favor and they hit the eShop one of these days.

And most of those shooters are already available or confirmed for an Arcade Archives release. Darius is already out and the arcade sequels are on the way, Gradius I & II are out with 3 & 4 confirmed, Salmander/Life Force is out, TwinBee is out, and R-Type is announced. So in time, you should get it all except for Xevious and Space Harrier since there's no sign they have a Namco or Sega deal. And Double Dragon II is also already out, albeit not yet on the Switch.

But like I said, they're not necessarily all on the Switch eShop at this exact moment since the Arcade Archives line predates the system's launch. But Hamster is slowly rectifying that over time and R-Type is already announced for all three platforms and should be pretty much a simultaneous launch.

Hamster doesn't have a license for the Midway stuff and doesn't seem interested in pursuing western arcade classics judging by what they've licensed so far. But if you own a Xbox One, the Xbox 360 compilation Midway Arcade Origins is on the backwards compatible list and includes all of it except Narc (And Lego Dimensions includes several of them as unlockables, although it never got a Switch port).

I highly recommend Midway Arcade Origins if you own a 360/XB1/PS3. It has its flaws, but overall it's a great collection.

Edited by Atariboy

• 3 weeks later...

Hamster has acquired the Video System arcade library.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/03/hamster_acquires_rights_to_complete_video_system_catalogue

So Aero Fighters 1 is all but assured (An arcade game that they've already emulated and released on the PS2 a few years ago). I also imagine that we'll get Lethal Crash Race, which was an average overhead racer.

I wonder what other arcade games they made though outside of their two overhead F1 games that don't stand a chance of a release without heavy editing. Via their old licensing agreement, they've already released Aero Fighters 2 and Aero Fighters 3 should appear this month.

And Sonic Wings Special probably will remain a PS1 Classic off the Playstation Store, since the arcade version as I understand it ran on hardware that essentially was a PS1. Probably difficult to justify emulating it for an Arcade Archives release unless they have several more games lined up that ran on this arcade hardware.

Edited by Atariboy

The 20 Data East arcade games that Flying Tiger Entertainment has licensed from G-Mode are supposed to be multiplatform releases. Xbox One, Playstation 4, Switch, and PC.

They appear to be hitting the Switch eShop first though. Gate of Doom released on the 15th of February and Bad Dudes is due on the 21st of this month, while XB1 and PS4 haven't even gotten Gate of Doom yet.

Annoyingly, Bad Dudes is supposed to be priced at $10. $8 like Gate of Doom and the competing Arcade Archives line goes for already was top dollar for a digital download of a single classic arcade game. Makes me glad I bought Data East Arcade Classics for the Wii when it was released.

Edited by Atariboy

It releases on the Switch next Thursday. Unsure if that holds true for the PS4, and according to Wikipedia, it isn't yet announced for the Xbox One.

Is there an available list of upcoming Arcade Archives titles and release dates for the Switch eShop, beyond the Wikipedia page?

I just look at the weekly list that NintendoLife posts about the upcoming downloads for the next 7 days, such as this one.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/03/nintendo_download_15th_march_north_america

Not aware of something covering the entire program across different platforms, past the Wikipedia article.

Edited by Atariboy

The 20 Data East arcade games that Flying Tiger Entertainment has licensed from G-Mode are supposed to be multiplatform releases. Xbox One, Playstation 4, Switch, and PC.

They appear to be hitting the Switch eShop first though. Gate of Doom released on the 15th of February and Bad Dudes is due on the 21st of this month, while XB1 and PS4 haven't even gotten Gate of Doom yet.

Annoyingly, Bad Dudes is supposed to be priced at $10. $8 like Gate of Doom and the competing Arcade Archives line goes for already was top dollar for a digital download of a single classic arcade game. Makes me glad I bought Data East Arcade Classics for the Wii when it was released.

REALLY want Bad Dudes on PS4.