Is a MiST worth it?

FPGA MiST Amiga

36 replies to this topic

#26 Newsdee OFFLINE  

Newsdee

Stargunner

• 1,211 posts

Posted Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:07 PM

They are the same. The MiST 1.3 with MIDI ports are all made by Lotharek.

#27 Newsdee OFFLINE  

Newsdee

Stargunner

• 1,211 posts

Posted Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:05 PM

By the way some core development for the MiST is still going on:

- The CPC core is still seeing updates
- a Vectrex core just came out
- a russian computer clone also came out (Robotron something, unrelated to the arcade game)

#28 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 12,532 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:40 AM

Has anyone tried the MiST through an OSSC? That has a VGA port built into it. A MiST is really tempting to me as I can't see myself owning many of these machines any time soon due to cost reasons (Amiga and MSX in particular), and buying software for my Atari ST isn't cheap either.

#29 Newsdee OFFLINE  

Newsdee

Stargunner

• 1,211 posts

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:58 AM

Has anyone tried the MiST through an OSSC? That has a VGA port built into it. A MiST is really tempting to me as I can't see myself owning many of these machines any time soon due to cost reasons (Amiga and MSX in particular), and buying software for my Atari ST isn't cheap either.

I use mine with an XRGB Framemeister to upscale to 1080p and it works fine.

#30 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 6,665 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:38 AM

I use mine with an XRGB Framemeister to upscale to 1080p and it works fine.

What do you put between the Framemeister and the MIST?

#31 Newsdee OFFLINE  

Newsdee

Stargunner

• 1,211 posts

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:20 AM

What do you put between the Framemeister and the MIST?

Good point, forgot to mention it.

I use the Sync Strike from ArcadeForge to go from VGA into SCART, then use a custom EURO SCART cable for the XRGB (not the JP21 cable that comes with it)

Turns out the XRGB accepts both 15khz and 31khz signals fine (basically 240p and 480p for NTSC). I got the idea from reading Dreamcast forums that used a similar setup.

The MiST can provide both resolutions with a config setting. Some cores run at PAL (50hz) and others at NTSC (60hz) standards. The XRGB handles all of them fine, upscaling to 1080p at 60hz.

The OSSC should work for upscaling, but note that it won't convert a 50hz signal into 60hz for lack of framebuffer memory.

Edited by Newsdee, Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:26 AM.

#32 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 6,665 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:17 AM

I use the Sync Strike from ArcadeForge to go from VGA into SCART, then use a custom EURO SCART cable for the XRGB (not the JP21 cable that comes with it)

Thanks. Fortunately I have all of that stuff save for the Sync Strike (although it doesn't look very plug and play friendly and doesn't even come with a power adapter). The lack of VGA input is the only thing really missing from the XRGB-mini.

#33 phoenixdownita OFFLINE  

phoenixdownita

River Patroller

• 3,086 posts

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:31 AM

Turns out the XRGB accepts both 15khz and 31khz signals fine (basically 240p and 480p for NTSC). I got the idea from reading Dreamcast forums that used a similar setup.

The MiST can provide both resolutions with a config setting. Some cores run at PAL (50hz) and others at NTSC (60hz) standards. The XRGB handles all of them fine, upscaling to 1080p at 60hz.

The OSSC should work for upscaling, but note that it won't convert a 50hz signal into 60hz for lack of framebuffer memory.

How do you combine Hsync Vsync into CSYNC? 

[I already have an inline LM-1881 in a scart extender that I regularly use with my XRGB mini when I play NeoGeo on it]

Nevermind:

http://www.epanorama...s/vga2rgbs.html

a simple XOR circuit with a couple of resistors.

or even:

http://www.nexusuk.o...a2scart/circuit

#34 Newsdee OFFLINE  

Newsdee

Stargunner

• 1,211 posts

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:58 PM

How do you combine Hsync Vsync into CSYNC? 
[I already have an inline LM-1881 in a scart extender that I regularly use with my XRGB

That's the job of the sync strike:
http://arcadeforge.n...Strike::15.html

Edited by Newsdee, Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:59 PM.

#35 phoenixdownita OFFLINE  

phoenixdownita

River Patroller

• 3,086 posts

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:09 AM

That's the job of the sync strike:
http://arcadeforge.n...Strike::15.html

I just wanted to know in order to make my own.

I did not know the XRGB Mini RGB input accepts a 31KHz signal.

I believe that the sync strike makes you select if you have H/V (that it needs to combine via the XOR) or composite (that it needs to strip via the LM1881) as sync input and it always outputs CSYNC

The LM1881 is a 1$ piece and I suspect the XOR is even cheaper .... and it makes it for a fun project one of these days.

#36 Newsdee OFFLINE  

Newsdee

Stargunner

• 1,211 posts

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:50 AM

Another option, if you look in the forums, is to use a special mode with a custom circuit to output component video (YPbPr):
http://www.atari-for...tart=50#p325928

In the same thread somebody also made a fully generic RGB to component converter (some posts after the link above). There are many video options :)

Edited by Newsdee, Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:54 AM.

#37 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 12,532 posts

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:59 AM

Thanks for the info. I am going to heavily consider getting one of these then. I have a OSSC and a Framemeister, so worst-case scenario I can run one into the other if problems arise using the OSSC by itself.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FPGA, MiST, Amiga

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users