Photo

Anyone have an Epson HX-20?

7 replies to this topic

#1 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 8,211 posts

Posted Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:26 PM

Okay, this one has me curious now.  Anyone have one of these?
The display is obviously tiny, but it has some other features I'm interested in.

#2 krslam OFFLINE  

krslam

Dragonstomper

• 534 posts

Posted Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:44 PM

I have one that I picked up at some thrift/estate/yard sale at some point, but it's never worked and I keep it around just because it looks cool.  Mine has an expansion box called RealVoice and there's a sticker on the back that warns about properly attaching the unit to a wheelchair so it must have served a disabled person at some point.

Beyonds that, not much I can tell you.

#3 rpiguy9907 OFFLINE  

rpiguy9907

Chopper Commander

• 186 posts

Posted Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:14 AM

I have the successor called the PX-8. Built like a tank, the screws in that thing could hold up a door frame. Also, if the NiCAD batteries are completely drained it won't boot at all. It cannot run off of A/C power. Also, the micro cassette works like a floppy, and if memory serves can hold 12 files totaling 60K.

#4 krslam OFFLINE  

krslam

Dragonstomper

• 534 posts

Posted Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:37 AM

Didn't know about the battery thing - I'll look into that.  I've got the PX-8, too.  That one does work. 

#5 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,211 posts

Posted Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:40 PM

I was interested because of the 6301, which is an enhanced version of the MC6801... which is the same instruction set as the 6803 that I've been spending a lot of time on.
The PX-8 looks like a much nicer machine btw.  I'd love one of those.  Can't afford it at the moment.

#6 x=usr(1536) OFFLINE  

x=usr(1536)

Dragonstomper

• 841 posts

Posted Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:12 PM

I had an HX-20 aeons ago, complete with printer and microcassette drive.  Unfortunately, it's long-gone, but here're my recollections of it:

They're a neat machine from an historical perspective, but overall practicality is somewhat limited.  There's almost no original software available for them.  The keyboard is better to use than it might at first look with a nicely-readable non-backlit LCD.  BASIC is built-in and is a variant of Microsoft BASIC, IIRC.  I think there may also have been a monitor mode akin to the one in the Apple ][, but that may be my memory playing tricks on me.

They're really a product of their time - and by that I mean that they're representative of trying to figure out what usable mobile computers would look and act like.  That's not to knock them, but if you're interested in them I'd recommend asking yourself if you want it because of its place in the history of computing, or because you want something to use and enjoy regularly.  If your answer is the former, you'll probably be better off in the long run than if it's the latter.

Edited by x=usr(1536), Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:13 PM.

• jhd likes this

#7 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,211 posts

Posted Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:01 PM

I'm pretty sure I have no intention of using it other than playing around with it to see what the hardware was like.

The screen is tiny.

I have a Laser PC4, and I'd like a PX-8... just cause

Edited by JamesD, Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:03 PM.

#8 rpiguy9907 OFFLINE  

rpiguy9907

Chopper Commander

• 186 posts

Posted Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:54 PM

Looks like th 6301 has bitfield instructions and a sleep instruction, plus a ton of IO that otherwise would have had to been bolted on externally otherwise.

https://www.jaapsch....X_datasheet.pdf

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users